Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

How much heat can a human endure ?

UM-Bot

Just mentioned this slightly related observation to a friend over lunch the other day...

I put a rack of ribs in the slow cooker @ 220 degrees for six hours and the meat slides off the bone.

Meanwhile, the ribs in my body, have spent 50-ish years @ 99 degrees and... no slidey.

My air conditioner is out. I’m getting close.

Nibs

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UM-Bot said:

With heatwaves seeing temperature records being broken on a regular basis, just how hot is too hot ?

When the wet bulb temperature reaches 95F, the human body can no longer cool itself.  At that point, heat stroke and death is inevitable unless the person can be cooled down immediately.

Wet bulb temperature can be determined by wrapping a piece of cloth around a thermometer, dipping it in water and swinging it through the air until the temperature stabilizes.

By the time this condition exists, environmental damage will already have made survival dubious.

Doug

How much heat can a human endure ?
Not as much as sleeping with Emilia Clarke or Rihanna with touching prohibited.

I worked in places where it regularly reached 56c on a daily basis in summer time.. we peaked at 59.4c one of those days..