Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Raven667

In Buddhism their is a big belief about living in the now and not thinking about the past or future I struggle with that I once had an interest in becoming a Buddhist but I don't think I have the Torrance to be one I don't know I just posting this because it's interesting 

c30a2e4fa3e032e99355b51c6a1b9ffe.jpg

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Raven667 said:

In Buddhism their is a big belief about living in the now and not thinking about the past or future I struggle with that I once had an interest in becoming a Buddhist but I don't think I have the Torrance to be one I don't know I just posting this because it's interesting 

According to Buddhist philosophy life itself is based upon what is simply known as Cause and Effect. While, we can not be expected to control all event s that 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

According to Buddhist philosophy life itself is based upon what is simply known as Cause and Effect. While, we can not be expected to control all event s that 

And their is also a belief about karma

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Raven667 said:

Hi Raven

There are lots of beliefs, some think they will win at playing the ponies.

PS

Now is the experience of living in the past, present and future simultaneously

Edited by closed for business
not sure but did it anyway
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Raven667 said:

Raven you are right but, I dont think you fully grasp Buddhist Philosophy concerning Reincarnation and Karma. Here is better explanation that I found for you, so I cut and pasted it below:

Reincarnation And Karma

Reincarnation and Karma. The karmic path of our life is a topic that inflamed the most different perspectives and religions; especially when it intersects with other mysterious subjects such as that of reincarnation.

Are we bound to live other lives after death?

Why would we need to do this and what would be our mission in that second, third or fourth chance?

In this article we will discuss the concepts of karma, reincarnation and the afterlife in order to dive into some of the explanations of the theory of eternal return.

Law of Karma and Reincarnation

Also known as the Law of Cause and Effect, Karma is the cyclic mechanism, structured on the basis of outstanding accounts, which governs the life of human beings in their different lives on the face of the Earth. Its philosophy starts on the premise that the soul has a particular history and travels in time through different bodies, both animal and human. This “biography” of souls contains all the good and bad actions they have done in their different paths, and therefore is a kind of continuous assessment of the decisions made in each of the past lives. From these individual stories, each person has a karmic burden which will carry in this life, and according to which their actions will take a new meaning; hence the importance of reflecting on our actions.

Peace my friend 

• Like 3

Humans are unique among known creatures.

Our past was once our future and our present.

Our present will become our past and our future;

Our  future will  eventually become our present and our past 

While there are things beyond our control, we can  largely shape our past, present, and future, to our will,  by planning for the future, and acting in the present 

Thus we can "change" our past,  (although we have to do so while it is still our future) and create our future, thus eventually changing our past from  what it might have been 

And we are capable of seeing past, present, and future; both as elements of a linear timeline, but also as a tapestry of interwoven threads, forming one single picture The picture on that  tapestry can be envisaged, or seen, (as the entire picture of our lives ) by us,  from  the time of our childhood to the time of our death.  although we have the opportunity to reshape it completely or simply alter minor details within it .

Looked a t in one way there IS no now that is isolated from past and future. 

You CANNOT just live in the now, because, as you are doing so,  you are also living in, and shaping, your past and your future 

Edited by Mr Walker
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

12 hours ago, Mr Walker said:

Humans are unique among known creatures.

Our past was once our future and our present.

Our present will become our past and our future;

Our  future will  eventually become our present and our past 

While there are things beyond our control, we can  largely shape our past, present, and future, to our will,  by planning for the future, and acting in the present 

Thus we can "change" our past,  (although we have to do so while it is still our future) and create our future, thus eventually changing our past from  what it might have been 

And we are capable of seeing past, present, and future; both as elements of a linear timeline, but also as a tapestry of interwoven threads, forming one single picture The picture on that  tapestry can be envisaged, or seen, (as the entire picture of our lives ) by us,  from  the time of our childhood to the time of our death.  although we have the opportunity to reshape it completely or simply alter minor details within it .

Looked a t in one way there IS no now that is isolated from past and future. 

You CANNOT just live in the now, because, as you are doing so,  you are also living in, and shaping, your past and your future 

Is this your attempt at Buddhism? :P

• Haha 3

On 8/3/2021 at 2:33 AM, Raven667 said:

I love this quote, excellent thread,

My add to: Living in the “now’, is called Mindfulness, it is an ability to focus and regulate ones awareness on the current experience one is having (whatever that is). Mindfulness involves directing attention to the present moment, it isn’t  about suppressing anything such as, unpleasant feelings and thoughts or worrying less or not experiencing anything painful, living mindfully means a person accepts what is unpleasant or pleasant, whether it is emotions or thoughts or sensations and goes from there. Mindfulness teaches a person to focus the attention on what is happening in the moment, non judgmentally. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Cue Master Oogway... 

17d180181d3547e200d02a79904cad03.jpg

~

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

7 hours ago, Sherapy said:

Is this your attempt at Buddhism? :P

No

It is an (accurate ) explanation of the way human cognition constructs and creates  our realities 

Buddhism, and all other faiths, are examples of how humans can construct ( and believe in )  concepts created   to help them codify and explain things the y can perceive, but not fully understand .

It is how i see and understand the nature of time, and my own relationship to/with the passage of time. 

Since I was about 12 I've never experienced time as past, present  or future  The y are all the same thing seen from different points along our relationship with time   eg I  cant regret or feel guilt about the past, anymore than I  can feel guilt or regret about the future.

I choose my present and future, and thus (outside of random, external influences, which are rare)  I have chosen my past.

How /why can one feel guilt or regret for one's own choices?

Ps My birth, my death  and the 70 plus years in between don't exist in my mind as discrete events, separated  by time.

In my perception/mind, all those things exist simultaneously and I can access/contemplate etc., any or all of them.

I can revisit them in my dreams and imagination,  and play  around with alternative realities that i might have chosen and what alternate timelines they might have produced and how that would alter the picture on my tapestry of life .

I can see multiple options and potentialities for my future and  I can, and do, plan and act  to make one of them part of my time line or the tapestry of my life.

We all plan, choose and weave our individual tapestry, but some do it with greater  conscious care and thought than others,  and thus produce a better looking tapestry. 

Edited by Mr Walker
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Mr Walker said:

No

It is an (accurate ) explanation of the way human cognition constructs and creates  our realities 

Buddhism, and all other faiths, are examples of how humans can construct ( and believe in )  concepts created   to help them codify and explain things the y can perceive, but not fully understand .

It is how i see and understand the nature of time, and my own relationship to/with the passage of time. 

Since I was about 12 I've never experienced time as past, present  or future  The y are all the same thing seen from different points along our relationship with time   eg I  cant regret or feel guilt about the past, anymore than I  can feel guilt or regret about the future.

I choose my present and future, and thus (outside of random, external influences, which are rare)  I have chosen my past.

How /why can one feel guilt or regret for one's own choices?

Ps My birth, my death  and the 70 plus years in between don't exist in my mind as discrete events, separated  by time.

In my perception/mind, all those things exist simultaneously and I can access/contemplate etc., any or all of them.

I can revisit them in my dreams and imagination,  and play  around with alternative realities that i might have chosen and what alternate timelines they might have produced and how that would alter the picture on my tapestry of life .

I can see multiple options and potentialities for my future and  I can, and do, plan and act  to make one of them part of my time line or the tapestry of my life.

We all plan, choose and weave our individual tapestry, but some do it with greater  conscious care and thought than others,  and thus produce a better looking tapestry. 

You have provided an excellent example of mindlessness.  Buddhism suggests the practice of mindfulness or acceptance with perceiving reality as it is right now, it is about acknowledging what is present. Typically we see what we don’t want to see and what we wish to see differently not unlike your example of guilt. I would suggest to simply explore the guilt with open observation see what insights are gleaned, go from there, feeling guilt and regret is part and parcel of the human experience.  It is common in mindlessness to invest a lot of time denying what is there. A lot of time and energy goes into resisting something that cannot  be changed in the first place, the OP quote is an excellent way to put it. Living mindfully one accepts both pleasant and unpleasant sensations, emotions and the thoughts that do arise aren’t pushed away or denied, in mindfulness there is a willingness to let them be, just as they are in the present moment. The goal of mindfulness is not to get rid of internal states, but to change the relationship with these states one of Acceptance not resistance. Thoughts and feelings will always arise this is simply how the mind works in mindfulness practice one directs their attention in a gentle and compassionate way. The important point is to be kind to yourself when you notice anger, guilt, fear, pain, regret, be kind when you notice that you j(general) judge, and get distracted, etc. this is the mind wanting to avoid pain, as ones practice deepens one observes and Understands that all things  are transient and there is another way Acceptance of what is as opposed  to constructing elaborate tales to avoid things. In mindfulness, it is called open awareness. 

Just my two cents from a mindful practice. 

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Sherapy said:

You have provided an excellent example of mindlessness.  Buddhism suggests the practice of mindfulness or acceptance with perceiving reality as it is right now, it is about acknowledging what is present. Typically we see what we don’t want to see and what we wish to see differently not unlike your example of guilt. I would suggest to simply explore the guilt with open observation see what insights are gleaned, go from there, feeling guilt and regret is part and parcel of the human experience.  It is common in mindlessness to invest a lot of time denying what is there. A lot of time and energy goes into resisting something that cannot  be changed in the first place, the OP quote is an excellent way to put it. Living mindfully one accepts both pleasant and unpleasant sensations, emotions and the thoughts that do arise aren’t pushed away or denied, in mindfulness there is a willingness to let them be, just as they are in the present moment. The goal of mindfulness is not to get rid of internal states, but to change the relationship with these states one of Acceptance not resistance. Thoughts and feelings will always arise this is simply how the mind works in mindfulness practice one directs their attention in a gentle and compassionate way. The important point is to be kind to yourself when you notice anger, guilt, fear, pain, regret, be kind when you notice that you j(general) judge, and get distracted, etc. this is the mind wanting to avoid pain, as ones practice deepens one observes and Understands that all things  are transient and there is another way Acceptance of what is as opposed  to constructing elaborate tales to avoid things. In mindfulness, it is called open awareness. 

Just my two cents from a mindful practice. 

You just HAVE to argue with anything/ everything I say don't you?  :) 

In part that has now had 3 threads recently closed. 

Address the topic, and not me, and I will respond 

I am mindful and always have been. I just see time differently to you.

I am ALWAYS  "in the moment" but "the moment"  includes past, present, and future.

ALL are one 

When I say that  I have no fears, no guilt, no anger, and never suffer from  life  etc ,that's simply the truth.

You cant accept it,  because you are not like that,  and so argue that I am denying something. 

I am always kind to myself :) 

But I don't experience fear, anger, guilt   emotional pain,  regret etc., because I choose not to construct these emotional  responses. 

They are learned responses, and you can learn not to construct them.

Of course all things are transient and of course  acceptance is important but only in things we cannot change or control  I don't have to accept or tolerate anger or fear etc. i just choose not to construct them ie we CAN choose and change how we perceive and respond to ANY stimuli;  both internal and external .

eg  Someone kills a person you love 

You have a choice about how to respond 

with  grief, hate, anger, etc., or with compassion, love and forgiveness .

You (and anyone) is CAPABLE of choosing either or any of those responses .

It requires will, discipline, and knowing how, but its quite simple and easy to do.  

Use a simpler example.

Someone runs into your car.

You have  range of responses you can choose to construct

From  anger, and even violence, to calmness and acceptance.    

Ps guilt is even easier.

Never do anything which you might feel guilty about, and you will never feel guilt. 

Unless you intended to do harm or hurt, then guilt is illogical and  not rational   

Some people are trained to feel guilt as children, by their parents,  even though they have done nothing to be guilty for.

.Its harder  for them to stop feeling guilty about everything, as adults. 

Edited by Mr Walker

The now never was; it always is. Today is the future we imagined yesterday. Old Zen-Calvinist Saying:yes:

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Mr Walker said:

You just HAVE to argue with anything/ everything I say don't you?  :) 

In part that has now had 3 threads recently closed. 

Address the topic, and not me, and I will respond 

I am mindful and always have been. I just see time differently to you.

I am ALWAYS  "in the moment" but "the moment"  includes past, present, and future.

ALL are one 

When I say that  I have no fears, no guilt, no anger, and never suffer from  life  etc ,that's simply the truth.

You cant accept it,  because you are not like that,  and so argue that I am denying something. 

I am always kind to myself :) 

But I don't experience fear, anger, guilt   emotional pain,  regret etc., because I choose not to construct these emotional  responses. 

They are learned responses, and you can learn not to construct them.

Of course all things are transient and of course  acceptance is important but only in things we cannot change or control  I don't have to accept or tolerate anger or fear etc. i just choose not to construct them ie we CAN choose and change how we perceive and respond to ANY stimuli;  both internal and external .

eg  Someone kills a person you love 

You have a choice about how to respond 

with  grief, hate, anger, etc., or with compassion, love and forgiveness .

You (and anyone) is CAPABLE of choosing either or any of those responses .

It requires will, discipline, and knowing how, but its quite simple and easy to do.  

Use a simpler example.

Someone runs into your car.

You have  range of responses you can choose to construct

From  anger, and even violence, to calmness and acceptance.    

Ps guilt is even easier.

Never do anything which you might feel guilty about, and you will never feel guilt. 

Unless you intended to do harm or hurt, then guilt is illogical and  not rational   

Some people are trained to feel guilt as children, by their parents,  even though they have done nothing to be guilty for.

.Its harder  for them to stop feeling guilty about everything, as adults. 

It is a discussion on a topic that I find interesting, just my two cents, if it is frustrating or challenging explore it internally and go from there. Or as is said, “this to shall pass” in other words, emotions, thoughts etc are transient anyway. 

The point is what is being described is not mindfulness, or living in the now. In a mindfulness lifestyle, Emotions, feelings, sensations are a part of life, For example: If guilt arose in the present it would be accepted and one would go from there. 

FYI, guilt is adaptive too in a positive sense. 

All the best,

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 1

Accidentally on purpose... No remorse 

That's practically psychopathic that is... 

~

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Everything moves,  but the observer?   It's insisted upon that time is real? .. (mainly because it appears to vary, as relative motions vary?)   But, I wonder if we see 'the passing of time'...Or, simply see matter/energy in Motion. ?

We measure time by the motions of the earth ,by itself, and in relation to the sun.    IF those motions suddenly changed (faster or slower). "TIME" would change as well.    That's why I say time is not real, it is simply a measurement of motions.  ?      

I think maybe Space is a fundamental part of all Energy/Matter. ..so,  matter/energy/space can bend and curve and contort in any manner.... and those motions could be measured by any time standard we wished to impose upon them .?   

Edited by lightly
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, third_eye said:

Accidentally on purpose... No remorse 

That's practically psychopathic that is... 

~

Great point, It is considered psychopathic or sociopathic not to experience remorse or guilt.  

I care for late stage dementia where people have lost the ability to communicate verbally, but they do not lose the ability to communicate emotionally, they express many emotions as a way to communicate, so do babies. 

We know so much more about our emotions now then we once did.  In mindfulness as a lifestyle one experiences their emotions by accepting them and going from there. 

• Thanks 1

Okay, a bit to read, I got it, I like,, "' be mindful " ,

now,

I just have (try!!!) to remember that.

ps: i for one am more than pleased with this site, , to all, thanks for all of your posts, high content heavy an vetted too, always a plus. 

Sorry, informal, i am on a toy phone, system s are offline.

Great thread!

Edited by Nosy.Matters
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Hammerclaw said:

The now never was; it always is. Today is the future we imagined yesterday. Old Zen-Calvinist Saying:yes:

As you know, I am a big proponent of mindfulness, and meditation and been in mindfulness based therapy ( 5 years) as a proactive approach to living my best life and being of service to those that deal with anxiety whether it is due to a trauma, illness etc. I have deep gratitude to my hubby for having such great medical insurance so that I could get the best help. I would say that the path of Zen Buddhism teaches the same thing, so does a yoga practice. 

Meditation whether it is formal or moving is just good for humans and I am grateful for the philosophies that discovered this long ago. 

Being mindful is being fully human and embracing this. IMHO.

‘You had a great post once about the wonder of emotions, we gotta find it, you put it so beautifully how running the gamut of emotions are :wub:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

As you know, I am a big proponent of mindfulness, and meditation and been in mindfulness based therapy ( 5 years) as a proactive approach to living my best life and being of service to those that deal with anxiety whether it is due to a trauma, illness etc. I have deep gratitude to my hubby for having such great medical insurance so that I could get the best help. I would say that the path of Zen Buddhism teaches the same thing, so does a yoga practice. 

Meditation whether it is formal or moving is just good for humans and I am grateful for the philosophies that discovered this long ago. 

Being mindful is being fully human and embracing this. IMHO.

‘You had a great post once about the wonder of emotions, we gotta find it, you put it so beautifully how running the gamut of emotions are :wub:

Guilt is the simple acknowledgement to one that one has done something one considers wrong. Remorse is to wish one hadn't done it and atonement is to publicly confess and redress or pay the consequence for the act.

We are an emotional species and our emotions evolved with us, love, hate, anger, remorse, We are complex intellects capable of grasping the infinite, but condemned to a finite existence. So, we dive deep into our emotions, our sublime and irrational notions and artistic modes of expression, to compensate for the limited expanse of time the stingy universe affords us. Emotions are compensating mechanisms.

Edited by Hammerclaw
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/3/2021 at 5:33 AM, Raven667 said:

Worry and regret are quite motivational, if acted on positively. No emotion is an end unto itself, only a beginning, as is every waking moment.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

Guilt is the simple acknowledgement to one that one has done something one considers wrong. Remorse is to wish one hadn't done it and atonement is to publicly confess and redress or pay the consequence for the act.

We are an emotional species and our emotions evolved with us, love, hate, anger, remorse, We are complex intellects capable of grasping the infinite, but condemned to a finite existence. So, we dive deep into our emotions, our sublime and irrational notions and artistic modes of expression, to compensate for the limited expanse of time the stingy universe affords us. Emotions are compensating mechanisms.

My gosh, I was thinking how being interdependent includes adaptive guilt and remorse, in my mind, it is proactive empathy towards each other. When one can feel, relate to and understand the other whatever the issue it will be resolved.  

Well said my friend. 

• Thanks 1

As Jesus had  taught 

New King James Version
that they all may be one, as You, Father, are in Me, and I in You; that they also may be one in Us, that the world may believe that You sent Me.

That is the Trinity .Father ,Son and Holy spirit 

Edited by docyabut2
  • Like 2