Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

China Jails Outspoken Man for 18 Years for "picking quarrels and provoking trouble"

OverSword

Sun Dawu runs one of the country's largest private agricultural businesses in the northern province of Hebei.

Sun, 67, has in the past spoken out about human rights and politically sensitive topics.

He was found guilty of "picking quarrels and provoking trouble" - a charge often used against activists.

Other charges against him include illegally occupying farmland, assembling a crowd to attack state agencies and obstructing government workers from performing their duties. He was also fined 3.11 million yuan ($478,697; £343,227).

Sun's company is among China's biggest, with businesses ranging from meat processing and pet food to schools and hospitals.

Link

"The way they're investigating me now is making those close to us suffer and those who hate us rejoice. I wish to take the charges upon myself, even if they're severe, in exchange for the release of others. We are people who have made contributions to society," he said.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

"provoking trouble"

"Causing disharmony"

"Spreading rumors"

CCP catch phrases for anytime someone practices free speech. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

CCP catch phrases for anytime someone practices free speech.

I don't think we're that far from that scenario.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Buzz_Light_Year said:

I don't think we're that far from that scenario.

Some of us are closer than others.  Although this is a future that, aided by technocracy, is a possibility, I feel that much of our part of the world would have to be utterly destroyed before this could be implemented.  It's one thing when you have a culture that for generations has been conditioned to obey without question but that does not describe the USA.

• Like 3

Sun Luck

Sun Lights the Way

Could be CCP message backfires.

Edited by Nosy.Matters
tiger

11 hours ago, OverSword said:

It's one thing when you have a culture that for generations has been conditioned to obey without question but that does not describe the USA.

Even the Chinese youth have started a lying down movement  which might seem pretty tame to us, but in China they are already drawing severe criticism from the CCP as being anti-patriotic.  

• Like 1

CCP hates rich indigenous capitalists. They really don't have to do much of anything to get stepped on. Anything that makes them feel their grip on the reins of power slowly slipping, scares the crap out of CCP.

• Like 1

Well.... thar’s be most of this forum locked up.