Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Tokyo Olympics: Chinese nationalists turn on their athletes

OverSword

The pressure on Chinese athletes to perform has never been higher. Anything less than a gold is being seen as athletes being unpatriotic by furious nationalists online. The BBC's Waiyee Yip reports.

China's mixed doubles table tennis team made a tearful apology at the Tokyo Olympics last week - for winning a silver medal.

"I feel like I've failed the team... I'm sorry everyone," Liu Shiwen said, bowing in apology, tears welling in her eyes.

Her partner, Xu Xin, added: "The whole country was looking forward to this final. I think the entire Chinese team cannot accept this result."

Their finals loss against Japan in a sport they usually dominate had left many online furious.

On microblogging platform Weibo, some "keyboard warriors" attacked the pair, saying they had "failed the nation".

Others made unsubstantiated claims of referee bias towards Japan's Jun Mizutani and Mima Ito.

As nationalist fever continues to sweep the country, racking up the Olympic medal tally has become much more than just sporting glory.

For the ultra-nationalist crowd, losing an Olympic medal is akin to being "unpatriotic", experts told the BBC.

Link

It gets more bizarre, read the rest.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 3

People underestimate the ridiculous level of nationalism indoctrination that the CCP is doing to it's people as a way to keep control.

• Like 5

Nothing new in this... some folks just take any excuse to be miserable and rageful.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, quiXilver said:

Nothing new in this... some folks just take any excuse to be miserable and rageful.

But in the western hemisphere athletes don't apologize for winning silver with tears in their eyes. 

Something more than "some folks" being "miserable" is causing this reaction which only happens in the Chinese Olympic team

Edited by Hugh Mungus
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, razman said:

Maybe they execute them if they get less than a gold.

Their social score is probably lowered.  That's what you do to traitors, right?

• Like 3

Strange world.  China is competing with everybody else in the world to show their power.  I would hate to be a promising athlete in China.  Life could be miserable and short. If it keeps getting uglier, won't the best athletes just sandbag the Olympic trials and go professional for less hassle and more money? 

Did we not hear Americans booing the American women's soccer team for losing to Canada and ridiculing them for being woke?   We don't need to prove ourselves like China, we could just support our athletes, medals or not and welcome them home when the games are done. 

• Like 1

On 8/5/2021 at 3:19 AM, spartan max2 said:

People underestimate the ridiculous level of nationalism indoctrination that the CCP is doing to it's people as a way to keep control.

Meanwhile Americans are cheering on any team that is playing their own becAuse the women’s soccer team “takes the knee” and the Aussie press describes getting silver as ‘a disappointing evening’. 

• Like 2

On 8/5/2021 at 8:34 AM, Hugh Mungus said:

But in the western hemisphere athletes don't apologize for winning silver with tears in their eyes. 

Something more than "some folks" being "miserable" is causing this reaction which only happens in the Chinese Olympic team

Piers Morgan is a sinophile is s'pose.

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Golden Duck said:

Piers Morgan is a sinophile is s'pose.

In the cockwomble Olympics, Piers is always a gold medalist.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

In the cockwomble Olympics, Piers is always a gold medalist.

Warn me before the opening ceremony starts, please.

• Haha 2

On 8/4/2021 at 10:30 PM, Tatetopa said:

we could just support our athletes,

As long as they do the same for the nation they chose to represent on the world stage, I'd be fine with that.  I stopped watching baseball and pro-football after those sports developed "Colin Cancer"  I'd have done the same for Round-ball except I never was a fan, anyway.  That was a personal decision and was mostly about what I saw as the double standard displayed for athletes being allowed to protest at work, specifically.

THIS situation is totally different.  The Olympics aren't about corporate athletes while the games are underway.  It's supposed to be the last true bastion of pure sports and global cooperation in a spirit of good will. ANYONE that gets there and chooses to spit on my country and flag is someone I'd be inclined to spit on.  But that's just me.  I get a little emotional about those who hate everything I spent a lifetime treasuring...

5 hours ago, and then said:

I get a little emotional about those who hate everything I spent a lifetime treasuring...

I think they want what you have; the freedom from fear and the sense of belonging and this being their country too.  Since America is their home as well, I always suspected they wanted to make America greater not lesser.  But that is just me.