Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Avi Loeb on finding evidence of alien life

UM-Bot

To quote Mr Loeb...

"So if we examine new data on the sky and find a mundane explanation to all these UAP - unidentified aerial phenomena - so be it," he said. "We learn something new."

Yes.  Like sprites, f'rinstance?  Science already looks, HARD, at any phenomena that is properly recorded - what is the issue?

"There must be some exotic phenomena taking place in our atmosphere."

Like sprites, again?  Done.  What else exactly is properly recorded and needs investigation?  Indeed, what sort of idiot investigates when they know they don't have ANY good data?

The only way we don't learn something new is if we say: business as usual, let's ignore it...

We DON'T ignore it.  We HAVE looked at that stuff that is even vaguely 'worthy'.  And found what, Avi?  You tell us..

"and we ridicule anyone that tries to suggest that we should get more evidence."

I'm sorry, but WHAT?  Can I have an example of that?

On the topic of the Pentagon's UFO report, he added:  "Well, unfortunately, the data that was released to the public is not of high-enough quality."

So Avi agrees with my point above...

You know, it was obtained in a jittery camera ...

That wasn't a "jittery camera", it was a camera not designed for precise identification, but for finding/tracking potential threats.

... that was in the cockpit of a fighter jet. And that's not the kind of data you can use for a scientific investigation because you don't have full control over your experimental setup. And in science, you cannot rely on eyewitness testimonies."

Wow, Avi and me agree, on that bit!

"What you need is instruments that the record quantitative data that you analyze, and that's what we plan to get. Rather than rely on past testimonies or past reports that do not stand up to the scrutiny of modern science, let's just get the data and figure it out."

Avi, no-one is going to spend much money on this given that there simply is NOT a single case of a (decently recorded) UFO doing anything beyond what terrestrial things could do.  Besides which, we have had at least 50 years of huge technical advances in both the quality and scope of our sky surveillance which is now many, many magnitudes greater than it has ever been.  And yet STILL the unidentified stuff is (always) just a tiny bit too far away to be resolved into a shape .. and they always seem to only hang around military aircraft in the USA....?

Gee golly gosh, why do ya think that might be...?

Duh.  This ain't rocket science.      Oh, wait...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, ChrLzs said:

We DON'T ignore it.  We HAVE looked at that stuff that is even vaguely 'worthy'.  And found what, Avi?  You tell us..

yep...for an Astrophysicist to come out with this kinda stuff is quite worrying IMO...

Avi, go grab a story, any ufo/ alien encounter claim & examine it- because as far as data goes that's all there is to examine= stories!

it gets tedious having to explain the bleeding obvious to some...it's even worse when you feel the need to explain the bleeding obvious to an Astrophysicist.

Or could this be Avi's attempt at getting a seat on the good ol' money earning ufo/ alien band waggon? Hmm we will see 

• Like 1

I'm guessing Avi might be the kinda guy who Googles himself to see what reaction he gets.. 

Avi, why not join up?  Be brave!  It's a well-moderated forum, with an unusually balanced clientele .. :) - I (and I'm sure others here) would enjoy a logical debate on the entire topic.

Added:  It's not uncommon for media reports to leave out context or twist the words of innocent interviewees... so if we are getting the wrong impression, it would be a good place to set the record straight.. Also, Avi, you could tell us what follows next - what will you be doing towards your stated goals? 

Edited by ChrLzs
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1