Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Seeing things on Mars: A history of Martian illusions

Still Waters

Humans have been seeing strange things on the surface of Mars for centuries. Perhaps it's because, other than Earth, Mars is the closest thing in the solar system to a habitable planet, or perhaps it's simply because it's close enough to get a pretty good look at. 

Either way, Earthlings have been fooled time and again by the rocky Martian surface and their own psychology. People have at various times reported finding everything from canals to spooky humanoid faces to alien Martian bases on the surface of the Red Planet — though each sighting has been thoroughly debunked.

In this vast universe, are Earthlings just desperate for next-door neighbors to play with? Looking back over the long history of Martian illusions (and human delusions), it certainly seems so.

https://www.livescience.com/33331-seeing-things-mars-history-martian-illusions-human-delusions.html

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

• 2 weeks later...

Searching for a 'squarish formation' on the bottom of the North Sea (Doggerland thread), I found this square structure on the surface of Mars (sorry, I didn't save the link) :

10406887_824712230900206_325061843326762128_n.jpg

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Abramelin said:

Searching for a 'squarish formation' on the bottom of the North Sea (Doggerland thread), I found this square structure on the surface of Mars (sorry, I didn't save the link) :

I did a quick check to find the source of that image but it seems that its available only on social media boards and UFO head boards so I doubt the image was taken on Mars until proven otherwise.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, toast said:

I did a quick check to find the source of that image but it seems that its available only on social media boards and UFO head boards so I doubt the image was taken on Mars until proven otherwise.

http://viewer.mars.asu.edu/planetview/inst/moc/M1800558#P=M1800558,E1000462&T=3

And check the b&w photo on the left, and scroll to the top of the photo.

• Thanks 4