Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
OverSword

Belarus Olympian Krystsina Tsimanouskaya Defects to Poland, Fearing for Her Life

OverSword

Belarus sprinter Krystsina Tsimanouskaya walked into the Polish embassy in Tokyo on Monday morning after being assured she would be granted asylum to avoid being forcibly returned to her home country.

In an interview with Reuters via Telegram messaging service, she said had been awakened early Sunday inside the Olympics Village and told she had to return to Belarus, despite being scheduled to compete in 200-meter heats Monday. “The head coach came over to me and said there had been an order from above to remove me,” she wrote to Reuters. “At 5 they came my room and told me to pack and they took me to the airport.”

At the airport, she refused to board a Turkish Airline flight to Minsk, and alerted IOC authorities that she feared for her safety. “I will not return to Belarus,” she told Reuters.

Link

• Thanks 2

Autochthon1990

Jeez, that's some 1980s cold war stuff right there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

and then
16 hours ago, Autochthon1990 said:

Jeez, that's some 1980s cold war stuff right there.

It happened often enough that KGB candidates who wanted to spy in the West had to be the best of the best and have absolutely no indications in their past that they might defect.  Little Vlad was accepted into that training program but wound up being booted from it because he got into a street brawl with several guys and got his arm broken because he lacked the self control to diffuse the fight.  He wound up in east Germany and was there when the wall fell.  He has an interesting biography, if even half of it's true ;)