Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

H. RES. 541 MuslimAmerican Heritage Month

OverSword

15 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Link

I say no to July.  How about April?   So then maybe in May Christian American Heritage Month and June could be one for the Jews, and possibly the Buddhists in August. 

On the other hand how about if we don't start celebrating or even recognizing the accomplishments of people based on a made up belief system.  Feel free to celebrate your own religion and recognize your religion all you want but keep your religion away from me.  It's not real, and I feel capable of choosing my own make believe stories to believe in and don't need anyone else's.  

Opinions?

Does anyone make you celebrate black history month in February, or women's week in March?    Why do you care, we don't get a new holiday out of it and no one is going to force you to do anything different than you usually do.    I agree that they are using the name of a religion instead of the region and if they are going to do that we should have the others, but there are not enough months in the year.  We don't need a christian month because we have Christmas, which starts right after Halloween and ends after New Years.   Maybe we need an asian appreciation month and the native americans need at least 2 months.

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Like 4

Can't have August. I've already claimed August. It's lilly white, Irish Atheist, birthday month. Mine...mine...mine...just ask my husband. :su

They are going to have to start giving everyone a week. There aren't enough months in the year to be fair to everyone.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

Why do you care

3 minutes ago, Michelle said:

They are going to have to start giving everyone a week. There aren't enough months in the year to be fair to everyone.

That's a good reason right there.  Enough already.  F&$% Res 541.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Link

I say no to July.  How about April?   So then maybe in May Christian American Heritage Month and June could be one for the Jews, and possibly the Buddhists in August. 

On the other hand how about if we don't start celebrating or even recognizing the accomplishments of people based on a made up belief system.  Feel free to celebrate your own religion and recognize your religion all you want but keep your religion away from me.  It's not real, and I feel capable of choosing my own make believe stories to believe in and don't need anyone else's.  

Opinions?

Well what should we recognize groups of people for??

I think that religion really isn't a good idea, there are too many of them so I suspect we would run out of months. 

Maybe we should celebrate skin color, it seems like that would be easier to fit into a monthly schedule.:yes:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

Maybe we should celebrate skin color, it seems like that would be easier to fit into a monthly schedule.:yes:

:unsure2:

What about people like @acute who doesn't have one. :no:

• Haha 9

12 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

I think that religion really isn't a good idea, there are too many of them so I suspect we would run out of months. 

How about if we celebrate my private parts?  Shouldn't need a whole month for that :nw:

• Haha 5

49 minutes ago, OverSword said:

That's a good reason right there.  Enough already.  F&$% Res 541.

Except that "being fair" isn't the goal.   Especially when there is no such thing as "fair"

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Manwon Lender said:

1 hour ago, Piney said:

:unsure2:

What about people like @acute who doesn't have one. :no:

A monthly schedule?

Nah..... Can't be arsed.

:td:

Edited by acute
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Desertrat56 said:

Does anyone make you celebrate black history month in February, or women's week in March?    Why do you care, we don't get a new holiday out of it and no one is going to force you to do anything different than you usually do.    I agree that they are using the name of a religion instead of the region and if they are going to do that we should have the others, but there are not enough months in the year.  We don't need a christian month because we have Christmas, which starts right after Halloween and ends after New Years.   Maybe we need an asian appreciation month and the native americans need at least 2 months.

Every day is Valentine's Day, so there's a clash.  No room to fit anything else in.:hmm:

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, Manwon Lender said:

Nah, religion isn't really a good idea.  But would Middle Eastern Heritage month get a better welcome from the right?  We'd have the same thread...different title.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Agent0range said:

Nah, religion isn't really a good idea.  But would Middle Eastern Heritage month get a better welcome from the right?  We'd have the same thread...different title.

I don't really know, but I believe that any holiday that is based upon any form of ethnic heritage is always going to be ridiculed by some other group. If I were able to make something officially occur, I would do away with all heritage holidays. Then I would start one under a single title and that would  arrybthe name of America Heritage Month. I feel that is the only legitimate name to use, because it's the type of heritage that everyone has in common that lives in the United States, the rest only create an environment of mistrust, criticism. anger. 

J?iMO

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Agent0range said:

Semite Heritage month might sound better.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, OverSword said:

Opinions?

It does get a bit silly.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

July I feel was an interesting choice for the month too. Can you think of anything else the United States of America celebrates in July?? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, OverSword said:

July I feel was an interesting choice for the month too. Can you think of anything else the United States of America celebrates in July?? 

Canada Day?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I totally want July to be Muslim American hermitage mouth, I love the idea of baking a cake in the shape of FGM and smacking an airplane shaped piñata with a stick that looks like a TWC tower. We at least need to recognize somehow that it’s only Islamic states that still punish homosexuality with death.

We already have a day for Americans to celebrate. It’s the 4th July and it’s for everyone,

• Like 2

Frankly I think every month should have a different culture. Give schoolkids something to focus on. I loved learning about Japan when I was in middle school, and middle east history to boot

• Like 2

1 minute ago, el midgetron said:

I totally want July to be Muslim American hermitage mouth, I love the idea of baking a cake in the shape of FGM and smacking an airplane shaped piñata with a stick that looks like a TWC tower. We at least need to recognize somehow that it’s only Islamic states that still punish homosexuality with death.

We already have a day for Americans to celebrate. It’s the 4th July and it’s for everyone,

Can you not be an ass for five minutes? Seriously, not every Muslim is a member of Al-Queda or ISIL

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Autochthon1990 said:

Frankly I think every month should have a different culture. Give schoolkids something to focus on. I loved learning about Japan when I was in middle school, and middle east history to boot

So you learned about Japan and the Middle East without there being a month designated to them? 

I don’t see a problem with your suggestion. However there are only 12 months. If we only dedicated a week to each culture we could cover 52 different cultures. Then again considering that there are over 100 countries maybe we should only dedicate a single day to a culture and then we could recognize and honor 365 different cultures? Although, culture isn’t strictly tied to nationality and a single country could contain dozens of cultures. While it’s difficult to define the specific measurement of what a culture is, a Google search of how many culture there are will turn up numbers exceeding 3,000. If we only dedicated a specific  hour of each year we could accommodate 8,760 different cultures. Every culture is worthy and deserves its own hour. 

13 hours ago, Golden Duck said:

Every day is Valentine's Day, so there's a clash.  No room to fit anything else in.:hmm:

Did your wife tell you that?

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Agent0range said:

I think that would be a better title.  Makes more sense. 

10 hours ago, Manwon Lender said:

I don't really know, but I believe that any holiday that is based upon any form of ethnic heritage is always going to be ridiculed by some other group. If I were able to make something officially occur, I would do away with all heritage holidays. Then I would start one under a single title and that would  arrybthe name of America Heritage Month. I feel that is the only legitimate name to use, because it's the type of heritage that everyone has in common that lives in the United States, the rest only create an environment of mistrust, criticism. anger. 

J?iMO

It could be called "Melting Pot Heritage month" and the children could come to school every day of the month to share something from their ancestral heritage.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Autochthon1990 said:

My grandson goes to an international baccalaureate charter school that teaches about different cultures and religions as well as teaches most classes in Spanish and last year in 4th grade they started learning Arabic.   The school is unusual that it is kindergarten through 8th grade. He is starting 5th grade next month and my daughter is worrying about what high school he will go to.  They also get a lot of music and art.  All the children play violin starting in kindergarten.   And another thing is bullying of any type is not tolerated.   The school he went to before was a "Stepford Wives" school.  The bullies were allowed to (maybe encouraged) to bully any child who was a little different.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, el midgetron said:

Every culture is worthy and deserves its own hour. 

No.  Not every culture is worthy.

• Like 2