Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Scientists spot signs of Gulf Stream collapse

UM-Bot

My college geology professor explained this, and I don't remember when the book SuperStorm came out but that is what the  movie Day after Tomorrow was based on.   The melting icebergs causes desalinization of the oceans which slows the currents which causes more extreme weather and storms and eventually a huge storm will hit, when the heat is extreme, that will cause a convection event that will slam an extremely cold storm down causing blizzards...

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Like 6

7 hours ago, Poncho_Peanatus said:

so the forecast is on a new ice age?

yes

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is the paper this topic is about.  Unfortunately, it's in a subscription journal.  The only thing available without paying for it is the abstract.  I'll see if I can find another link on Monday.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41561-021-00699-z?fbclid=IwAR3XnSDE_6E-DquN8mY_MMM5CZRSYyShIQdcKm0vEj-7hoqOQiZqi8cgtTA

So what's in store?  This is what could happen.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-021-24015-w

You can find a lot more articles by pasting this into your search engine:

atlantic meridional overturning circulation 2021

Doug

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Desertrat56 said:

yes

What.....WHAT? I spend all my money in buying summer clothing, sunscreen, beach wear, swim suits, bathing shorts, sun shaders, sun blockers, sand toy's because of global warming and you ... they now say a ICEAGE may COME????? 

WTF

I want a refund so I can buy a figging IGLOO 

13 minutes ago, Poncho_Peanatus said:

What.....WHAT? I spend all my money in buying summer clothing, sunscreen, beach wear, swim suits, bathing shorts, sun shaders, sun blockers, sand toy's because of global warming and you ... they now say a ICEAGE may COME????? 

WTF

I want a refund so I can buy a figging IGLOO 

You know it is not "Global Warming"!  it is "Climate Change", some places are getting colder some warmer, but for the most part weather is just getting more extreme; extreme heat in summer, extreme cold in winter, severe storms of all types all year.

You should have proper clothing for all weather.  

• Like 6

7 hours ago, Nosy.Matters said:

And swinging back to topic,

Thanks for the effort.  Gulf Stream shifts have made some places colder and others warmer and drier in the past.    There was a warming period about a thousand years ago that apparently opened the Northwest passage to  navigation for at least parts of the year. Some countries like Russia and some industries are even making plans to take advantage of that should it occur again in the near future. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

An informative video about the Gulf Stream and its possible collapse (2020) :

9 hours ago, Abramelin said:

An informative video about the Gulf Stream and its possible collapse (2020) :

The Northern Hemisphere will not freeze over.  Most of it won't see much temperature change.  But parts of it may get a few degrees colder.  Where we now get a low of 46F, we might get frost, for example.

We could, however, see major changes in precip.  Warmer-wetter, colder-dryer is the rule.  Europe, Canada and the US Northeast get colder and dryer.  That water has to go somewhere and somewhere is to the south.  We could see Great Salt Lake starting to refill.  We might even see Lake Lahontan starting to refill as well.  How about that?  Nevada a boating and fishing paradise.

Doug

• Like 1

On 8/6/2021 at 12:57 PM, Poncho_Peanatus said:

so the forecast is on a new ice age?

No.  Not even a "mini ice age"

But, it complicates the already complex changes being wrought by global warming.  So expect more extremes of weather all over the world (some of which may be cold extremes, though the real issue, as it has always been, will be changes in rainfall patterns - these are what modern humans need to be stable more than anything else, sincve our entire agricultural system, and indeed infrastructure, is based on what we had in the 20th century).

• Like 2

They may have to stop making wine in Europe.

Harte

It could turn into a ''Permian Triassic extinction event'' in the worst case scenario...

In the best case scenario it could frost back the permafrost and stop a freak methane release in the arctic.

Edited by Jon the frog

Guest Br Cornelius

Expect most of N.Europe to have the climate of the Labrador coast. That's a very unappealing prospect. There is a reason why Europe is one of the most densely populated areas on earth and Labrador one of the least.

Be Cornelius

Recent studies suggest that the main impact of a complete Gulf Stream shut-down for Europe would be enough cooling to off-set the current warming trend, so basically back to the 20th century .....  But more significantly, a reduction in rainfall. which could seriously impact agriculture.

https://arstechnica.com/science/2020/01/modeling-what-would-happen-to-the-uk-if-the-gulf-stream-shuts-down/

• Like 1

On 8/14/2021 at 2:29 AM, Essan said:

Recent studies suggest that the main impact of a complete Gulf Stream shut-down for Europe would be enough cooling to off-set the current warming trend, so basically back to the 20th century .....  But more significantly, a reduction in rainfall. which could seriously impact agriculture.

https://arstechnica.com/science/2020/01/modeling-what-would-happen-to-the-uk-if-the-gulf-stream-shuts-down/

There are other potential impacts:  three fewer inches of water falling in the Great Lakes Basin will shut down Niagara Falls, not to mention serious impacts on Agriculture.

So far, Oklahoma is showing no hint of decreasing rainfall.  In fact, just the opposite.  But that might change.

Doug

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/6/2021 at 4:28 PM, Doug1066 said:

This is the paper this topic is about.  Unfortunately, it's in a subscription journal.  The only thing available without paying for it is the abstract.  I'll see if I can find another link on Monday.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41561-021-00699-z?fbclid=IwAR3XnSDE_6E-DquN8mY_MMM5CZRSYyShIQdcKm0vEj-7hoqOQiZqi8cgtTA

Found another link:

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41561-021-00699-z.pdf

I suspect this is also a subscription link.

If you have an ".edu" ending on your address, you might be able to access it through your on-campus library, that is, if your library is a subscriber.

I don't think I'm going to find one that isn't subscription-based.

Doug

P.S.:  try contacting your local library.  A lot of them can get you a copy for free.

Doug

Edited by Doug1066

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/14/2021 at 9:29 AM, Essan said:

so 1960 1970 climate?

8 hours ago, Poncho_Peanatus said:

so 1960 1970 climate?

Probably.   I think we'd survive!

If this Gulf Stream collapse happens, who will the new winners and losers be?

After all, who will want to hold a cursed nation’s currency? Especially one who is arguably the most responsible for the Gulf Stream’s collapse, when it occurs?

According to my Source, the United States will soon cease to be a world economic leader, due to the a rapid rise in the cost of natural disasters, which will soon collapse the insurance industry, followed by the banking industry that it supports. The cost of insurance will simply become prohibitive to the cost of lending.

How a Gulf Stream collapse plays into that could perhaps best be argued in the context of the Deep Water Horizon disaster, which was a powerful warning, if you were paying attention, or did you think that was just a routine accident, which had no warning attached to it?

Most of the good folks here seem interested in the science of potential disasters, related to the Gulf Stream, but when you see one manifest, connected to foresight, you skip over it. After all, why would we receive a random warning, from a simple, poor man, written in Latin? We like listening to rich people talk, not the obscure. Not the voices who love the wilderness, deeply. Who wrote poetry to the Earth, from a young age. Someone who knew the Earth was as alive, as we are. Someone, who, like the American Indians, calls the Earth, “friend.”

For those who live in the United States, and who see the Latin written on their money, did you ever take the time to decipher it, or did you forget that from your history or Civics class? Also, why put “In God We Trust,” on a piece of currency? Isn’t that really a prayer? Why put a prayer of a piece of money? Were you hoping for special treatment or favors from Someone?

Likewise, what is the prayer you see below, published about two weeks before the worst environmental disaster to ever strike the United States? Why would someone offer up an obscure warning, a prayer if you will, in Latin, related to the Gulf Stream?(in red) 

Gulf Stream via satellite imagery - colorized

Published April 2, 2010

Title “Gulf Stream via satellite imagery - colorized”

Adjective

perīculōsus 

1. dangerous, hazardous, perilous

At 7:45 p.m. CDT on 20 April 2010, during the final phases of drilling the exploratory well at Macondo, a geyser of seawater erupted from the marine riser onto the rig, shooting 70 m into the air. Source

Who has contributed most to global CO2 emissions? Our World in Data October 01, 2019

• the United States has emitted more COthan any other country to date: at around 400 billion tonnes since 1751, it is responsible for 25% of historical emissions;
  • this is twice more than China – the world’s second largest national