Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Vincennes

Summer Wells Disappearance

35 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Vincennes

Hard to limit the links and how this case has progressed.  Here's one that goes over the initial time line but a search will turn up multiple others.

The disappearance of Summer Wells: a timeline of events one month after she vanished (msn.com)

 

I have to say that I'm a follower of the YouTube Behavioral Panel who initially gave their analysis of Summer's father and mother their reading pretty much as truthful.  Now I'm not so sure I agree with that.  I'm also not so sure these people aren't just being maligned by YouTube innuendo.   

(1) Summer Wells Missing: Interview Analysis of Father Donald Wells & Mother Candus Bly - YouTube

 

Anyone else been following this case ?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SecretSanta

I have because it’s local to me. Poor child, at this point I think she’s probably deceased. I hope the parents didn’t do anything. They both seem a bit sketchy. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Vincennes
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, SecretSanta said:

I have because it’s local to me. Poor child, at this point I think she’s probably deceased. I hope the parents didn’t do anything. They both seem a bit sketchy. 

They do seem, as you say, a little "sketchy."  However, I've felt a little sorry for them that they have been so torn apart by facebook and media posters.  It really got to me that I read posts calling the mother out for saying that when she went to make the 911 call, it didn't go through so she threw the phone and grabbed her mother's phone.  All of those who couldn't make sense out of that have certainly never been in a situation of bad cell phone service.  I live with bad cell service and that is exactly what I would do.  Different phone, maybe different carrier, heck standing one foot in a different place will make a difference.

I know that there are a lot of other things and  I'm not saying I think they aught to be up for Parents of the Year but so much I've seen so far doesn't prove guilt either.

 

 

Edited by Vincennes
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jmccr8
10 hours ago, Vincennes said:

Anyone else been following this case ?

Hi Vincennes

It was the first I have heard of it as I am not media inclined so see most subjects of interest here in the forum.

That said I did read the first link and watch the video which is the second time I have seen one of their assessments on interviews and think they gave a fair report based on information available. They did take into account her disabilities(or signs of) and possible medication effects not to mention his past encounters with the law. At no time did any of them suggest that his past life was a factor or that he had committed crimes that would throw up red flags.

My old man always said to me when I was young don't trust anyone even if they are blind and on crutches, well to be honest at that time of I don't know s##t I thought he was a tad cynical but not so many years latter found that it was good advice. I have seen a husband and wife fighting each other and a friend/cop/bouncer/stranger step in to quell the fire and both will turn on that person and unite even when the cops show up so I do keep that in mind when seeing these types of cases.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Vincennes
7 hours ago, closed for business said:

Hi Vincennes

It was the first I have heard of it as I am not media inclined so see most subjects of interest here in the forum.

That said I did read the first link and watch the video which is the second time I have seen one of their assessments on interviews and think they gave a fair report based on information available. They did take into account her disabilities(or signs of) and possible medication effects not to mention his past encounters with the law. At no time did any of them suggest that his past life was a factor or that he had committed crimes that would throw up red flags.

My old man always said to me when I was young don't trust anyone even if they are blind and on crutches, well to be honest at that time of I don't know s##t I thought he was a tad cynical but not so many years latter found that it was good advice. I have seen a husband and wife fighting each other and a friend/cop/bouncer/stranger step in to quell the fire and both will turn on that person and unite even when the cops show up so I do keep that in mind when seeing these types of cases.

This case has had a lot of news coverage up to now when it seems to be slowing down and thanks for taking the time to view the Behavior Analysis video.  They do seem to take a professional attitude in what they say.  They have another reading out there where they go through video of another set of parents (who have now been arrested) claiming a child just up and disappeared and they called deception out loud and clear on one of their videos.  However I do agree with your dad as far as trust issues, so I'm just going to be really surprised if these two can so totally beat the professional behavior readers.  

The CPS has now taken Summer's three brothers out of the home.  An action that seems to have been in the works at the time Summer went missing.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PrissyGal2

Hi, Folks. I've been following this case quite a bit. Watched a lot of the YouTube videos, etc. Can't quite figure it out yet. 

I do feel for the family, esp. since the brothers were taken out of the home, they have to be so conflicted. I hope they're all getting the therapy and help they need. I'm sure they loved their little sister and they  probably miss Mom and Dad, too, 

It's important to remember though, all of us have different ways of dealing with such an event. I can't fault someone just for certain expressions or the way they don't look at the interviewer or just for licking their lips. (Some dude said that was a sign of deception..)

Anyway Summer is a beautiful little girl, she seemed happy and full of life. It's going to be so sad if she is deceased, but I feel in my heart that's the case. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Vincennes
18 hours ago, PrissyGal2 said:

Hi, Folks. I've been following this case quite a bit. Watched a lot of the YouTube videos, etc. Can't quite figure it out yet. 

I do feel for the family, esp. since the brothers were taken out of the home, they have to be so conflicted. I hope they're all getting the therapy and help they need. I'm sure they loved their little sister and they  probably miss Mom and Dad, too, 

It's important to remember though, all of us have different ways of dealing with such an 'vevent. I can't fault someone just for certain expressions or the way they don't look at the interviewer or just for licking their lips. (Some dude said that was a sign of deception..)

Anyway Summer is a beautiful little girl, she seemed happy and full of life. It's going to be so sad if she is deceased, but I feel in my heart that's the case. 

I've also been following this case which is now down to very little news articles, mostly just what's on Youtube.  Haven't made my mind up yet either but I do think there's a group of Youtube "detectives" that have really been harassing the parents by dissecting every word they say and spinning it.  Now I'm not saying I think they are innocent but that I agree with you treatment of them has been really terrible.  The TBI has even asked that this stop and it doesn't even phase them.   

Sad case for sure.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PrissyGal2

I've watched a lot of the YouTube podcasts and didn't learn much. As for the podcasts, it's interesting what some of the hosts and guests come up with. I still haven't made up my mind, but I too have a feeling she is no longer alive.  I'm not sure we will ever know for sure what happened or why,. It's such a mess!!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PrissyGal2

I think it might get crazier. This seems to be the lull before the storm, Or I could be wrong. 

Yes, the Y tubers with the behavioral analysis, I thought they were pretty good. Lots of things to ponder. 

Has anyone watched any of the podcasts with Chris McDonough? He's a retired detective and seems pretty sharp, His channel is called the Interview Room. If y'all get a chance go listen to  some of them. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Vincennes

 

I was just watching McDonough's interview with Don Well's step-sister.  I have to say that I'm totally believing her.  It really changes my opinion of what's gone on with the father.  Not only does it seem as if she's telling the truth, all of his statements seem to indicate he's a sick puppy.  He has consistently blamed others for what he's done again and again.  

Don Wells' Step Sister Talks To The Interview Room with Chris McDonough - YouTube

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Myles

I have just read about this case for the first time.  Can't really make a definitive judgment but my money would be on the parents having something to do with her death.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Vincennes
On 8/25/2021 at 2:32 PM, Myles said:

I have just read about this case for the first time.  Can't really make a definitive judgment but my money would be on the parents having something to do with her death.   

I have tried to give the benefit of the doubt to the parents for some time.  It has seemed to me that there were too many YouTube "detectives" having long interviews with the parents acting supportive, then going over each word they said and screwing them with it.  However, since that last interview I posted, and another that points out the mother's first two children were taken away permanently, one of which had brain damage from being beaten with a baseball bat at the age of 2, I've began to lean the other direction.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PrissyGal2
On 8/25/2021 at 8:18 AM, Vincennes said:

 

I was just watching McDonough's interview with Don Well's step-sister.  I have to say that I'm totally believing her.  It really changes my opinion of what's gone on with the father.  Not only does it seem as if she's telling the truth, all of his statements seem to indicate he's a sick puppy.  He has consistently blamed others for what he's done again and again.  

Don Wells' Step Sister Talks To The Interview Room with Chris McDonough - YouTube

Exactly... and she sounded very believable to me.  I noticed at times she was silent for a moment, obviously trying to hold in her emotions and get through it. That was the real thing, that's something you don't EVER forget.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PrissyGal2
On 8/25/2021 at 1:32 PM, Myles said:

I have just read about this case for the first time.  Can't really make a definitive judgment but my money would be on the parents having something to do with her death.   

Yep, so do a lot of other people think the same. I'm kind of thinking it was an accident, not delberate, but who knows? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PrissyGal2
10 hours ago, Vincennes said:

I have tried to give the benefit of the doubt to the parents for some time.  It has seemed to me that there were too many YouTube "detectives" having long interviews with the parents acting supportive, then going over each word they said and screwing them with it.  However, since that last interview I posted, and another that points out the mother's first two children were taken away permanently, one of which had brain damage from being beaten with a baseball bat at the age of 2, I've began to lean the other direction.  

OMG!!! I found out recently about her 2 older kids being taken away but I had no idea why, That is just awful!! Do you have a link for that? Not that I don't believe you, I would just like to have a link handy in case I want to let some other people know... ya know?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Vincennes
On 8/27/2021 at 7:51 PM, PrissyGal2 said:

OMG!!! I found out recently about her 2 older kids being taken away but I had no idea why, That is just awful!! Do you have a link for that? Not that I don't believe you, I would just like to have a link handy in case I want to let some other people know... ya know?

I'm sorry to say I can't find the article that I mentioned.  It was on YouTube and it had photos of the supposed court documents.  At the time I wasn't concerned that I failed to get a link from it, I just thought I'd run into it or others with the information without any problem.  Now that I've gone back and looked through everything I see and can't find it, I wonder if it was phoney and someone took it down ???  Maybe.  I'll certainly never do that again.   It did say that none of what was in the court documents said that it was Candus who had injured the baby, that it could have been her husband/boyfriend who dealt the blow but that she shared in the blame for not reporting or protecting the child which is typical of what a court will do in that type of situation.  And that Candus received a sentence of I think 90 days in jail resulting from the charge.  

Sorry again, but I will keep looking maybe it's not coming up for me because I already completed going through it.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PrissyGal2
2 hours ago, Vincennes said:

I'm sorry to say I can't find the article that I mentioned.  It was on YouTube and it had photos of the supposed court documents.  At the time I wasn't concerned that I failed to get a link from it, I just thought I'd run into it or others with the information without any problem.  Now that I've gone back and looked through everything I see and can't find it, I wonder if it was phoney and someone took it down ???  Maybe.  I'll certainly never do that again.   It did say that none of what was in the court documents said that it was Candus who had injured the baby, that it could have been her husband/boyfriend who dealt the blow but that she shared in the blame for not reporting or protecting the child which is typical of what a court will do in that type of situation.  And that Candus received a sentence of I think 90 days in jail resulting from the charge.  

Sorry again, but I will keep looking maybe it's not coming up for me because I already completed going through it.  

That's ok, it may come in at some point. And thanks for trying. These two have led a strange life. Maybe strange isn't the word I'm looking for but Candus had joined a carnival at one time and spent several years traveling with  it, and that was kind of strange, I thought. And Don, is now being accused by multiple women of sex abuse. I  wouldn't want to be married to a guy like that!! 

I can't wrap  my head around either one of them killing their child... unless it was some tragic accident that they felt they had to conceal, but children die from accidents every day and I would wager a bet that a lot of those are from some kind of abuse by the  parent. But my whole point is, I think they are holding back, not telling LE all the details, and it's already biting their butts. Whatever happened to Summer, I don't have much hope that she is alive, I think that's a damn shame and it always makes me sad when a precious child has their life cut so short like this. 

We may never know the whole truth. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Vincennes
17 hours ago, PrissyGal2 said:

That's ok, it may come in at some point. And thanks for trying. These two have led a strange life. Maybe strange isn't the word I'm looking for but Candus had joined a carnival at one time and spent several years traveling with  it, and that was kind of strange, I thought. And Don, is now being accused by multiple women of sex abuse. I  wouldn't want to be married to a guy like that!! 

I can't wrap  my head around either one of them killing their child... unless it was some tragic accident that they felt they had to conceal, but children die from accidents every day and I would wager a bet that a lot of those are from some kind of abuse by the  parent. But my whole point is, I think they are holding back, not telling LE all the details, and it's already biting their butts. Whatever happened to Summer, I don't have much hope that she is alive, I think that's a damn shame and it always makes me sad when a precious child has their life cut so short like this. 

We may never know the whole truth. 

 

I'm going with the accident theory myself but I think an integral motivation was that Candus was high at the time.  Because she had a couple of CPS calls on her already, she felt she had to hide what had happened and her mind went to the "successful" issue of that with her sister's disappearance.  She thought, I'll just do that again, worked the first time with no one getting in any continuing trouble.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Vincennes
Posted (edited)
On 8/21/2021 at 7:21 PM, PrissyGal2 said:

I've watched a lot of the YouTube podcasts and didn't learn much. As for the podcasts, it's interesting what some of the hosts and guests come up with.

Prissy, since you mentioned that you have watched YouTube podcasts regarding this case, I thought I'd ask if you had ran into any mention of why Candus says that her own boys didn't go with them the day of the disappearance ?  When she supposedly picked up the kid, Hunter, who says they talked about going to a water park and then when that didn't happen, they switched to just a swim in the state park.  Now she has Summer with her, picks up Hunter and her boys just stay home ????   That makes no sense to me.  My kids would have been hanging on my bumper, dragging behind me if they thought a water park was on the horizon.  They certainly wouldn't be going for a day of locked inside the house with the computer.  

I didn't start following this case right away so I'm wondering if I just missed the reason for that.  Thought I'd ask just in case you had ran into that, no links or anything necessary just thoughts on what you might have ran into. It's all pretty much YouTube conjecture at this point.

Also, I did find a couple of YouTube references that CPS was due at their home the very next day to check on complaints that had been filed on abuse.  But that's it, all I have is just a couple of YouTube references to that.  I haven't seen or heard it consistently or in any news article.  Have you ran into references to that too ?  Do you think that's factual or just YouTube gossip ?  

Strange case for sure.  I'm seeing lengthy discussion now on "missing time" etc. and no mention why her other kids weren't with her picking up Grandma and if there were other accusations with CPS and it's driving me NUTS because to me those are areas that are just as concerning !  

 

Edited by Vincennes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PrissyGal2

Well, Hunter was the one who said the boys were with their dad at work that day.... how he could have known that is not clear. From Candus's interviews she mentions calling the boys out to help carry in the groceries so they were home when she got home around 3:30 IF she is being truthful. My question is, why would he want 3 young boys to watch  out for while he is woriking?? Doesn't add up.

I, like many other people, question the boy's knowledge about that because his mom and Candus had parted ways as friends and it's not even clear who called who,,,, she claims he called her and invited himself to go to the swimming hole with them. He says she called him. Also he does flounder around when asked about times, as does everybody else, actually. 

Also, I'm wondering about the lapse in time detail. She dropped her mom off at the hospital for an  8 am appt. but she  didn't go to pick up  Hunter until 10 am, if he was truthful. What did she  do during that 2 hours? It's kind of the same way with the afternoon from the time they got home (3:30) until the time Summer disappeared (5:30).

I don't know for sure about the CPS deal, I do recall that they were taken into custody somewhere around 10  days or so after Summer disappeared. They are not allowed to talk about the  reasons, (or they just don't want to say, who knows) but Don said the house was not safe for them. I worry because this has got to be hard for the boys. And they might not even be together in whatever foster home they were taken to, Apparently, Candus is not doing any more interviews, and Don seems to be quiet at the moment. Everybody just keeps on going over the  same stuff because there is nothing new to discuss.  

Sorry this is kind of lengthy, hope I answered your questions. All I can say is, I hope it all gets straightened out soon. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PrissyGal2

Oh yeah... if we could all fill in the gaps regarding the timeline, figure out  what was going on in those missing hours, I think we might be able to help solve it. Some folks don't trust YouTube, but I have learned a lot watching some of these podcasts. Love Chris McD! 

Some are obsessing over whether any of them had anything to eat that day, nothing is mentioned about getting food.... and that does concern me, but I doubt it had much to do with Summer missing. 

One thought that did  strike me just now. IF Don did  have  the  boys with him that day, that could be why he took the Subaru instead of his truck, so they all could fit in it.  And.... maybe he was not actually working but was giving Candus time to clean up?? Perhaps some accident that caused Summer's death and they had to  cover it up. Horrible thought. I know. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Vincennes

 

Thanks very much !   You do have some of the same impressions and questions that I do.  There are time discrepancies in Candus' story for sure but I just can't by three boys went to work with the dad and passed up a day at a water park while she took some other kid there with her and that kid was even an older, teenage type little boys would really want to hang around with.  That makes no sense, no way.  

Also the CPS thing I was talking about was not so much about when they actually took the boys but rather that there was an earlier call scheduled on an abuse charge referred to them about Summer.  I've just heard a couple of passing references to that.  What makes me think it might just be true is the way Candus kept referring to herself as "watching" Summer.  She said after they planted flowers, she watched or walked her to the door where the boys were, told them to watch Summer in the house.  Then called her the minute she got in the house to see where she was.  Now, that seems to me a lot of "watching" for a 5 year old.  I was pretty tense about watching my kids but if they were going to walk across the yard and go in the house, I think I'd have been okay with that without the detailed "watching."  It seemed to me that she was fearful of being called negligent and was trying to protect herself.  

I've listened to Chris quite a bit too and I also like "Michelle after dark"   She's an English woman who just tries to think things through and go over this and that without adding wild accusations.

Edited by Vincennes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PrissyGal2

Thanks for your reply. I'm kind of pressed for time right now so I will come back later and shoot some more thoughts.  Yes, we do seem to have a lot of the same thoughts and feelings. Great minds think alike!!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Vincennes
17 hours ago, PrissyGal2 said:

Thanks for your reply. I'm kind of pressed for time right now so I will come back later and shoot some more thoughts.  Yes, we do seem to have a lot of the same thoughts and feelings. Great minds think alike!!

Absolutely no prob  I missed follow up the day before and will probably have gaps in time coming up.  I'm in the process of moving ....  woe is me .....

When I responded to you last I hadn't been on YouTube yet to see what was going on regarding the phone call saying Don was arrested and taken to Boston.  Can this get more bizarre ?  I'm not sure if that was Candus or not but it did sound like someone who was totally out of their mind drunk and the snippets in the background did sound like Don.  If it was I'd say I'm watching for their arrest starting now.  

This isn't a tuber that I regularly liisten to but it's a pretty good recap of what happened with that:

YET MORE DRAMA WITH DON WELLS & CANDUS BLY #SummerWells - YouTube

Edited by Vincennes
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sevenx

Oh wow.  This whole thing is super shady.

That poor little girl. :no:

So I'm wondering if it hadn't now moved on to the other older boys that were the last to see Summer alive. 

Sadly this type of thing happens a lot, where the family keeps it a secret and doesn't call the police....and it just keeps going for generations. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.