Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Crime historian digs for DB Cooper case evidence: ‘Authorities looked in wrong area’

Still Waters

An amateur crime historian has begun a two-day search along Washington’s Columbia River, close to a spot where notorious skyjacker DB Cooper is believed by some to have buried wads of cash after parachuting out of the back of a Boeing 727 half a century ago.

Eric Ulis began the dig to looking for a parachute and briefcase on Friday, working under the theory that Cooper could have buried the items close to where $6,000 of Cooper’s $200,000 skyjack ransom was discovered in 1980.

Ulis believes that the FBI never searched the area around where the cash was found, and that Cooper may have buried the parachutes, an attache case and the money at the same time, but dug smaller holes instead of one much bigger hole.

The dig, which is being streamed live on a DB Cooper Facebook page, will cover a 600 sq ft area about 20-50 ft away from where the $6,000 was found.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/aug/08/historian-dig-db-cooper-case-evidence

https://ericulis.com/pages/the-db-cooper-flight-path-riddle

• Like 3

Great idea, I'd never have thought of digging in the area in which the decoy money was found. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Inn Spectre said:

Great idea, I'd never have thought of digging in the area in which the decoy money was found. 

I lived in Washington State for a number of years, and I believe the current explanation for the money that was found. I believe the money floated down stream to the location where it was found. Which means one of two things, either he lost the bag he was carrying the money in during his jump and the cash became separated or he died and was washed or fell into the river and the money was washed down stream. If this occurred his body would have washed out sea never to be found. 

Up stream from where the money was found there are many streams and small rivers that run into the Columbia River that money could have washed into the Columbia River anywhere along the way.

JIMO

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

I believe the money floated down stream to the location where it was found.

So that's two of us who won't be digging where the money was found.  I'm sure we won't be alone in our absence.

• Haha 2

58 minutes ago, Inn Spectre said:

So that's two of us who won't be digging where the money was found.  I'm sure we won't be alone in our absence.

YesxI am certainly we won't be alone. Honestly, while this entire story is pretty amazing DB wasn't Superman, and I don't believe he survived the jump. I was in the US Army and I went through jump school, jump at night is very very interesting because you can't see the ground. But, jumping into unknown terrain ( Mountainous forested terrain ) in the middle of a thunder and lightening storm is insane. Now there is a chance he got lucky and landed in an open area, but unfortunately the odds are not in his favour of doing that. 

The thing that keeps people looking for him is because his parachute was never found. But he could have just as easily hits something that killed him and become wrapped up in his chute and washed out to sea. I think the guy looking in the area where that money was found is a publicity hound trying to make a buck.

Take care

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Manwon Lender said:

YesxI am certainly we won't be alone. Honestly, while this entire story is pretty amazing DB wasn't Superman, and I don't believe he survived the jump. I was in the US Army and I went through jump school, jump at night is very very interesting because you can't see the ground. But, jumping into unknown terrain ( Mountainous forested terrain ) in the middle of a thunder and lightening storm is insane. Now there is a chance he got lucky and landed in an open area, but unfortunately the odds are not in his favour of doing that. 

The thing that keeps people looking for him is because his parachute was never found. But he could have just as easily hits something that killed him and become wrapped up in his chute and washed out to sea. I think the guy looking in the area where that money was found is a publicity hound trying to make a buck.

Take care

Exactly. He was Loki. 

• Haha 1

Maybe he threw a little bit of money to trick the trail, but actually jumped off the plane as he approached Reno (Nevada). :)

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Manwon Lender said:

I think the guy looking in the area where that money was found is a publicity hound trying to make a buck.

Normally I would agree, but looking around Google for this guy Eric Ulis, he seems to be well known for his interest in the DB Cooper mystery.

Eric Ulis is one of the world's leading DB Cooper experts. He has researched, investigated, searched for and extensively written about the case over the last dozen years. 

https://ericulis.com/

I had also posted another link to his site in my OP.

3 hours ago, jethrofloyd said:

Maybe he threw a little bit of money to trick the trail, but actually jumped off the plane as he approached Reno (Nevada). :)

I always did like this theory. Besides the bit of money, there is no evidence he actually jumped when they opened the back of the plane (and they flew with it open all the way to Reno). 

• Like 1

The whole case is very intriguing.

• Like 2

If they never found his chute then there is a chance it never opened which means there's a chance he fired into the ground like a dart. If this guy digs deep enough he might find DB himself.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Still Waters said:

Normally I would agree, but looking around Google for this guy Eric Ulis, he seems to be well known for his interest in the DB Cooper mystery.

https://ericulis.com/

I had also posted another link to his site in my OP.

Thanks for your thoughts on this, and .I don't disagree with you about that gentleman because I didn't research him like you did. I have also been following this case, for 30 plus years, because I found it really amazing. Here is the complete DB Copper Case File from the FBI Archive that was declassified through the freedom of information act. I have stayed on top of this file since it was released and while something's are redacted there is a great deal of very interesting information there. 

D. B. Cooper FBI Case File :  https://vault.fbi.gov/D-B-Cooper  I thought you guys may be interested in the full FBI Files, there is a lot of great information in those files. @mesuma @TashaMarie @Bavarian Raven @Robotic Jew @jethrofloyd @Inn Spectre

Here is the account from the FBI of the money discovered by the young boy in 1980:

Perhaps Cooper didn’t survive his jump from the plane. After all, the parachute he used couldn’t be steered, his clothing and footwear were unsuitable for a rough landing, and he had jumped into a wooded area at night—a dangerous proposition for a seasoned pro, which evidence suggests Cooper was not. This theory was given an added boost in 1980 when a young boy found a rotting package full of twenty-dollar bills ($5,800 in all) that matched the ransom money serial numbers.

Here is the account from the article talking about the investigator and where his searching for clues:

Eric Ulis began the dig to looking for a parachute and briefcase on Friday, working under the theory that Cooper could have buried the items close to where $6,000 of Cooper’s $200,000 skyjack ransom was discovered in 1980

The problem with the location where he Is looking is the fact that the Columbia River bank was searched using ground penetrating radar for more than a mile in both directions from the exact spot the money was found at. So to me it seems very futile to search that area all over again, but maybe that's just me. Anyway, I really enjoyed reading about this again like I said in has always fascinated me and I really wish this crime could be solved. 

First because I was on active duty Army for 23 years, and because I went through Airborne Training and was on Jump Status most of my Military Career. I can't even begin to tell you how insane Copper was for jumping like he did in a Thunder and Lightening Storm. Not to mention that the Parachute he used was not the type that could be controlled during your decent and that jump at night you can't see the ground coming up at you

Where ever the wind blew is where you were going, so to jump into forested mountainous terrain at night in a thunder a Storm is sheer insanity!!:lol:

Thanks again for this thread, hope the extra information ( FBI Files Helps ):tu:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

22 hours ago, jethrofloyd said:

I don't buy that theory.

It wouldn't be very smart to randomly throw thousands of dollars out of the back of a plane.  

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Myles said:

I don't buy that theory.

It wouldn't be very smart to randomly throw thousands of dollars out of the back of a plane.  

I agree, in fact I think he died the night he jumped. I just see anyway you could survive jumping into forested mountainous terrain at night in a lighting and thunder storm using a chute with no control capabilities. 

Thats some real crazy chit, you would need to be lucky like a million in one shot, nothing less!:no:

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

I agree, in fact I think he died the night he jumped. I just see anyway you could survive jumping into forested mountainous terrain at night in a lighting and thunder storm using a chute with no control capabilities. 

Thats some real crazy chit, you would need to be lucky like a million in one shot, nothing less!:no:

I agree.   Not as exciting in thinking he survived and got away, but more realistic.  

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

Sadly, I think he perished as well. The fact that none of the other serial numbers have ever been identified as being used points in that direction as well. This case was one of the first "mysteries" I remember reading about as a child and it has always held a special place in my heart and mind. I have always wished he would either step forward with a death bed confession or that somebody stumbled across his final landing spot though. Perhaps it's the rebel in me but I always admired how he was able to steal money, not use a mask, and not harm a soul while doing so and no one has ever come forward to say they knew about his plan or anything. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Robotic Jew said:

Sadly, I think he perished as well. The fact that none of the other serial numbers have ever been identified as being used points in that direction as well. This case was one of the first "mysteries" I remember reading about as a child and it has always held a special place in my heart and mind. I have always wished he would either step forward with a death bed confession or that somebody stumbled across his final landing spot though. Perhaps it's the rebel in me but I always admired how he was able to steal money, not use a mask, and not harm a soul while doing so and no one has ever come forward to say they knew about his plan or anything. 

You make some great points, and yea I feel the same way. It is easy to look at him as some kind of Robin Hood. But, there is one fact that stands out that say. He never made it, and that's the fact that none of the money was ever spent. Not a single bill have turned up with one of matching serial numbers. Now maybe he was a thrill seeker, and did it for that purpose alone. But, I think it can be assumed he didn't make it, and this mystery will never be solved!:tu:

9 hours ago, Manwon Lender said:

I did wonder whether that was his plan all along.  Nothing he did after taking off the second time seemed to me to make any sense, maybe it was his last hurrah, so to speak.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TashaMarie said:

I did wonder whether that was his plan all along.  Nothing he did after taking off the second time seemed to me to make any sense, maybe it was his last hurrah, so to speak.  

That's very possible, I think more than anything he was a thrill seeker who wanted to see if it was possible. Unfortunately I think he found out it wasn't the hard way, I don't think this mystery will ever be solved and maybe that's the way he would have wanted it!:)

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

That's very possible, I think more than anything he was a thrill seeker who wanted to see if it was possible. Unfortunately I think he found out it wasn't the hard way, I don't think this mystery will ever be solved and maybe that's the way he would have wanted it!:)

I haven't checked out the FBI files yet, did the police check missing persons records to see if anyone fitting his description was reported missing?  If he did die surely someone would have missed him.

That the money was never found doesn't mean he died. Maybe he got separated fom the money in a river and the money washed out to the ocean. He just swam to shore and went back home.