Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

UN climate report: 'a code red for humanity'


UM-Bot
 Share

Recommended Posts

43 minutes ago, Myles said:

Electric planes.

Tesla had an idea for transmitting electricity through the air in the form of microwaves.  Maybe something could be developed along this line.  Planes would be really quiet.

Doug

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Doug1066 said:

The 11 years is when the earth's mean temperature rise since pre-industrial times is 1.5C.  The 12 years is from AOC's Green New Deal.

The earth will continue after 1.5C, but sustain increasing damage to its ecosystems.  How long can we survive that?  Nobody knows, but the condition will eventually be terminal to our species.

There is an exception (of course).  As our population becomes victims of our own mismanagement, our numbers will decline.  Eventually we will reach a point where there are not enough of us to do further damage.

OR:  we could get off our collective a-s and fix the problem.

Doug

I've been hearing 12 years left before it's too late since before Al Gore's movie which was hailed as gospel.

If you truly believe what you have posted here i feel sorry for you and your family. The level of fear and stress from believing all your family will be dead in 12 years (which conveniently will still be 12 years next year, it never goes down) would be a nightmare to live with. Your children or grandchildren must be terrified. Poor things

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest Br Cornelius
11 hours ago, Hugh Mungus said:

I've been hearing 12 years left before it's too late since before Al Gore's movie which was hailed as gospel.

If you truly believe what you have posted here i feel sorry for you and your family. The level of fear and stress from believing all your family will be dead in 12 years (which conveniently will still be 12 years next year, it never goes down) would be a nightmare to live with. Your children or grandchildren must be terrified. Poor things

Its easy for uninformed people to remain confident in their self created security bubble. The situation is dire, much worse than most people could possibly imagine. Ocean oxygen levels are falling and this is leading to the collapse of ocean phytoplankton which creates most of the oxygen we breath. Its a vicious downward cycle which in the past has lead to 90% of all life been driven extinct. Its locked in because all the heat which we have sequestered in the deep oceans has nowhere to go but back out into the upper ocean's and atmosphere. You can take the CO2 out of the air in relatively short time scales if you apply concerted effort (which we are not), but all the heat we have already trapped will carry on killing the oceans and eventually us over the next millenium and more. As a species we are a "dead man walking", how you personally cope with that is entirely up to you and burying your head in the sand, as you appear to have chosen, is a legitimate response in the circumstances.

Live happily in ignorant bliss whilst you can. My advise is have no children.

 

Br Cornelius

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Br Cornelius said:

Its easy for uninformed people to remain confident in their self created security bubble. The situation is dire, much worse than most people could possibly imagine. Ocean oxygen levels are falling and this is leading to the collapse of ocean phytoplankton which creates most of the oxygen we breath. Its a vicious downward cycle which in the past has lead to 90% of all life been driven extinct. Its locked in because all the heat which we have sequestered in the deep oceans has nowhere to go but back out into the upper ocean's and atmosphere. You can take the CO2 out of the air in relatively short time scales if you apply concerted effort (which we are not), but all the heat we have already trapped will carry on killing the oceans and eventually us over the next millenium and more. As a species we are a "dead man walking", how you personally cope with that is entirely up to you and burying your head in the sand, as you appear to have chosen, is a legitimate response in the circumstances.

Live happily in ignorant bliss whilst you can. My advise is have no children.

 

Br Cornelius

How about you keep your advice to yourself?

You are full of fear.  You and Doug are in a death cult and if you have children or grandchildren they are probably terrified.

I tell my kids the truth. I say to them that ever since I was a child I have been told that the world would end in 12 years due to run away global warming. 

You tell your kids that they will be dead in 12 years.

My advice to you is stop abusing your kids

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest Br Cornelius
15 minutes ago, Hugh Mungus said:

How about you keep your advice to yourself?

You are full of fear.  You and Doug are in a death cult and if you have children or grandchildren they are probably terrified.

I tell my kids the truth. I say to them that ever since I was a child I have been told that the world would end in 12 years due to run away global warming. 

You tell your kids that they will be dead in 12 years.

My advice to you is stop abusing your kids

Every prediction that Climate Scientists have made has come to pass, usually before they predicted it would.

You must be basing your statements on the sensational reporting of poorly informed journalists.


Dream on.

 

Br Cornelius

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Br Cornelius said:

Every prediction that Climate Scientists have made has come to pass, usually before they predicted it would.

You must be basing your statements on the sensational reporting of poorly informed journalists.


Dream on.

 

Br Cornelius

Hey, Brother Cornelius!  Long time, no see.

Don't worry about Hugh.  He hasn't got a clue what he's talking about.

7 hours ago, Br Cornelius said:

Its easy for uninformed people to remain confident in their self created security bubble. The situation is dire, much worse than most people could possibly imagine. Ocean oxygen levels are falling and this is leading to the collapse of ocean phytoplankton which creates most of the oxygen we breath. Its a vicious downward cycle which in the past has lead to 90% of all life been driven extinct. Its locked in because all the heat which we have sequestered in the deep oceans has nowhere to go but back out into the upper ocean's and atmosphere. You can take the CO2 out of the air in relatively short time scales if you apply concerted effort (which we are not), but all the heat we have already trapped will carry on killing the oceans and eventually us over the next millenium and more. As a species we are a "dead man walking", how you personally cope with that is entirely up to you and burying your head in the sand, as you appear to have chosen, is a legitimate response in the circumstances.

It takes about 300 years for the oceans and air to come into equilibrium.

I hope our chances are better than you say, but I don't know that they are.

Doug

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest Br Cornelius

Doris Lessing, a visionary writer wrote a beautiful book on the human condition, only in her book the world is threatened by an all enveloping ice age. 
 

Quote
The making of a representative for Planet 8:
"This is the story of Planet 8 of the Canopean Empire, a prosperous and contented little planet inhabited by handsome, vibrant, intelligent people, as told to us by one of the planet's fifty Representatives. Planet 8 is verdant and peaceful, its well-being secure, its weather consistently nurturing, never harsh. The people live long, fruitful lives, each on assuming a role essential to the continuity of the race. There is no crime, no strife, and no doubt. The people understand - almost inherently - that the benevolent Canopean rule they live under is based on necessity, and that they play a part in "a long, slow progress upwards in civilisation."

Until: the time of The Ice begins, the alignments of the planet shift, ice and snow come to cover its surface, and the people are forced to alter their lives in previously unthinkable ways. What keep them going - as they watch their crops and animals die off, as they are forced inside layers of clothing and crass shelter, as their lives wind down to little more than numbing sleep - is the promise made by Canopus that, in time, they will be taken off Planet 8 to Rohanda, the favored planet of the Empire. But the ice continues to thicken, morale and hope decline to a state of virtual nonexistence, and when the Canopean ambassador, Johor, finally arrives, the people are hardly surprised that he brings only devastating news: Rohanda is no longer fit to receive them, and they are destined to perish with their planet.

But what, at first, they do not realize they are capable of, and what they eventually accomplish through Johor's patient, empathic instruction, is the forging from themselves of one Representative who is both one and many, who is able to rescue from the doomed planet that which can and must be saved: their essential selves. Ultimately, the people of Planet 8 are able to transcend the grim, unbearably sad trappings of their corporeal lives to an understanding of the real "dance and dazzle" of their existence.

In this volume of the Canopus series, Doris Lessing gives us a microcosm of our emotional - our metaphysical - universe. Hers is a frightening, yet, finally a consummately hopeful vision, a profound novelist's contribution to the questions that are being asked so frequently and restlessly by scientists in that recently discovered area where the new physics meets traditional mysticism."

A beautiful book worth a read to understand our current plight.

 

What I find most ironic is those who would accuse climate scientists of been a death cult are typically drawn from the greatest death cult that man has ever invented - "christianity" a belief system which prays for the end of the world and the horrific destruction of the majority of humanity in roasting fire and brimstone. Ironic.

 

Br Cornelius

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Br Cornelius said:

Doris Lessing, a visionary writer wrote a beautiful book on the human condition, only in her book the world is threatened by an all enveloping ice age. 
 

A beautiful book worth a read to understand our current plight.

 

What I find most ironic is those who would accuse climate scientists of been a death cult are typically drawn from the greatest death cult that man has ever invented - "christianity" a belief system which prays for the end of the world and the horrific destruction of the majority of humanity in roasting fire and brimstone. Ironic.

 

Br Cornelius

We may get another little ice age out of the slow-down in the AMOC.  No evidence of that here, yet.  Temps and humidity in Oklahoma are still climbing.  I'm still hoping to do a paper on that.

Doug

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest Br Cornelius
2 minutes ago, Doug1066 said:

We may get another little ice age out of the slow-down in the AMOC.  No evidence of that here, yet.  Temps and humidity in Oklahoma are still climbing.  I'm still hoping to do a paper on that.

Doug

It seems a likely outcome, but as was the case last time it happened, it would only be a localised event restricted to the Northern Atlantic basin. Ultimately no respite for the world at large and only a minor convulsion along the path to ultimate catastrophe. Hard on us N.Europeans who are not adapted to Labradorian conditions.

 

Br Cornelius

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Hugh Mungus said:

I've been hearing 12 years left before it's too late since before Al Gore's movie which was hailed as gospel.

If you truly believe what you have posted here i feel sorry for you and your family. The level of fear and stress from believing all your family will be dead in 12 years (which conveniently will still be 12 years next year, it never goes down) would be a nightmare to live with. Your children or grandchildren must be terrified. Poor things

So far, only one of Gore's predictions has failed to come true:  there are still glaciers on Mt. Kilimanjaro.  That's because ice loss was being caused by evaporation, not melting.  Clearing of forests in the low country resulted in warmer, dryer winds against the ice.

But then, Gore wasn't a climate scientist.  And if you're still relying on him for information, you are hopelessly out-of-date.

The 12 years was from AOC's Green New Deal.  She's not a climate scientist, either.  The 12 years will be up in 2030, the projected date on which the world will exceed 1.5C degrees of warming.  The estimate is skewed with lower results more likely than higher ones.  On the other hand, we might get there by 2028.

Global warming is here, now.  What do you think is causing the fires in the western US and Australia for the past several years?  Here in Oklahoma, we've been seeing more and worse floods.  We had a "50-year flood" on the Lower Deep Fork in 2007.  Forestry Summer Camp got flooded out three years in a row.

I have plotted expected temperature and precip values for each of Oklahoma's nine divisions since 1920.  We are hotter now than during the Dust Bowl - in all nine divisions, yet.  I am working on Palmer Drought Stress Index values using post oak ring data.  I have finished two chronologies back to 1705 and 1737,and, yes, we're getting wetter (Haven't done the temperature ones yet).

If you want to hold a serious discusion, I can back up what I say with dozens of scientific references.  I will explain what global warming and climate change are and how they work.  Are you interested, or do you just like talking s---?

Doug

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Br Cornelius said:

It seems a likely outcome, but as was the case last time it happened, it would only be a localised event restricted to the Northern Atlantic basin. Ultimately no respite for the world at large and only a minor convulsion along the path to ultimate catastrophe. Hard on us N.Europeans who are not adapted to Labradorian conditions.

 

Br Cornelius

I came from Ohio and I'm now stuck in Oklahoma.  I'd love it to cool off a little.

Doug

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest Br Cornelius

We haven't had a decent summer for the two decades I have lived in the west of Ireland. Its getting increasingly wet and cloudy year on year. We barely manage a few weeks a year of clear sky's and my solar thermal panels barely manage a few weeks of full output each year. If we were dependent on local agriculture for our food we would have had multiple  years of crop failure and famine to rival the great famine. I can't get a tomato to ripen in our porch.

The future is now and climate change is our reality on a daily basis.

 

Br Cornelius

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Br Cornelius said:

We haven't had a decent summer for the two decades I have lived in the west of Ireland. Its getting increasingly wet and cloudy year on year. We barely manage a few weeks a year of clear sky's and my solar thermal panels barely manage a few weeks of full output each year. If we were dependent on local agriculture for our food we would have had multiple  years of crop failure and famine to rival the great famine. I can't get a tomato to ripen in our porch.

The future is now and climate change is our reality on a daily basis.

 

Br Cornelius

My gg-grandfather came here from Ireland in 1858.  He had an older brother who moved here during the great famine.

I'm taking a course in Irish; not doing too well - too many interruptions.  It's being taught in an Irish pub.  Every Tuesday night.  The pub may explain why I'm not doing too well.

Doug

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Climate models are accurate are they?

Climate computer models running way too hot

 

It appears the IPCC report is written with laymen's language and is designed to scare ordinary people into becoming political activists.


The report straight up lies about the science of solar forcing and states that it is only responsible for 9% of recorded warming.

This is false. Here is a list of hundreds of scientific articles published since 2015 showing solar forcing to be the major factor contributing to global warming.

Compiled list of solar forcing climate change

 

Edited by Hugh Mungus
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest Br Cornelius
1 minute ago, Hugh Mungus said:

Climate models are accurate are they?

Climate computer models running way too hot

You don't seem to know the game of reasoned discourse. Always supply your source so that it can be checked for validity and tampering.

 

Br Cornelius

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest Br Cornelius

Dr Spencers datasets (on which the article is based) are notorious for been systematically inaccurate, and the graph doesn't show the totality of simulation runs which run into thousands. Its called cherry picking to make your point.

 

Br Cornelius

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Doug1066 said:

 

If you want to hold a serious discusion, I can back up what I say with dozens of scientific references.  I will explain what global warming and climate change are and how they work.  Are you interested, or do you just like talking s---?

Doug

This is your problem. You believe people who hold other opinions to yourself are uninformed.

I believe you are misinformed.

I follow the current science. I have been following the earths magnetic field fluctuations and earth facing sun spots/coronal holes to predict anything from the likely-hood of a cyclone forming to pressure on the earths crust and earthquake activity. 

Many of these topics are in the list of hundreds of articles i have linked here. I doubt you have even heard about any of them

Edited by Hugh Mungus
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Br Cornelius said:

Dr Spencers datasets (on which the article is based) are notorious for been systematically inaccurate, and the graph doesn't show the totality of simulation runs which run into thousands. Its called cherry picking to make your point.

 

Br Cornelius

Can you show me where today's temperature is compared with the climate model? Particularly the hockey stick models?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest Br Cornelius
26 minutes ago, Hugh Mungus said:

Can you show me where today's temperature is compared with the climate model? Particularly the hockey stick models?

https://www.realclimate.org/index.php/archives/2021/08/a-tale-of-two-hockey-sticks/

Read it for yourself, it was accurate and it is accurate now. What is most pertinent is that temps are still spiking up so there is no moderation of the trend.

Br Cornelius
 

Edited by Br Cornelius
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Hugh Mungus said:

Climate models are accurate are they?

Climate computer models running way too hot

 

It appears the IPCC report is written with laymen's language and is designed to scare ordinary people into becoming political activists.


The report straight up lies about the science of solar forcing and states that it is only responsible for 9% of recorded warming.

This is false. Here is a list of hundreds of scientific articles published since 2015 showing solar forcing to be the major factor contributing to global warming.

Compiled list of solar forcing climate change

 

Which GMCs were those?  There are hundreds of climate models out there and only a half-dozen or so can be used for global modeling.

Solar forcing only accounts for 0.3C degrees - that's the fluctuation in global mean temps that correlates with the sunspot cycle. .  The sun has a small effect on global mean temps, but not much.  We've had this discussion before. 

9%?  That would make the solar contribution to warming about 0.135C (1.5 X 0.09 = 0.135C).  I calculated it to be about 0.3C several years ago.  That was based on direct weather/temperature observations.

I'm glad to see we agree that solar forcing does not contribute very much to global warming

Doug

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Br Cornelius said:

Every prediction that Climate Scientists have made has come to pass

I'm still waiting for the predicted ice age of the early 70's and when that prediction comes to fruition I'll consider the new predictions.

Now they're saying the Atlantic conveyor belt may shut down and plunge us into a new cooling period or even an ice age.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest Br Cornelius
2 minutes ago, Buzz_Light_Year said:

I'm still waiting for the predicted ice age of the early 70's and when that prediction comes to fruition I'll consider the new predictions.

Now they're saying the Atlantic conveyor belt may shut down and plunge us into a new cooling period or even an ice age.

That was never a generally accepted prediction. It was based upon a mistaken interpretation of the data.
If you look back at that time there were already far more scientists predicting global warming (including the scientists at Exxon). This is old and rather boring stuff.

 

Br Cornelius

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Br Cornelius said:

https://www.realclimate.org/index.php/archives/2021/08/a-tale-of-two-hockey-sticks/

Read it for yourself, it was accurate and it is accurate now. What is most pertinent is that temps are still spiking up so there is no moderation of the trend.

Br Cornelius
 

This is false. 2021's temperature on average is less than 1997's temperature. 

Mann's graph is widely debunked and if it was accurate every year would be warmer than the last. This is not the case

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest Br Cornelius
Just now, Hugh Mungus said:

This is false. 2021's temperature on average is less than 1997's temperature. 

Mann's graph is widely debunked and if it was accurate every year would be warmer than the last. This is not the case

This is a completely false interpretation of the data and another example of systematic cherry picking on your part, a rehash of the "pause argument". Why does this not surprise me ?

Your just another regurgitate of pre-digested denial memes, and a dishonesty one to boot.

 

Br Cornelius

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.