Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Prince Andrew being sued over alleged assault

Silver

One of Jeffrey Epstein’s long-time accusers is taking legal action against the Duke of York, saying he sexually assaulted her when she was 17 years old.

Lawyers for Virginia Giuffre filed the lawsuit against Prince Andrew in Manhattan federal court.

In a statement, Ms Giuffre said the lawsuit was brought under the Child Victims Act to allege she was trafficked to him and sexually abused by him.

“I am holding Prince Andrew accountable for what he did to me,” she said.

Epstein accuser takes legal action against Duke of York over alleged assault (msn.com)

• Like 3

If anyone hasn't seen it, this is the most cringe-inducing interview you are likely to see. Better than The Office. Emily Maitlis said that after the cameras stopped rolling he took her on a tour of Buckingham Palace, saying she was welcome to return to do a documentary on it- he was oblivious to the grave he had just dug for himself.

Edited by Ted E Hughes
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Not to minimise trafficking. Epstein realised the seriousness of the charges. I don't know the statistics but human trafficking is despicable and destroys lives. As does any sexual abuse.

But Andrew's interview was riveting. And very revealing. You are unlikely to see someone lie so glibly and unselfconsciously on camera.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ted E Hughes said:

One of Jeffrey Epstein’s long-time accusers is taking legal action against the Duke of York, saying he sexually assaulted her when she was 17 years old.

I wonder why it took her so long and who is paying her legal bills.  Out with the popcorn.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Inn Spectre said:

I wonder why it took her so long and who is paying her legal bills.  Out with the popcorn.

She's been in court for a very long time now. With many other accusers. Read the Epstein thread. The FBI has been wanting to question Andrew for a long time. He cooperates by not cooperating.

Edited by susieice
  • Like 1

What in Gods name is trafficing - I'm struggling to beleive the amount of different offences that people can make up.

If they walk from A to B unaided then that is walking. IF they're shown the way by a stranger has that stranger unwittingly 'trafficted' them.

Whats the difference between kid-napped and trafficed?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ethereal_scout said:

What in Gods name is trafficing - I'm struggling to beleive the amount of different offences that people can make up.

If they walk from A to B unaided then that is walking. IF they're shown the way by a stranger has that stranger unwittingly 'trafficted' them.

Whats the difference between kid-napped and trafficed?

Trafficked is, IIRC, kidnapped by person A on order from person B because it’s what Person C wants. 

• Like 3

Ms Giuffre's legal action is a civil case filed by a private party for monetary damages, as opposed to a criminal case filed by the state.

Arick Fudali, a partner at New York legal firm Bloom, which has represented nine of Epstein's victims, told BBC Radio 4's Today programme that "very few" of such cases ended up going to trial but there was a "small chance" this could.

The alternatives are that it is settled beforehand, it is struck out by a judge, or the complainant ceases the action.

Melissa Murray, professor of law at New York University, said Prince Andrew "could be on the hook for significant money damages".

"This is not about whether or not Prince Andrew will go to jail - he has no criminal exposure from this particular case," she told the BBC.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-58153711

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Ted E Hughes said:

If anyone hasn't seen it, this is the most cringe-inducing interview you are likely to see. Better than The Office. Emily Maitlis said that after the cameras stopped rolling he took her on a tour of Buckingham Palace, saying she was welcome to return to do a documentary on it- he was oblivious to the grave he had just dug for himself.

I don't follow anything with the royal family.

But this was such an hilariously horrible interview. 

• Like 2

What if Andrew just continues to ignore the legal proceedings?: 

BBC Video:  Prince Andrew: Accuser's lawyer says he 'can't ignore the court' - BBC News

The Guardian:

What powers does the court have with respect to Andrew? Spafford said: “If the claim progresses, the court will have extensive powers to order discovery of all relevant material, including phone records and diaries, private communications, etc (assuming those still exist)”. He could be called to give oral evidence but cannot be compelled to do so. Ultimately, he can choose his level of defence – if any – and compliance with court orders, although it risks negatively affecting his chances in the case and the chances of the court finding for the claimant. Edward Grange, a partner at Corker Binning, stressed: “Conduct said to give rise to a civil contempt, would not constitute an extradition offence.”

Do papers have to be served on him, and can he strive to avoid this? Arick Fudali, a partner at the New York legal firm Bloom, which has represented nine of Epstein’s victims, said: “I’m sure Prince Andrew is aware of the lawsuit being filed but nonetheless he actually has to be personally served, which is not easy to do – not impossible, but it is not easy to do when the opponent is in another country. There are mechanisms in place where you can get service on someone in another country, but certainly it’s a difficult task.

Why is Virginia Giuffre suing Prince Andrew and what could happen next? | Prince Andrew | The Guardian

Edited by Ted E Hughes
  • Like 2

A good precis of the case in this article: 

In the immediate wake of the Newsnight interview, a YouGov poll found that a mere 6% of the UK public believed Prince Andrew to be telling the truth. It does seem particularly notable that he asserts he was “acting honourably” in flying all the way to New York in 2010, supposedly to end his friendship with Epstein. Strangely, he has yet to regard it as a matter of honour to fly to New York to clear his own name. If he fails to take up this new opportunity to do so in a court of law, he and his surrogates can hardly complain about being tried in the court of public opinion.

Of course Prince Andrew isn’t sweating over this lawsuit – he can’t | Marina Hyde | The Guardian

Edited by Ted E Hughes
  • Like 2

I'm in two minds about this. One part of me couldn't give a monkeys about the guy. My brother once met him during a tour of the Falklands, said he was an arrogant ****k. but on the other hand, if the Americans won't hand over someone who b*****ed off back to the states after killing a teenager, why should Andrew make the effort.

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/03/09/uk/anne-sacoolas-harry-dunn-community-service-intl-gbr/index.html

• Like 1

In order for a Prince to be extradited it will take more than sleeping with a 17 year old (which isn`t actually an offence here). At most he will be confined to the history books as a disgraced royal. It would take the Monarch being outraged with him enough to allow his deportation, and I dont see that ever happening.

It would be fun to watch the Monarch use their executive powers to sack the Cabinet MP for justice, and appointing one who will rule extradition or court hearings on the Prince are not in the public interest. Legally all moves against the Prince will go no where.

And public embarrassment wont make him talk or go voluntarily, he is already blushing more than a paedo in a nursery and it hasn`t worked.

Edited by Cookie Monster

1 hour ago, Cookie Monster said:

In order for a Prince to be extradited it will take more than sleeping with a 17 year old (which isn`t actually an offence here) (1). At most he will be confined to the history books as a disgraced royal. It would take the Monarch being outraged with him enough to allow his deportation (2), and I dont see that ever happening.

It would be fun to watch the Monarch use their executive powers to sack the Cabinet MP for justice, and appointing one who will rule extradition or court hearings on the Prince are not in the public interest (3). Legally all moves against the Prince will go no where.

And public embarrassment wont make him talk or go voluntarily, he is already blushing more than a paedo in a nursery and it hasn`t worked (4).

1. He didn't "sleep with a 17year old", she was not his girlfriend. Legally she was a child and it appears trafficked by Epstein to provide sex. How old was Andrew at the time? I doubt the prosecution will have trouble identifying an offence.

2. The Monarch has no say in whether Andrew is deported or not (although the prosecution has already said they have no power to extradite as it is a civil court).

3. The Monarch cannot sack civil servants. Those sovereign powers have long been delegated to parliament.

4. I doubt Andrew experiences public embarrassment. In his interview with Emily Maitlis he appeared devoid of empathy or sympathy.  He is probably just thinking how difficult it would be to do jail time or hand over a few million in compensation.

I'm starting to understand your reverence for the Royal Family, you seem to think of them having the political power and importance that they did a few hundred years ago.

Prince Andrew has gone to Balmoral to stay with the Queen.

On Tuesday evening, 24 hours after the civil suit was filed, the scandal-hit Duke of York was pictured arriving at Balmoral, the royal family’s private estate in Scotland, driving a Range Rover.

He was accompanied by his ex-wife Sarah, the Duchess of York, who was sat in the back seat, and a minder who was sat in the front passenger seat.

The Daily Mail reported Prince Andrew’s dog had arrived at the estate one hour earlier in a separate car.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/prince-andrew-staying-queen-lawsuit-103244147.html

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Prince Andrew served with papers, accuser's team claims

Lawyers for the woman who has accused Prince Andrew of sexual abuse claim they have successfully served him with legal papers.

Virginia Giuffre has launched a civil case against the prince in New York - and legal papers have to be "served" before the case can proceed.

Her lawyers say they were served on 27 August, being left with a police officer at Windsor's Royal Lodge.

Prince Andrew denies all the claims made by Ms Giuffre.

A spokeswoman representing the Duke of York has declined to comment on the latest development.

A US district judge must determine whether the papers were in fact "served" before any case can proceed.

A video conference on the next stages of the case is scheduled for a New York court on Monday.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-58523119

https://royalcentral.co.uk/uk/york/prince-andrew-served-with-legal-papers-in-sexual-assault-case-165422/

• Like 1

On 8/12/2021 at 4:08 AM, Cookie Monster said:

It would take the Monarch being outraged with him enough to allow his deportation, and I dont see that ever happening.

Randy Andy is Madge's favourite child, so I think he's pretty safe.

The Grand Old Duke of York, he told 10,000 lies.

He even went to a Pizza Hut, so he`d have an alibi.

He claimed he didn`t touch her, he denied all carnal knowledge.

Because he doesn`t want to pick up soap, and live off prison porridge.

(Allegedly lol)

Edited by Cookie Monster
  • Haha 1

The Prince's lawyers are arguing he has not been properly served a court summons, which is a bit odd given that he has consistently said he will coperate with any investigation:

Ms Giuffre’s lawyers say they served Prince Andrew with a court summons last month, when the papers were handed over to a Metropolitan police officer on duty at the main gates of his home in Windsor.

But on Monday, Prince Andrew’s lawyers vigorously denied that this service was valid.

“We do contest the validity of service to date,” Mr Brettler said. “The Duke has not been properly served under either UK law or pursuant to The Hague Convention.”

US judge tells Prince Andrew’s lawyers they’re making Epstein-linked abuse case ‘more complicated’ than it needs to be | The Independent

Edited by The Silver Shroud
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

From the very beginning, US authorities told Andrew all they wanted was an affidavit telling what he knew about Epstein and Ghislaine Maxwell and their activities. They even told him he could go into a British court, swear the affidavit and it would be accepted. Still he kept saying he would co-operate with the investigation and didn't. They never got a statement from him. Ghislaine is going to court in November. The judge has firmly told her that and now she faces additional charges from more women who say she was involved in trafficking them. I really think this is why Virginia filed this lawsuit. She has always maintained what she says happened. She says Andrew knows what happened and he needs to come clean. She says what she said happened and Andrew says what he said happened and only one of us is telling the truth. I really think that's what she wanted from him. Andrew picked two wrong people to make his good buddies and try to protect. She does not accuse Andrew of being involved in the trafficking, just being a participant. He knows a whole lot about what was going on.

Edited by susieice
  • Like 5

At least we have very specific testimony from Rudy that he never had a drink with Andrew and never was together with him and women or young girls.  Where did that come from and why was it in a  9/11 speech?  One begins to wonder how much does Rudy know.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tatetopa said:

At least we have very specific testimony from Rudy that he never had a drink with Andrew and never was together with him and women or young girls.  Where did that come from and why was it in a  9/11 speech?  One begins to wonder how much does Rudy know.

I don't recall any of the girl's mentioning him. It does make you wonder where that came from, unless it's another one of his bad jokes.

• Like 1