Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Geomythology: hunting for truth in ancient tales

UM-Bot

I would like to know what is real truth in the Icelandic literature. Especially when talking about the Norse settlements in Greenland and Vinland.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jethrofloyd said:

I would like to know what is real truth in the Icelandic literature. Especially when talking about the Norse settlements in Greenland and Vinland.

Greenland is quiet green during the summer months (in the southwest fiord region). Beautiful arctic meadows / prairie.

Vinland was/is the Gulf of St. Lawrence region. Newfoundland/south Labrador was/is Markland. Helluland was/is northern Labrador and Baffin Island.

Vinland was known about (by the educated/rich) in Europe by the early 1000s, when one of the colonists (the wife of the captain who's name I forget arm) made a pilgrimage to the Vatican and even had an audience with the pope. Telling him about their exploits. The reason it was kept fairly hushed up was because of the money they were making from Ivory and furs and whale oil etc for centuries.

Heck, I believe the 13th century Danish royal attire contained North American bison fur. Just something to think about. 

Cheers.

• Thanks 2