Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Study takes unprecedented peek into life of 17,000-year-old Arctic woolly mammoth

Still Waters

An international research team has retraced the astonishing lifetime journey of an Arctic woolly mammoth, which covered enough of the Alaska landscape during its 28 years to almost circle the Earth twice.

Scientists gathered unprecedented details of its life through analysis of a 17,000-year-old fossil from the University of Alaska Museum of the North. By generating and studying isotopic data in the mammoth's tusk, they were able to match its movements and diet with isotopic maps of the region.

Few details have been known about the lives and movements of woolly mammoths, and the study offers the first evidence that they traveled vast distances. An outline of the mammoth's life is detailed in the new issue of the journal Science.

https://phys.org/news/2021-08-unprecedented-peek-life-year-old-mammoth.html

Lifetime mobility of an Arctic woolly mammoth

https://science.sciencemag.org/content/373/6556/806

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

• The title was changed to Study takes unprecedented peek into life of 17,000-year-old Arctic woolly mammoth

I am reminded of a song I wrote a long time ago.  I Saw the Indians Coming

27,000 years ago, came Wooly Mammoth and Caribou...behind them Ancient Eskimos, destined to become the Sioux... Comanche, Apache, Iroquois and Illinois... Blackfoot, Choctaw, Shawnee, Cheyanne, Creek, and Cherokee....

One of my all time favorite creatures...The Wooley Mammoth

Wooly Mammoth's coming back

We could rent a car
He would never fit
I'd be nice about it though
I'd say "would you like to go for a walk?" yeah

We could take a skateboard
Or roller skates or bikes
He'd be way too slow
Maybe we'll just go, for a walk, yeah