Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Weird shapeshifting fish spotted off California

UM-Bot

'Shapeshifting'?! They're just describing the natural development of young fish into either male or female! What a con! <_<

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ouija ouija said:

'Shapeshifting'?! They're just describing the natural development of young fish into either male or female! What a con! <_<

"Shapeshifting" means to change form, which is exactly what this particular species of fish does.

1 hour ago, Saru said:

"Shapeshifting" means to change form, which is exactly what this particular species of fish does.

Sorry, Saru, but I have to disagree :hmm:. The word shapeshifting applies to mythical human beings that have the ability to change their shape at will, in an instant. What is being described in the link is a creature which develops one way if it is male and all the males take on the same shape and certainly can't alter it at will to any shape they choose! Same applies to the females.

• Like 2

Ok I know i'm an idiot but, Isn't this not just like amphibians, different when young compared to their adult self with sexual dimorphism, why is it being called a weird shapeshifter?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ouija ouija said:

Sorry, Saru, but I have to disagree :hmm:. The word shapeshifting applies to mythical human beings that have the ability to change their shape at will, in an instant. What is being described in the link is a creature which develops one way if it is male and all the males take on the same shape and certainly can't alter it at will to any shape they choose! Same applies to the females.

You'd need to take it up with the source - numerous major news outlets have also used the term "shapeshifting" in their coverage of this story.

• Like 1

The use of shapeshifting in this context seems misleading. 

The fish develops but is not a shapeshifter, once an adult it's settled in one form.

Now... Octopi can be said to be true shapeshifting creatures as their adult form will completely alter shape as conditions dictate.

Using shapeshifter in the title for this creature seems like an attempt to make the article more 'clickable' or intriguing.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, ouija ouija said:

I'm with you ouija ouija. Lots of species have different looking males and females (birds for example) and almost all creatures change shape and appearance with age (even humans do).

• Like 1