Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Anime: Life, Death, Anime Inbetween

Talon

Yeah, I too wish that there will be an anime channel of some sort here (in Israel).

Anyhow, just watched End of Evangelion again, so I'm totally depressed .

I have to watch Oh My Goddess the OVA after watching that so as not to want to kill myself grin2.gif

Did I mention that their was a 26 TV series of OMG comming out? Can't wait, then they're going on to make more Pretty Sammy shows... excellent

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Talon

• Super Pancake

• GreyWeather

• Princess Serenity

UK anime news

With it being the season of good will and all, MVM have published their prospective UK release schedule for the first half of 2005, containing (amongst others) a few new suprises as well as a few important confirmations.

Both Gungrave Vol. 1 and Haibane Renmei Vol. 1 will be hitting the UK on 4th April.

Full Metal Alchemist Vol.1 has been scheduled for a UK release on May 9th, along with the first volume of Read or Die TV.

Their 6th June releases reveal two new suprises; Texhnolyze Vol.1 and Tsukihime Lunar Legend Vol.1 - both previously unannounced MVM acquisitions.

After last week's news that Rave Master will be premiering on Toonami UK on February 7th, the Toonami website has confirmed (in a new FAQ) that One Piece will be hitting the channel at some point in April.

Also, in reference to the much talked of Adult Swim block, Toonami UK have stated that "We are still looking into the possibility of having an adult swim block." However, this will most likely be featuring the original comedy (Harvey Birdman and Aqua Teen Hunger force) and not the anime from the popular US Adult Swim block.

Source: http://www.animeuknews.net/

I have to watch Oh My Goddess the OVA after watching that so as not to want to kill myself

Yeah... this must be one of the most powerfull anime I ever seen... except for Barefoot Gen maybe hmm.gif.

There are some unforgattable scenes in EoE... like "we'll do the rest after you get back"... or "I feel sick"... or the scene when Shinji strangles Asuka in his mind.

Damn, one powerfull but genious masterpiece.

I think the most powerful scene I've ever seen in an anime was were Yung dies in ep 5 of Blue Gender (god I hate that show), I had flashes of that for days

Watch Barefoot Gen.

Your perspective on WW2 Japan will forever change, I promise that for you.

I'm serious - I gave it to many to see, and some even said they shed tears while watching it.

Not available in Scotland sad.gif I have almost all UK anime releases, but its a rather small selection. Most of my imports are Utena, Sailor Moon, Slayers, Dragonball, Your Under Arrest, Lodess War etc based.

Grave of Fireflies is another WW2 Japan anime, seen it? I haven't, but its only a matter of time.

Grave of Fireflies is another WW2 Japan anime, seen it? I haven't, but its only a matter of time.

That's from the same maker of Barefoot Gen, as a matter of fact.

Haven't seen it, but trying to get it too.

I have Barefoot Gen in Japanese with english subtitles... don't think it ever came out in full english or hebrew.

Though even if it did, I wouldn't want to watch it - the fact that it is in Japanese makes it stronger and more powerfull to watch.

Yeah you can say I'm a purist grin2.gif.... though don't mind watch animes in full english, if it is done well enough. I can't stand the Hebrew translations though... no one can translate anime here quite right! tongue.gif

Though I think Barefoot Gen is one of those films you must watch in Japanese.

I prefer watching in English because its less hastle, but I do hate it when they don't do a good dub. Luckily lots of companies such as ADV and Pioneer/Geneon and to a lesser extent Funimation when they can be bothered (like Fruits Basket as opposed to DBZ), make good attempts, especially ADV and Geneon.

Then their are some animes which have to be watched in Japanese becauyse they have never made good dubs of them. CCS is far superior to the English version Cardcaptors which not only has bad voice actors, the voices don't match the characters, the series is insanely edited, the character personalities are different, the full series was never released, has aweful music etc etc. And Magical Project S/Pretty Sammy because although most of the English voice actors are good in the OVA, Misao Amano's (the best character) is terrible, and only the Japanese one is worth listening to... and then in the TV version they never dubbed it, so you don't have much choice.

There are people out there, like that Dear John guy over on Animenation who are insaenly pro-purist, and when reading his articles he doesn't have a high opinion of people who watch dubs either, speaks down to them when they write in letters and talks about dubbing as 'rape' of culture.

There are people out there, like that Dear John guy over on Animenation who are insaenly pro-purist, and when reading his articles he doesn't have a high opinion of people who watch dubs either, speaks down to them when they write in letters and talks about dubbing as 'rape' of culture.

Well I wouldn't go that far as to label dubbing "rape of culture" tongue.gif, but there are animes which are simply dubbed poorly in english (and much worse in hebrew), or that IMHO shouldn't be dubbed at all. Those animes should be left as they are (with subtitles ofcourse) tongue.gif.

GITS 2 was released resently with only subs, guess it was considered to be such an anime.

Here's good news for other FMA fans out there:

Square Enix will release Fullmetal Alchemist and the Broken Angel in North America on January 18th. The PS2 RPG game was released in Japan in December 2003. Full Metal Alchemist and the Broken Angel is rated "T" for Teen and will carry an MSRP of $39.99.

Source: animenewsnetwork.com

Rejoice! Oh, and did anyone read the episode summary for 7 I posted earlier. It's sad. Right now my av/sig banner is the Chimera.

I prefer watching in English because its less hastle, but I do hate it when they don't do a good dub. Luckily lots of companies such as ADV and Pioneer/Geneon and to a lesser extent Funimation when they can be bothered (like Fruits Basket as opposed to DBZ), make good attempts, especially ADV and Geneon.

I liked the dubbing for Fruits Basket. Yuki's voice sounded a lot better; in the original he sounded like a girl. Just my opinion. innocent.gif

Not available in Scotland sad.gif I have almost all UK anime releases, but its a rather small selection. Most of my imports are Utena, Sailor Moon, Slayers, Dragonball, Your Under Arrest, Lodess War etc based.

427527[/snapback]

You could try eBay for some DVDs, but do not get bootlegs. I was tempted by the complete series of Wolf's Rain, but I thought it over and decided to get the legit DVDs. The bootlegs were just Japanese with subtitles, and I read had really bad quality.

I heard Grave of the Fireflies is touching.

I liked the dubbing for Fruits Basket. Yuki's voice sounded a lot better; in the original he sounded like a girl. Just my opinion. 

No, I was saying it was a good dub, as opposed to DBZ

You could try eBay for some DVDs, but do not get bootlegs. I was tempted by the complete series of Wolf's Rain, but I thought it over and decided to get the legit DVDs. The bootlegs were just Japanese with subtitles, and I read had really bad quality.

I usually go for Amazon, but there is a religion1.com or somthing I saw resently which might be good as its a UK site. And failing that A1 comic stores will import for me under the desk if I ask. Its just the cost thats the problem. UK DVD - £15-20, US DVD - £30

UK newspaper The Telegraph have produced a very informative article about Japanese animation. While naturally talking up the latest Miyazaki record breaker Howl's Moving Castle, the article also features quotes from UK anime enhusiast Jonathan Clements and includes an image of Rei from "Anime classic" Neon Genesis Evangelion.

There is an interesting slant on the current state of the anime industry in Japan, especially highlighting the financial plight of many Japanese animators who are often under-payed and forced to leave the industry before reaching middle-age.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/arts/main.jhtml...31/bfanim31.xml

2004 has proven to be, if nothing else, an exciting year for UK anime fans. We have sampled the highs of an increased number DVD releases (mostly courtesy of ADV and MVM) and the lows of acclaimed (and popular) anime series being regularly snubbed by British TV channels (probably in favour of yet another reality TV show).

Anime (in the UK) in 2004, while undoubtedly a small niche of interest for most in this country, has been subtly creeping into the British mainstream conscience. No one can argue with increased DVD sales and releases, a new (and mostly dedicated) anime magazine in NEO and the largest UK anime convention attendance (at AmeCon 2004) for a long time. This has been a year of slow but sure progress, spent building the foundations for the further success of anime in UK.

This is our review of anime in the UK in 2004, an epic trilogy of articles detailing this past year- our favourite UK DVD releases, our favourite fansubbed anime, the UK's highest and lowest points in 2004 and even our favourite UK anime websites! Happy new year and the best of luck in 2005!

http://www.animeuknews.net/viewarticle.php?showarticle=18

No, I was saying it was a good dub, as opposed to DBZ

That's what I said. innocent.gif The dub of Wolf's Rain was also excellent. Blue's English actor was also her Japanese.

That's what I said.

I know. Just the way to you wrote it I though it was as if you though I hadn't. Must have been the tone I read it in.

The dub of Wolf's Rain was also excellent. Blue's English actor was also her Japanese.

Not over here. But I heard it had mixed reviews. Good animation, bad plot they said.

According to Bookscan, the Rurouni Kenshin volume 1 was the best selling graphic novel of 2004 in mainstream American bookstores. The second best selling graphic novel of 2004, in mainstream retail outlets, was Fruits Basket volume 1, although, because of the differences between the cover prices of the two books, Rurouni Kenshin volume 1 sold more copies but Fruits Basket earned more money.

The highest grossing graphic novel of 2004, in mainstream sales, was Art Spiegelman's 9-11 reflection, In the Shadow of No Towers, which sold almost as many copies as Rurouni Kenshin volume 1 but at more than double the cover price.

Bookscan results exclude sales from specialty retailers including comic book and anime shops.

Rurouni Kenshin volume 1, I have that

According to Japanese site Moon Phase, Fushigi Hoshi no Futago Hime (literally, "Mysterious Star of the Twin Princesses") will debut in April as a 52 episode anime TV series broadcast by Fuji TV.

The official Japanese Saishu Heiki Kanojo anime website http://www.saikano.net/ now hosts a streaming Quicktime trailer for the two episode Saishu Heiki Kanojo: Another Love Song OAV series, scheduled for Japanese release this summer. The trailer is accessible by clicking on the right side image button on the website's "Information" page.

Anime Crash has officially confirmed its acquisition of translation and distribution rights to the new Korean animated family show Olympus Guardianslink.

The Anime Crash website http://www.animecrash.com/ has updated to now hosts streaming Quicktime trailers for its Korean and Japanese produced animated series acquisitions, Geisters, Ki Fighters, Shiden, and Olympus Guardians.

Source: AnimeNation

Momentum Asia have announced that Casshern will be tearing it's way into (most likely limited) UK cinemas on 18th February and will be quickly followed by a DVD release on 21st March.

Casshern is the much anticipated live-action adaptation of a vintage sci-fi anime series of same name. Click here to view the trailer. http://www.apple.com/jp/quicktime/trailers...ern_medium.html

No idea sorry.

AD Vision has scheduled release dates for several American anime DVD debuts:

Tree of Palme & Noir volume 1 (WMV HD version) will retail at $29.98 each beginning March 8th

Gravion Zwei, the second Gravion TV series, will debut on March 8th in a $29.98 disc only edition and a $39.98 disc with series collector's box edition.

The Five Star Stories movie will retail at $29.98 beginning March 15th.

Cromartie High School volume 1 will be released on March 15th in a $29.98 disc only edition and a $44.98 DVD with manga and series collector's box edition.

The Konami TV website now hosts a streaming Windows Media trailer for the Otogi-Jushi Akazukin OAV with action figure set scheduled for Japanese release on February 20th. The trailer is available in narrowband link and broadband link resolution.

Former Newtype USA Magazine writer Corey Henson has accused Newtype Magazine of altering one of his negative product reviews. According to Henson, Newtype Magazine changed the content of one of his reviews, without his consent, to soften the impact of the review's critical statements. Henson's full accusation and comparison of his original writing to what was published in the current issue of Newtype USA is available on the Anime on DVD Forum. As yet, Newtype USA Magazine has not responded to the accusation of intentionally disregarding journalistic integrity.

ADV Manga has scheduled the domestic release of six new English translated manga titles for March 7th. Each book will retail at $9.99.

Cromartie High School

Kids Joker

Kyrie

Muteki Kanban-musume

Orphen

Yo-u

Source: Animenation

That's what I said.

I know. Just the way to you wrote it I though it was as if you though I hadn't. Must have been the tone I read it in.

The dub of Wolf's Rain was also excellent. Blue's English actor was also her Japanese.

Not over here. But I heard it had mixed reviews. Good animation, bad plot they said.

433922[/snapback]

Some people said the plot sucked, but I thought the idea of searching for Paradise was pretty good.

InuYasha the movie 2 sould be out in canada soon... I like that Idea

I'm gonna get that tomorrow! *dances* My friend lent me a fansub that I had to watch on Windows Media Player but I could hardly read the subtitles, so I just watched about two minutes of it.

• 1 month later...
Anime in Canada Updates

Canada's Teletoon television network will air two segments from The Animatrix each night from 10-10:30pm from March 14-18th. The shorts will repeat at the same time the following week.

Witch Hunter Robin will finish its run on YTV on March 4. Back-to-back episodes of Inuyasha will air in its place on March 11 and 18 from 10-11pm.

The highly anticipated first Inuyasha movie, "Affections Touching Across Time," will air on March 25 from 9-11pm.

The .hack//SIGN anime TV series will debut on the YTV network on April 1st at 10:30pm.

The finale of Dragonball Z will air on March 25. It's unknown at this time whether it will start over or be replaced on April 1.

And in related anime news significant to Canadian anime fans, FUNimation's Lance Heiskell has announced on the Anime on DVD Forum that the Fullmetal Alchemist DVD Starter Set will be available in Canada exclusively from Future Shop stores beginning March 25th.

Viz has revealed specific details about its recently announced Shojo Beat manga magazine. Beginning in July 2005 the monthly magazine will retail at $5.99 per issue, and VIZ will offer a special six-month introductory annual subscription special of $29.95 coinciding with the debut. Beginning in May, a special preview issue will be available at specialty retailers and summer anime and comic conventions.

The magazine will initially carry six different continuing stories:

NANA (NANA) by Ai Yazawa

Absolute Boyfriend (Zettai Kareshi) by Yuu Watase

Crimson Hero (Koshoku Hero) by Mitsuba Takanashi

Kaze Hikaru (Kaze Hikaru) by Taeko Watanabe

Godchild (God Child) by Kaori Yuki

Baby and Me (Akachan To Boku) by Marimo Ragawa

VIZ will also simultaneously debut a Shojo Beat graphic novel line, which will offer an ongoing library of new shojo titles at $8.99 each.

AD Vision Delays Scheduled Releases

AD Vision has indefinitely delayed the release of the following three DVD releases:

Dirty Pair OVA Collection, originally scheduled for release on March 1

Noir High Definition DVD volume 1, originally scheduled for release on March 8

Princess Tutu DVD volume 2: Traum, originally scheduled for release on March 8

Source: http://www.animenation.net/news/index.php