Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Experts agree Thylacine photographs are genuine

UM-Bot

news icon rMysterious photographs at the centre of the latest Tasmanian tiger sightings contain a thylacine, experts agree. Two senior Tasmanian figures who were asked to inspect the photographs last week agree - the blurry and partially obscured animal shown is unmistakably a thylacine.

The photographs included the distinctive stripes Tasmanian tigers were renowned for, the pair said yesterday. It now comes down to whether the images, snapped by a digital camera, can be proven to be authentic.

news icon View: Full Article | Source: news.com.au

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mad Manfred

• Dezmond

• tigger

• bloodmoon

It would be nice to see an animal thought to be wiped out had survived some how. But as stated in the article a digital photo can be faked rather easily. They will have to put Hunting Cameras in the area and see if more photos of a conventional nature can be obtained.

Other wise its just another hoaxs. wink2.gif

I`ve always believed they never became extinct, just because we haven`t been able to find one doesn`t mean its doesn`t exist. Lets hope these photos are genuine and not fake and part of someones bloody prank!

from what i saw on news coverage last night, the german tourist had sold them and their rights to a magazine.. so i guess we have to wait till new (no) idea comes out..

Very doubtful its still alive today...a carcass or tracks or SOMETHING would have been presented before now.

Very doubtful its still alive today...a carcass or tracks or SOMETHING would have been presented before now.

506395[/snapback]

Well maybe they found tracks but people didn't believe they were real. I also think because of the many fake report about thylacines they don't do so much research anymore. They don't take them serious anymore.

And carcasses don't have to be found, we don't often find carcasses of other animals who are much bigger.

But the change of them alive is also small. Other animals related to them have been extinct long before humans lived there. So maybe they would get extinct, but us humans made it much quicker.

Yes but Tassie Tigers are canine.

Imagine a pack of wolves living in the woods near populated areas...You'd notice.

The supposed picture is probably nothing more than a wild dog or dingo.

but tazzie tigers were not a canine, and im pretty sure they didn't hunt in packs. as for the carcas, have you seen what a tazzie devil can do to a wombat carcas in 1 night? and a wombat is alot bigger then a tazzie tiger.

ive always kinda thought they were out there still.

but tazzie tigers were not a canine, and im pretty sure they didn't hunt in packs.

I agree, I'm sure I saw a documentary which said they were solitary. I also agree they arn't dogs, they were just shaped by the same evolutionary forces, the biggest give-a-way was they were Marsupials, while dogs certainly arn't.

I'm sorry, but a Dingo doesn't look anything like a Thylacine:

user posted image

Dingo:

user posted image

Plus Talon and bloodmoon are correct - a thylacines are not canines, they might look similar because of parallel evolution.

Actually a bird species native to New zealand and thought to be extinct for over 50 years was rediscovered a while back. I can't remember exactly which one it was off hand but I think it was the Kakapo. Similar things where also said about the giant Squid and Octopus Species, thought to be myth right up until only a few years ago and recently, particularly in the U.K. panther sightings have started to be taken seriuosly.

There is a reasonable possibilty that the tasmanian tiger might still exsist in very small numbers.

Edited by Kismit

Hmm, looks peculiarly like a semi-PhotoShopped version of the Lab/German Shepherd cross that came into work, today.

• 3 weeks later...

Even if it was a Dingo that would be news.

I don't think Dingos were ever introduced to tasmania, probably one reason the Thylacine lasted so much longer there than the mainland.

The Tasamnian Tiger is so awesome

If you ask me, declairing the Thylosine extinct was very presumptious in the first place...the declairation was made when the last thylosine in captivity died...however, there are such vast areas of unexplored bush that it would be very simple indeed for the animal to still be alive...in small number no doubt, but stable.

Hmm, looks peculiarly like a semi-PhotoShopped version of the Lab/German Shepherd cross that came into work, today.

507426[/snapback]

You mean, you have seen the picture?