Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Taliban promise to uphold rights for women and US allies, but White House is skeptical

Vorg

WASHINGTON – After taking over Afghanistan, the Taliban declared "amnesty" for government officials Tuesday and vowed to uphold women's rights under Islamic law – promises met with skepticism in Washington. 

Before the U.S.-led invasion in 2001, women virtually had no rights under the fundamentalist Taliban's oppressive rule. Most were forced to quit their jobs and stay at home, denied access to education and health care, enduring high rates of illiteracy and maternal mortality.

"We have pardoned all those who have fought against us. Animosities have come to an end," he said. "We do not want to have any problems with the international community."

Taliban promise to uphold rights for women and US allies, but White House is skeptical (msn.com)

Hmm, I think what the interpreter said was: " . . . women will have rights . . . . rights under Sharia Law". Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that is basically no rights.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

26 minutes ago, ouija ouija said:

Hmm, I think what the interpreter said was: " . . . women will have rights . . . . rights under Sharia Law". Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that is basically no rights.

I read that some young women have felt the need to burn their educational certificates in case they are accused of some sort of blasphemy. 

Imagine having to go through life pretending you don't know anything, that you can't drive a car or do a responsible job, you can't leave the house unless you are accompanied by a male, and that that male has been indoctrinated to believe it is okay to throw acid in a females face or to stone her to death if another male accuses her of some religious infraction.

They are not going back to the Stone Age, I'm sure Stone Age societies were better organised. It is something worse. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, ouija ouija said:

The Taliban on Tuesday declared a general "amnesty" for all in Afghanistan and are urging women to join the government following the takeover of the country, an official with the group said.

“The Islamic Emirate of Afghanistan doesn’t want the women to be the victims anymore,” Samangani said. “The Islamic Emirate of Afghanistan is ready to provide women with environment to work and study, and the presence of women in different (government) structures according to Islamic law and in accordance with our cultural values," adding that "all sides should join" the government, according to the Associated Press.

Taliban declare 'amnesty' for Afghans and urge women to join government (msn.com)

We'll just have to see how things work out. Hopefully they stay true to what they say.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, South Alabam said:

We'll just have to see how things work out. Hopefully they stay true to what they say.

Edited by The Silver Shroud

4 hours ago, South Alabam said:

I sure hope so, but I can't see it happening.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

IF they've done a deal with the CCP - another international crime syndicate like themselves - then they may well attempt to avoid as much global condemnation as possible.  It'd be kind of difficult to keep evidence of a bloody purge from getting out.  I doubt they have enough discipline in place to keep all of it from occurring though.  

• Like 1

What a joke… Such an unfortunate situation. :(

A Taliban member walks into a bar… And enslaves several women because of it.

Mine is not as good a their rhetoric, I feel.

Edited by Timothy
Typo.

9 hours ago, South Alabam said:

The Taliban on Tuesday declared a general "amnesty" for all in Afghanistan and are urging women to join the government following the takeover of the country, an official with the group said.

“The Islamic Emirate of Afghanistan doesn’t want the women to be the victims anymore,” Samangani said. “The Islamic Emirate of Afghanistan is ready to provide women with environment to work and study, and the presence of women in different (government) structures according to Islamic law and in accordance with our cultural values," adding that "all sides should join" the government, according to the Associated Press.

Taliban declare 'amnesty' for Afghans and urge women to join government (msn.com)

Governments all around the world lie constantly, why should the Taliban be any different? The only reason they might keep some women in their jobs for the time being, would be to keep the country running as smoothly as possible. Once male replacements are trained up, out go the women! :(

2 hours ago, and then said:

IF they've done a deal with the CCP - another international crime syndicate like themselves - then they may well attempt to avoid as much global condemnation as possible.  It'd be kind of difficult to keep evidence of a bloody purge from getting out.  I doubt they have enough discipline in place to keep all of it from occurring though.  

You could be right, but on the opposite side I suspect that Taliban impose discipline through violence and fear of violence even within their own ranks. Doubtless there will be unsavoury actions but in the short to medium term at least I can se the Taliban cracking down very hard on their own supporters who distract from the image that they wish to portray to the wider world. 

Not fact checked, but this is doing the rounds: https://www.foxnews.com/world/taliban-killings-continue-afghanistan

Even as Afghanistan's resurgent Taliban pledged to respect "women’s rights" in a propaganda blitz Tuesday, fighters from the group shot and killed a woman in Takhar province after she went out in public without a burqa.’

• Like 1

We'll have to see how things go, it could go full hardcore Muslim Dictatorship, but after the **** in Syria and the Arab Spring, with them having power for the first time in 20 years, they might decide to loosen up a bit to avoid dealing with a revolution. It really could go either way at this point, only time will tell if they learned anything. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Autochthon1990 said:

We'll have to see how things go, it could go full hardcore Muslim Dictatorship, but after the **** in Syria and the Arab Spring, with them having power for the first time in 20 years, they might decide to loosen up a bit to avoid dealing with a revolution. It really could go either way at this point, only time will tell if they learned anything. 

It is religion. If you want to stop learning or knowledge, just fill people's heads full of two thousand year old gibberish and then enforce it with corporal and capital punishment. I so despise religion, all religion, they say it is all about love as it impoverishes, tortures and kills its adherents.

I was so hopeful about the Arab Spring because I believed it would free them from the confines of fundamental religious belief. It didn't.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Autochthon1990 said:

Images of bloodied Afghans

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/images-bloodied-afghans-contradict-taliban-s-claims-moderation-n1277042

4 hours ago, Autochthon1990 said:

It would be wise for them. The world is watching, and they know it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, South Alabam said:

It would be wise for them. The world is watching, and they know it.

I'm not sure they care what the rest of the world thinks. They haven't up to now.

• Thanks 1

They are already removing all posters and pictures of women from all offices and shops, TOLO news anchor was sent home even after wearing traditional Islamic dress. 

20 minutes ago, ouija ouija said:

I'm not sure they care what the rest of the world thinks. They haven't up to now.

I suppose so. But their treatment of their own people will say a lot about how the world sees them, and any future Diplomacy efforts.

They might resort back to pre U.S days, but I am just hoping they abide by the vow their leader gave. All one can do is hope that all the Taliban under him get his word throughout the country, and abide by it.

And I know a few will die or be beaten but I am hoping it was because they did not get his word yet.

The alternative to hope is despair for these people.

Edited by South Alabam
  • Like 1

When women can't leave the house without a chaperone but 10yr old boys are trained with assault rifles.