Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

'Free Guy': are we all characters in a simulation?

UM-Bot

I have days of sudden deja vu that I honestly swear I'm experiencing the same moments granted they're brief...

• Like 1

12 hours ago, jethrofloyd said:

Yeah, we are all just a bunch of Super Mario's.

I see this a lot, do people think Mario Mario is called Super Mario?

Anyway back on topic; lots of people hold this view but ultimately where does that go? If we are a simulation in a computer... where is the computer? If the computer is in 'reality' then that doesn't really answer what happens after death in that reality. It also seems weird that programmers would make their program (humans) pretty complicated but also not particularly efficient in all areas (such as eyes). If the programmer just designed the universe and its laws and then let it play out and watch it, that could cover that issue but then what is the goal? Finally, various events in my life have happened that has made me question if we're in a simulation. Various coincidences. Whether I seriously believe we are in a simulation or not is irrelevant, but the events did make me think 'huh, maybe...'. One example is I subscribe to a magazine, stuff happened and I didn't renew in time for one issue, I was going to miss this issue and mess up my collection. I go out shopping to a store I've been going to for 20 years. There in the magazine rack is the magazine I needed. I have never seen it sold in that store for 20 years. I have never seen the magazine for sale since I bought that one. Again, probably a coincidence or they order a small amount that sells quickly and I got lucky with the stocking of these ones. Still, I check every time i'm in there to see if the magazine is for sale, even if I'm getting it via sub.

Bit of a tangent there but still.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Is this all a "Truman" thing? Great movie but...

If we are the NPC then who are the PC?

I always found that particular thought experiment particularly fruitless. Why would we be in a simulation annd who runs it? People in another simulation? Where does it end? 

It ultimately answers nothing. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

"Ready Player One "

I never thought I might be in a simulation . . .   Now I am thinking about it . . .  What damn purpose would it serve?  ;-)  

• Like 1

<reset>

<start>

"Bwaaaahhhh!!!"

<project female gland>

"Mmmmm...mmmmm... mmmm "

• Haha 1

On 8/21/2021 at 5:21 PM, Orphalesion said:

I always found that particular thought experiment particularly fruitless. Why would we be in a simulation annd who runs it? People in another simulation? Where does it end? 

The Programmer's ways are mysterious...

• Haha 1

A "simulation" of what?   I've never understood the idea.

2 hours ago, lightly said:

A "simulation" of what?   I've never understood the idea.

How about the simulation of doing God's will here on earth, as it will be done there in heaven.

Perhaps a life simulator like a flight simulator teaches a person how to fly an airplane.

• Like 1

basically the word  simulation means , Not Real.. a contrived copy.      And if I am part of this supposed simulation, Then I'm not real either!  As, in, EXISTING as a living ,thinking, emoting, sentient creature.

No matter how complex or advanced AI gets, it will never be truely aware of anything, including it's own existence .   ?  It's still only a    machine.   ??

Edited by lightly
  • Like 1

On 8/21/2021 at 1:52 AM, SD455GTO said:

Is this all a "Truman" thing? Great movie but...

It's basically what you get when you put The Lego Movie, The Maxtrix, and The Truman Show all into one.

On 8/24/2021 at 9:13 AM, Will Due said:

How about the simulation of doing God's will here on earth, as it will be done there in heaven.

Hi Will

If we are just programs how could one not do god's will if they have none to start with because there is no reality just programs, like say for instance that my programming is to be a pain in your or someone else's imaginary a@@ how would I not be doing god's will if that is how he wrote the script? :huh:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/21/2021 at 10:21 AM, Orphalesion said:

I had another dream last nite that...in the dream...I knew it wasn't a dream but I was wishing it was...but I knew it was actually happening...when I woke up I laughed and thought ...that was only a dream...pffft

Some people just don't know what reality is.  ...and then again...some of us do!   ;)

Yes. We are inside the Matrix....except we are characters that don't get out until after someone extracts our code and puts it into a body. Then we become Battlestar Galatica type cylons that are immortal.