Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What science says about recurring dreams

Still Waters

Having the same dream again and again is a well-known phenomenon — nearly two-thirds of the population report having recurring dreams. Being chased, finding yourself naked in a public place or in the middle of a natural disaster, losing your teeth or forgetting to go to class for an entire semester are typical recurring scenarios in these dreams.

But where does the phenomenon come from? The science of dreams shows that recurring dreams may reflect unresolved conflicts in the dreamer’s life.

Recurring dreams often occur during times of stress, or over long periods of time, sometimes several years or even a lifetime. Not only do these dreams have the same themes, they can also repeat the same narrative night after night.

Although the exact content of recurring dreams is unique to every individual, there are common themes among individuals and even among cultures and in different periods. For example, being chased, falling, being unprepared for an exam, arriving late or trying to do something repeatedly are among the most prevalent scenarios.

https://theconversation.com/being-chased-losing-your-teeth-or-falling-down-what-science-says-about-recurring-dreams-166006

I've never had the same exact dream twice, but I've visited the same location many times in dreams with elements of one dream leaving a memory imprint so that when I dream about it again I get a great sense of familiarity and continuity, even though the place in my dream does not exist in the real world.  I've been there so often that I can draw a map of the entire place and each time I wake up I remember more detail and the map gets bigger.  I just wish I could go there in the real world.

• Like 4

On 8/21/2021 at 1:00 AM, Still Waters said:

Having the same dream again and again is a well-known phenomenon — nearly two-thirds of the population report having recurring dreams. Being chased, finding yourself naked in a public place or in the middle of a natural disaster, losing your teeth or forgetting to go to class for an entire semester are typical recurring scenarios in these dreams.

But where does the phenomenon come from? The science of dreams shows that recurring dreams may reflect unresolved conflicts in the dreamer’s life.

Recurring dreams often occur during times of stress, or over long periods of time, sometimes several years or even a lifetime. Not only do these dreams have the same themes, they can also repeat the same narrative night after night.

Although the exact content of recurring dreams is unique to every individual, there are common themes among individuals and even among cultures and in different periods. For example, being chased, falling, being unprepared for an exam, arriving late or trying to do something repeatedly are among the most prevalent scenarios.

https://theconversation.com/being-chased-losing-your-teeth-or-falling-down-what-science-says-about-recurring-dreams-166006

I assume the science here is psychology?

It is not hard to learn to interpret your dream symbology and use it to rectify or solve problems or fears in your life

I wonder what it means to often dream that you are naked or half naked, yet have no concern for being so, even when walking down a crowded street or teaching a class of students.? ( After all, it's your dream, your mind, and all the characters in it are elements of yourself, so there is no need for shame or modesty) 

Some argue  dreaming you are naked in public  is based on an embarrassment or secret,  or guilt, or inferiority complex; but it's also possible it is the opposite.  (A total lack of fear or inhibition.   Being happy to reveal all  (Physically and psychologically) with no secrets or shame )

Edited by Mr Walker

• 2 weeks later...

Dreams are just your brain amusing itself with what it has when most of your senses are turned off.
Of course it's going to use material you stress over, obsess over, and are dealing with consciously. There's a lot of material there. It's also going to mine memory and imagination.
I personally love dreaming, even nightmares are fascinating. I try to write mine down as much as possible.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Dreams are many things but most importantly I think they are like a windshield looking into the place we go when we die. It�s you�re mind that has a glitch dealing with the information it receives. It�s like a pot over full that spills out valuable information about the future. Our mind runs simulations of different scenarios.