Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Pastor dies while attempting 'resurrection'

UM-Bot

14 minutes ago, Jaded1 said:

Getting his bid in for a Darwin Award, no doubt. Isn't it about time we got rid of religion?

The root of the problem is stupid people, and the evil people who control/manipulate them for their own gain. Get rid of religion and a new one will form, under a different guise, maybe...But the same basic thing.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Seti42 said:

The root of the problem is stupid people, and the evil people who control/manipulate them for their own gain. Get rid of religion and a new one will form, under a different guise, maybe...But the same basic thing.

You've got a salient point there. I'm not so sure that a new religion would form these days though, although I could never be certain of course. You've got to wonder what type of person would believe that they could resurrect after 3 days. Wouldn't that be sort of blasphemous in the eyes of the church anyway? Trying to emulate Jesus' supposed miracle?

22 minutes ago, Jaded1 said:

You've got a salient point there. I'm not so sure that a new religion would form these days though, although I could never be certain of course. You've got to wonder what type of person would believe that they could resurrect after 3 days. Wouldn't that be sort of blasphemous in the eyes of the church anyway? Trying to emulate Jesus' supposed miracle?

Regarding blasphemy, yes. It is blasphemous to try producing a miracle just for the sake of producing a miracle. It doesn't work like that, not even from the religious perspective.  

Christians have direct instruction in the New Testament, that should prevent such stunts: "Do not test the Lord your God." 

Regarding new religions, various conspiracy extremes are a form of new religion too. The old ones are at least more mature with each century, so I wouldn't wish they disappear. Also, I usually say that a kind person who happens to be religious makes their religion seem very acceptable, while an ******* makes their religion seem... well, the way religions are perceived: violent, controlling and generally *******-ish. 

I often wonder why God makes so many *******s, but it's probably the free will thing. 'scuse me for delivering the sermon :D    

• Like 3

Life is tough... it's considerably tougher when you're incorrigibly ignorant.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Raptor Witness said:

I don't think we're supposed to test God like this.

I don’t think we’re meant to believe that gods exist.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Timothy said:

I don’t think we’re meant to believe that gods exist.

“Meant” implies a Higher Power.

Edited by Raptor Witness

18 minutes ago, Ernest Yeap said:

Maybe there really is no god..

Maybe there is no “you.”

9 minutes ago, Raptor Witness said:

“Meant” implies a Higher Power.

Meant is a word in a language. That is all.

1 hour ago, Raptor Witness said:

Maybe there is no “you.”

Maybe there is no "you" too!

1 hour ago, Timothy said:

Meant is a word in a language. That is all.

Actually, your very choice of words implies a Higher Power, and apparently are too embarrassed to understand your own “word.”

Typical humanist arrogance….. 

“I am me, and there is no Other”

Mean

(third-person singular simple present means, present participle meaning, simple past and past participle meant)

3. (transitive, usually in passive) To intend (something) for a given purpose or fate; to predestine. [from 16th c.]

Man was not meant to question such things.
Edited by Raptor Witness

36 minutes ago, Raptor Witness said:

Actually, your very choice of words implies a Higher Power, and apparently are too embarrassed to understand your own “word.”

Typical humanist arrogance….. 

“I am me, and there is no Other”

Mean

(third-person singular simple present means, present participle meaning, simple past and past participle meant)

3. (transitive, usually in passive) To intend (something) for a given purpose or fate; to predestine. [from 16th c.]

Man was not meant to question such things.

Nope. I don’t think that humans are meant to believe in god.

It’s a consequence of evolution and consciousness and being able to invent fiction.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Timothy said:

Nope. I don’t think that humans are meant to believe in god.

It’s a consequence of evolution and consciousness and being able to invent fiction.

Why don’t you just say, “I don’t believe in God,” rather than I don’t believe that men were “meant to believe in God,” because it sounds like you’re making excuses for your own creation, which implies a Higher Power in the first place.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Raptor Witness said:

Why don’t you just say, “I don’t believe in God,” rather than I don’t believe that men were “meant to believe in God,” because it sounds like you’re making excuses for your own creation, which implies a Higher Power in the first place.

How does it imply a higher power?

And I’d prefer a concise, short winded and non prophetic version please.

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Timothy said:

How does it imply a higher power?

And I’d prefer a concise, short winded and non prophetic version please.

I already gave you one definition above. Your version implies precognition.

1 hour ago, Raptor Witness said:

I already gave you one definition above. Your version implies precognition.

Precognition now? That’d be handy! Would save many shrimps!

Can you please explain how my version implies precognition?

—————

Jimmy: Throw another shrimp on the baaaaarbie!

Bruce: Nah mate, there’s already plenty on there!

Jimmy: But they’re already out of the fridge! 

Bruce: Better chuck ‘em in the bin. And wrap ‘em up first so they don’t stink in the heat.

Jimmy (disheartened): What a crock of sh!t, if only precognition were real…

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, Seti42 said:

• Haha 3

16 hours ago, quiXilver said:

Life is tough... it's considerably tougher when you're incorrigibly ignorant.

Nothing could be more true, some people will believe anything. It's like that new comet that they discovered heading into our Solar System. There is talk online that there is a new Cult called the Heavens Trump Cult and the followers are waiting to catch a ride on this comet as it passes Earth, scary stuff isn't it!:no:

They say this is the day the Cult started. :yes:

842A77B1-48E7-4E2B-AAC2-178CE5DACC96-937-0000011DBF96106C.png

E16CC7C3-7F0E-4755-B5A0-35C0F3282368-937-0000011DD1343A23.png

Edited by Manwon Lender
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, Timothy said:

Precognition now? That’d be handy! Would save many shrimps!

Can you please explain how my version implies precognition?

—————

Jimmy: Throw another shrimp on the baaaaarbie!

Bruce: Nah mate, there’s already plenty on there!

Jimmy: But they’re already out of the fridge! 

Bruce: Better chuck ‘em in the bin. And wrap ‘em up first so they don’t stink in the heat.

Jimmy (disheartened): What a crock of sh!t, if only precognition were real…

When you say that some thing is just a word, you begin with ignorance as the foundation of your argument.

I’m not saying that you are ignorant, I’m just saying that what you said sounds ignorant. “Meant to” implies a creation of something.

if I said that it sounded stupid, would that make you feel better? Again, I’m not saying that you are stupid.

You can believe whatever you want, but “meant to” as part of a argument for why there is no God, is insanely ridiculous, as was your example.

Edited by Raptor Witness

7 hours ago, Raptor Witness said:

When you say that some thing is just a word, you begin with ignorance as the foundation of your argument.

I’m not saying that you are ignorant, I’m just saying that what you said sounds ignorant. “Meant to” implies a creation of something.

if I said that it sounded stupid, would that make you feel better? Again, I’m not saying that you are stupid.

You can believe whatever you want, but “meant to” as part of a argument for why there is no God, is insanely ridiculous, as was your example.

You’re just cementing the fact that you can’t answer questions or support your own baseless claims. You’re just talking sh!t in the purest of forms.

Don’t worry, I won’t ask any more for now.

3 hours ago, Timothy said:

You’re just cementing the fact that you can’t answer questions or support your own baseless claims. You’re just talking sh!t in the purest of forms.

Don’t worry, I won’t ask any more for now.

No, I made an argument for why “meant to” sounds ridiculous in the context you made your argument.

I’m not Billy Graham. My mantra is different.

Mine is: ”The peril to come will be directly proportional to the denial of the power at hand”

What that means is, you can believe whatever you choose, but the peril will increase, if men say that an announced plague, had no Higher Power origin.

It is the arrogance of humanism that shall be tested, not God Almighty.