Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Anti-Taliban fighters claim victories as first stirrings of armed resistance emerge

Vorg

I applaud their courage and I hope we will be resupplying them and helping them with what intel we have.  The current administration needs to send a very public message that we are on the verge of sending in a massive number of troops to retake Bagram and Kabul and to use airpower to harry them all over Afghanistan unless they open free passage to the Kabul airfield until every last American is evacuated.  If they refuse or even are slow to respond then we have to make good on the threat and while we're there we need to turn much of that U.S. equipment we left behind into smoking rubble.  I think the MIC may well get their wish of turning the withdrawal back and causing the war to continue.  IF they do, the Democrat party is going to pay the price and I think they are beginning to understand just how high that price will be, come election time next year.  What they have done here is an outrage and most Americans, regardless of party, agree.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, and then said:

and while we're there we need to turn much of that U.S. equipment we left behind into smoking rubble. 

Hi And Then 

I find this odd when you also said

1 hour ago, and then said:

I applaud their courage and I hope we will be resupplying them and helping them with what intel we have. 

Just who's equipment do you think the anti Taliban fighters are using to fight with?:huh:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, closed for business said:

Hi And Then 

I find this odd when you also said

Just who's equipment do you think the anti Taliban fighters are using to fight with?:huh:

We know where the equipment is that the Taliban have seized.  Obviously, we would also know where any newly supplied equipment is located.  There  are vast numbers of armored vehicles and vehicles of all types and descriptions that we left for the Afghan Army who then handed it over without a fight.  I wouldn't risk a single American JUST to destroy that equipment but if we are forced to go back anyway, nothing should be left to the Taliban that we are able to locate and target.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, and then said:

We know where the equipment is that the Taliban have seized.  Obviously, we would also know where any newly supplied equipment is located.  There  are vast numbers of armored vehicles and vehicles of all types and descriptions that we left for the Afghan Army who then handed it over without a fight.  I wouldn't risk a single American JUST to destroy that equipment but if we are forced to go back anyway, nothing should be left to the Taliban that we are able to locate and target.  

I agree destroy everything we can, but going back I don't believe that is an option. The Chinese have already cut a deal with Taliban at this point it could become a shooting match with China. Nah, the damage has already been done, and we caused it to happen, now we must just wait and see what happens. 

• Like 3

And maybe that is the role we should be playing, helping rebels take their country back from the Taliban rather than trying to do it for them or telling them how to run it once they do.   We still have people on the ground doing intelligence operations.  It takes operatives on the ground and a communications network to find and marshall people to a point and get a Chinook helicopter to land there.. We have seen that happen. We have some kind of communications network and means to travel.  That can be turned to aiding the rebels. We also have satellite and aircraft surveillance still in effect that can aid them.  Frankly the government we backed was still full of corruption and women have not been treated superbly for the last 20 years either.  No doubt it can get worse though. But maybe citizens fighting for their nation can do a better job than outsiders with or without a lot of equipment.

The Taliban overran the country in short order without a single piece of that fancy equipment.  Whether they will abandon their tactics and jump into APC's remains to be seen.  It may be a hindrance in mountainous regions.  But it is still in country for the taking if the rebels think it will help them.. If not, people left in country can blow it up or sell it for scrap or warlords and tribal leaders can pay their followers with the booty.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

I agree destroy everything we can, but going back I don't believe that is an option. The Chinese have already cut a deal with Taliban at this point it could become a shooting match with China. Nah, the damage has already been done, and we caused it to happen, now we must just wait and see what happens. 

I would appreciate your experience.  A former work friend who spent three tours in Afghanistan and Iraq  as a combat engineer strongly believes that we have people on the ground all through Afghanistan, both locals and foreign nationals that are currently helping people get to marshalling points and get recovered.  He also  thinks that if he were still in theater, he and his buddies would have degraded of boobby trapped a lot of the equipment when they left.  Do you think he might be correct or wishful thinking?

It is a whole lot easier to be a rebel disruptor than to actually run a country.  The Taliban may fail big time at governing in which case, they become the officials in known positions with bodyguards in  a Hummer that some other rebel group can target.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

Hi Manwon

I am not really a person that likes to discuss some aspects of magic. If I leave a dozen doughnuts sitting on the counter do you think about if there are anymore in the fridge freezer(depending on need) that are available

Oh look American arms were found someplace, if you destroy the counter the doughnuts are on how do you explain all the doughnuts in the fridge or how the opposition was supplied without creating a self problem of supporting resistance while trying to promote we aren't coming back?

Many things in life work the same way and have seen wars of my own.

13 minutes ago, Tatetopa said:

I would appreciate your experience.  A former work friend who spent three tours in Afghanistan and Iraq  as a combat engineer strongly believes that we have people on the ground all through Afghanistan, both locals and foreign nationals that are currently helping people get to marshalling points and get recovered.  He also  thinks that if he were still in theater, he and his buddies would have degraded of boobby trapped a lot of the equipment when they left.  Do you think he might be correct or wishful thinking?

It is a whole lot easier to be a rebel disruptor than to actually run a country.  The Taliban may fail big time at governing in which case, they become the officials in known positions with bodyguards in  a Hummer that some other rebel group can target.

I believe there could be groups of individuals that could be trying to get people out, but honestly if that is going on it's way above my pay grade. What I think would have been more likely is that as the Taliban were advancing many people where gotten out before areas where taken over. As far as destroying equipment that would seem likely, but the problem is that equipment was in Afghan Military hands.

In my opinion during the peace talks during the Trump Administration the Taliban cut a deal with the Afghan Government and its Military not to resist when the US began to withdraw. I believe the Afghan government betrayed the US and their own people, that's why it was basically a bloodless coup and that's why everything fell into their hands so easily. So, I doubt the Afghan military boobby trapped their equipment, however, that may have been done with equipment in US hands in the end. 

This is all just my opinion, but it seems very strange there was no resistance like it was completely planned.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, closed for business said:

Hi Manwon

I am not really a person that likes to discuss some aspects of magic. If I leave a dozen doughnuts sitting on the counter do you think about if there are anymore in the fridge freezer(depending on need) that are available

Oh look American arms were found someplace, if you destroy the counter the doughnuts are on how do you explain all the doughnuts in the fridge or how the opposition was supplied without creating a self problem of supporting resistance while trying to promote we aren't coming back?

Many things in life work the same way and have seen wars of my own.

That's a little to deep for me, I think the fall of the Afghan Government and the advance of the Taliban was a coordinated effected that was planned for many years just waiting for the US withdraw. 

5 hours ago, South Alabam said:

Anti-Taliban fighters claim victories as first stirrings of armed resistance emerge (msn.com)

KABUL —Groups of armed Afghans attacked the Taliban on Friday, driving Afghanistan's new rulers out of three northern districts, the first assault against the Islamist militants since they swept into Kabul last week and seized control of the government.

Local anti-Taliban commanders claimed in interviews they had killed as many as 30 of the group’s fighters and captured 20 in the takeover of the districts in Baghlan province, just over 100 miles north of the capital. Former Afghan service members were joined in the fight, they said, by local civilians. Images shared online showed celebrations as the red, green and black Afghan national flag — rather than the white flag of the Taliban — was raised over government buildings.

Civil war on its way

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

That's a little to deep for me, I think the fall of the Afghan Government and the advance of the Taliban was a coordinated effected that was planned for many years just waiting for the US withdraw. 

I dont think it was planned as such, but Afghanistan knows the score.

Its been in this situation several times where it has beaten off an occupying army. It even did it to us Brits if you get your history books out, not only the Russians.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Manwon Lender said:

Hi Manwon

I am not a part of the in on the know crowd, but I am a planner and observer in a sense and hope that you understand my intent in that statement given our personal exchanges in PM. I knew a cab company owner back home that wanted to adopt me to be a counter for his inheritors. He financed some of his drivers to  create a new cab company so he could control 2 thirds of the market instead of one half. Business is business and some ways what see in other aspects of life is not so different given how wars and alliances are made. I admit that I am remiss to discuss some things because that is how things are, there is an organization that produces and distributes specific products and to get the bulk of product to intended consumers that  will give up a dumba$$ that owes and set him up for a bust to let the bulk slide by. personally I do not see this from a different light.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cookie Monster said:

Civil war on its way

I believe the Taliban are bringing it upon themselves. They promised amnesty, woman's right etc.. then have shown none of it. Even setting a woman on fire for being a bad cook. They either live like that, or take up their arms and annihilate these animals.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, South Alabam said:

I believe the Taliban are bringing it upon themselves. They promised amnesty, woman's right etc.. then have shown none of it. Even setting a woman on fire for being a bad cook. They either live like that, or take up their arms and annihilate these animals.

There are plenty of videos getting out of Afghanistan that show unbelievable viciousness around that airport perimeter.  They're mostly too bloody to be posted here.  Those who are behaving as though this situation is a done deal aren't paying attention to the facts on the ground.  We have, effectively, the equivalent of 15-40 thousand U.S. hostages on the ground, OUTSIDE that airport perimeter.  The checkpoints are too dangerous to approach and even our State department is texting that message to all citizens.  They're being told to stay put but they aren't being given information about when they can expect help.  Imagine being in that situation or having a loved one in that situation.

There was no way to leave smoothly and cleanly but there was definitely a way to avoid THIS level of chaos and bloodshed.  Now, we either accept a continuing public humiliation while these goat herders taunt us with prisoners while demanding ransom or we have to go back in in force and lose troops and kill large numbers of Afghans who are placed in our line of fire as shields.  Once they begin that kind of action, we should begin pounding every base and provincial capitol they've taken and killing as many of these scum as we can until they get the message that they either let our people leave or they'll pay a price that is too painful for the benefits they hope to gain.

• Like 1

Fighting is heating up.  A large Taliban force has been sent to Pantjsir and is being lead by one of their better commanders with extensive combat experience.

There has been fighting and there are casualties on both sides.  Not much is known at the moment but it seems the Pantjsiri militia have tried to demolish a bridge.  The bridge seems to be still standing but damaged.

This is where things become less clear.  Both sides have experienced casualties from the fighting so far.  Pro-Taliban sources are saying the Taliban have captured two positions and are advancing.  The Pro-militia sources are saying the Pantjsiri miltia have successfully lured Taliban forces into an ambush with currently 300 killed and over 1,000 trapped.  Both sides are probably exaggerating but there has been conflict now between the two sides.

From pics I been seeing the Pantjsiri miltia seem more like an actual military then the Afghan military.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, DarkHunter said:

Fighting is heating up.  A large Taliban force has been sent to Pantjsir and is being lead by one of their better commanders with extensive combat experience.

There has been fighting and there are casualties on both sides.  Not much is known at the moment but it seems the Pantjsiri militia have tried to demolish a bridge.  The bridge seems to be still standing but damaged.

This is where things become less clear.  Both sides have experienced casualties from the fighting so far.  Pro-Taliban sources are saying the Taliban have captured two positions and are advancing.  The Pro-militia sources are saying the Pantjsiri miltia have successfully lured Taliban forces into an ambush with currently 300 killed and over 1,000 trapped.  Both sides are probably exaggerating but there has been conflict now between the two sides.

From pics I been seeing the Pantjsiri miltia seem more like an actual military then the Afghan military.

If they were given an ultimatum RIGHT NOW that they either facilitate or at least get out of the way of the evacuation efforts or we will return and side with their enemies in a very destructive air campaign, I think they might decide to be a bit more reasonable.  Things like dropping bridges or taking out power stations or roads and such could easily be accomplished.  Probably in hours rather than days.  They could also be treated to some cluster munitions if the dare mass for an attack.  Bagram needs to be the priority.  It MUST be retaken and fortified.  THEN, if we choose to totally withdraw again, it needs to be left in a state where even the rubble becomes more rubble.  Booby trapping equipment would be a good plan, also.  Alas, I have a sinking feeling that our people will be left and the nation publicly humiliated for weeks or months.  Oh well... if they do, the Dems will have sealed their own fate here at home.

40 minutes ago, and then said:

it needs to be left in a state where even the rubble becomes more rubble. 

The saying is: "Bomb it until the rubble bounces. "

23 hours ago, and then said:

There are plenty of videos getting out of Afghanistan that show unbelievable viciousness around that airport perimeter.  They're mostly too bloody to be posted here.  Those who are behaving as though this situation is a done deal aren't paying attention to the facts on the ground.  We have, effectively, the equivalent of 15-40 thousand U.S. hostages on the ground, OUTSIDE that airport perimeter.  The checkpoints are too dangerous to approach and even our State department is texting that message to all citizens.  They're being told to stay put but they aren't being given information about when they can expect help.  Imagine being in that situation or having a loved one in that situation.

There was no way to leave smoothly and cleanly but there was definitely a way to avoid THIS level of chaos and bloodshed.  Now, we either accept a continuing public humiliation while these goat herders taunt us with prisoners while demanding ransom or we have to go back in in force and lose troops and kill large numbers of Afghans who are placed in our line of fire as shields.  Once they begin that kind of action, we should begin pounding every base and provincial capitol they've taken and killing as many of these scum as we can until they get the message that they either let our people leave or they'll pay a price that is too painful for the benefits they hope to gain.

Option 1: Ask the Taliban leader to please let the trapped people have unfettered access to the airport, or;

Option 2: Night drop 50,000 U.S paratroopers in a perimeter around the city catching them off guard, roads blocked, nothing in or out, and in the meantime land vehicles and supplies needed to support those troops. (Helicopters, AFV's) Move in, secure the streets, and then get the trapped people to safety. Or;

Option 3: Bring in troops for the long haul, which no one wants.

Option 4: Say to hell, with all these people and leave them. And only an idiot would choose that option.

Option 5: We'll have to wait and see what Biden does.

They've done it before they can do it again. If the West will arm them I think they could push the Talitubbies back but I think the West will be reluctant to arm them. Its a shame but we're good at abandoning people.:)

• Thanks 1