Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Dogs euthanised in NSW with rescuers not allowed in due to COVID-19 concerns

Still Waters

Bourke Shire Council says 15 dogs had to be euthanised at its pound because a rescue organisation from another local government area was unable to enter the town due to COVID-19 concerns.

Five dogs had been housed at the pound since early August and one of the dogs then had 10 pups.

Council said it had made contact twice last week with its usual dog rehomer, who is based in Cobar, but they were unable to come to Bourke.

Staff became concerned for the welfare of the dogs, due to overcrowding at the pound, and two of the dogs attacking one other.

In a statement, a spokesperson for the Bourke Shire Council said the issue was further compounded by regional COVID-19 restrictions:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-08-23/dogs-euthanised-in-bourke-over-covid-19-concerns/100399500

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/rescue-dogs-shot-dead-by-nsw-council-due-to-covid-19-restrictions-20210821

Several impounded dogs due to be rescued by a shelter have instead been shot dead by a rural council in NSW under its interpretation of COVID-19 restrictions, alarming animal activists and prompting a government probe.

Bourke Shire Council, in the state’s north-west, killed the dogs to prevent volunteers at a Cobar-based animal shelter from travelling to pick up the animals last week, according to council’s watchdog, the Office of Local Government.

“OLG has been informed that the council decided to take this course of action to protect its employees and community, including vulnerable Aboriginal populations, from the risk of COVID-19 transmission,” a spokesman from the government agency said.

The spokesman said the agency was examining the circumstances of the incident to find out whether companion animal and cruelty prevention laws had been broken.

The Herald attempted to contact the council administration multiple times, but received no response, and a member of Rural Outback Respite/Rescue – the shelter that was supposed to receive the dogs – declined to comment.

Link

• Sad 8

WTH is happening to the people in OZ?  This virus may kill only 1 in a 100 but it seems to be causing widespread insanity.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, and then said:

WTH is happening to the people in OZ?  This virus may kill only 1 in a 100 but it seems to be causing widespread insanity.

Yeah, **** that one person.
In other news, **** whoever shot those dogs with a rusty pipe. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, and then said:

The people in OZ are outraged at this idiot if you read the article.

That's how it made the headlines.

It's almost always the people trusted with guns that let us down. Takes a certain mindset I suppose.

Edited by psyche101
  • Confused 1

NSW upper house member Emma Hurst - and former PETA media officer - of the Animal Justice party says they were euthanised with a barbiturate overdose.

Roll the clock back to 16 August and read the National Indigenous Television (NITV) report on what was unfolding in Bourke.

Across NSW there were 478 new cases, and eight people died.

Western NSW Health’s Mr McLachlan said the majority of new cases were Aboriginal people, mostly children.

“Nearly 40 per cent are kids between the ages of 10 and 19,” he said.

“This is a really serious warning for parents of kids running around everywhere at the moment. Please stay home.”

Mr McLachlan said there were low rates of vaccination among Aboriginal children, as children 12 and over only became eligible this week.

He called on people to get vaccinated, and stressed that Pfizer is available.

“We need to protect our most precious kids in our communities,” Mr McLachlan said.

He urged residents to reach out to local Aboriginal Medical Centres, GP’s, vaccination hubs, respiratory clinics and prompted use of the Health Direct website. 

NITV also reports "major concerns" for the mostly indigenous town of Gulargambone.  It's the usual story of chronic disease and distrust of "white medicine" leading to poor health outcomes.

We had referendum in 1967 to count Aboriginals as part of the population and a Royal Commission into Aboriginal Deaths in Custody in the early 90's; but, apparently we're still stuck in the times of Macquarie and Macarthur.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

Yeah, **** that one person.

Yeah... people DIE, Hats.  You know it and so do the rest of us.  The point is how much should society bend for a government for the sake of ONE person out of a hundred?  You folks seem to have come to the conclusion that your government is trustworthy enough for you to blindly hand your lives over to them without a squeak in protest.  NOW they're slaughtering innocents that don't get a vote, all for the sake of their narrative.  You'll pardon me, or not, for having more concern for the truly innocent than for citizens who can make their own deals with the devil.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Golden Duck said:

It's the usual story of chronic disease and distrust of "white medicine" leading to poor health outcomes.

The same seems to be true in the African American population here.  They've seen things like the Tuskegee syphilis study and don't trust government's assurances about their medicines.  

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, and then said:

Yeah... people DIE, Hats.  You know it and so do the rest of us.  The point is how much should society bend for a government for the sake of ONE person out of a hundred?  You folks seem to have come to the conclusion that your government is trustworthy enough for you to blindly hand your lives over to them without a squeak in protest.  NOW they're slaughtering innocents that don't get a vote, all for the sake of their narrative.  You'll pardon me, or not, for having more concern for the truly innocent than for citizens who can make their own deals with the devil.  

I'd hate to live in America being manipulated by people like you. 

That's not a sane speech by any means. 

52 minutes ago, and then said:

The same seems to be true in the African American population here.  They've seen things like the Tuskegee syphilis study and don't trust government's assurances about their medicines.  

Well that's dumb. The circumstances aren't remotely the same. 

I pity those people. What a horrible way to live. Always in fear and loathing. 

Edited by psyche101

1 hour ago, and then said:

Blindly? 
Hardly. We listen to the science. We have a lot of science-y types discussing events and providing advice to the government (you know, that shower of self-aggrandising, whale flatulence we routinely vote to remain in or be voted out of positions of responsibility) who then act for the good of the majority. Which, apparently, right now says “let’s stay at home folks”. 
It harms me not in the slightest to do so when told so. My freedom to resist balances nicely with my responsibility to not accidentally contribute to the death of another human being. 

• Like 2

Ahh yes. Prior twattish behaviour neither precludes nor suggests that current behaviour is equally twattish.

• Thanks 1

Another reason we (as in “we Aussies”) should lockdown and mask up, to protect the people who because of past twatishness do not trust the current crop of talking heads.

Edited by Sir Wearer of Hats

4 minutes ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

Blindly? 
Hardly. We listen to the science. We have a lot of science-y types discussing events and providing advice to the government (you know, that shower of self-aggrandising, whale flatulence we routinely vote to remain in or be voted out of positions of responsibility) who then act for the good of the majority. Which, apparently, right now says “let’s stay at home folks”. 
It harms me not in the slightest to do so when told so. My freedom to resist balances nicely with my responsibility to not accidentally contribute to the death of another human being. 

I've mentioned the science people to him. He completely ignored everything I said about Paul Kelly. Even after posting the video, To Her Door.

You just can't reason with some people.

• Haha 1

Also, did you miss the bit about my desire to insert rusty pipes about the person of those responsible? 

1 minute ago, psyche101 said:

I've mentioned the science people to him. He completely ignored everything I said about Paul Kelly. Even after posting the video, To Her Door.

You just can't reason with some people.

I’m not attempting to change AT’s position on the matter, merely expressing my own. 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, and then said:

An African friend of mine works promoting health among the indigenous community in Tenant Creek.  It so small they call Alice Springs the city.  She's the one that relayed the fear of white medicine. She mentions other issues too.

Coincidentally, when I was bingeing on Longmire the same issues, such as FAS, were happening "on the res". But, this concern for the pandemic touching these communties has been there since the start.  The CFR, in closed cases, has been slowly creeping up to three per cent over the last year, even before reaching The Outback.

Even your underestimation of one pet cent is still high in this day and age.

I wouldn't normally shed a tear for unwanted dogs in a region that has problems with ferals.  And, I definitely won't cry for them now when vulnerable people might be at risk.

Edited by Golden Duck
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

I’m not attempting to change AT’s position on the matter, merely expressing my own. 

Well that joke was completely wasted. Congratulations. You are Australian right? You do know what the national anthem is I hope? 

Edited by psyche101
  • Haha 1

about 4000 of dogs and cats are killed daily in shelters, in usa,  i have personally seen blue 55gal drums filled with dead cats and dogs, being shipped to a place where they burn them all.  and all that stink in the op for just a dozen of dogs????

• Like 1

8 hours ago, psyche101 said:

Well that joke was completely wasted. Congratulations. You are Australian right? You do know what the national anthem is I hope? 

Waltzing Matilda, right? :p

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, aztek said:

about 4000 of dogs and cats are killed daily in shelters, in usa,  i have personally seen blue 55gal drums filled with dead cats and dogs, being shipped to a place where they burn them all.  and all that stink in the op for just a dozen of dogs????

Well yes, I’m appalled because this is my country to be appalled about. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

Waltzing Matilda, right? :p

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRP4N6f4US0K5VWhd4gklb

Pffft.

And you say you're and Aussie. I'm dubious now....... 

The REAL Aussie anthem. Not that tosh we peddle to tourists. 

2 hours ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

Well yes, I’m appalled because this is my country to be appalled about. 

Not only that.

Most dogs I've met are better than most people I've met 

It's murder as far as I'm concerned.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

Not only that.

Most dogs I've met are better than most people I've met 

It's murder as far as I'm concerned.

Dude, I’m dead set terrified of dogs and I think they’re better people than most people 

• Like 1