Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Capitol Police officer who shot Ashli Babbitt formally exonerated

OverSword

U.S. Capitol Police have formally exonerated an officer who shot and killed Ashli Babbitt on Jan. 6.

“USCP’s Office of Professional Responsibility (OPR) determined the officer’s conduct was lawful and within Department policy, which says an officer may use deadly force only when the officer reasonably believes that action is in the defense of human life, including the officer’s own life, or in the defense of any person in immediate danger of serious physical injury,” Capitol Police said in a statement.

The officer, who remains unidentified, will not face disciplinary action.

Their actions “potentially saved Members and staff from serious injury and possible death from a large crowd of rioters who forced their way into the U.S. Capitol and to the House Chamber where Members and staff were steps away,” Capitol Police said in the release.

“If the doors were breached, the rioters would have immediate access to the House Chambers. The officer’s actions were consistent with the officer’s training and USCP policies and procedures,” the agency continued.

Babbitt was shot as she tried to enter the Speaker's gallery just off the House floor in the Capitol on Jan. 6. A group of people who had stormed the building had slammed through a window to the gallery, and Babbitt was climbing through that space.

The officer fired one shot, hitting Babbitt in the left shoulder.

Link

I feel sorry for her family.  I wonder if they will get a copy of the report showing that the death of their veteran daughter/sister/aunt/etc. was justified and why?

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

She was shot at the entrance to the Speakers lobby which is the last area before the halls of Congress.

Had she made it through it could have led to dozens or hundreds making it through and the results of that day could have been much worse.

Rioters could be heard chanting "Hang Mike Pence." At what point do they just lay down their arms and just let all the rioters in?

They broke in and started coming through the broken part when the Officer shot her.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

It was still unnecessary as there are ~1,500 Capitol police officers with ~400 administrative personnel supporting them. Their annual budget is 450 million.

Estimates are that there were 500 on duty and that in itself is a large enough force to keep the protestors out of the Capitol building but unfortunately they were too busy opening doors, gates, waving people through and in general standing down.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, OverSword said:

Link

I feel sorry for her family.  I wonder if they will get a copy of the report showing that the death of their veteran daughter/sister/aunt/etc. was justified and why?

It's pretty clear how it was justified and why. 

Wether people accept that answer or not is what you are really asking. 

I feel sorry for her family too. Not only have they lost a loved one, but they have to live with how stupid her actions were and how those actions cost her life, causing many personal grief. She has left a dubious legacy. Not something to be remember proudly after doing the right thing and defending her nation. It is sad how she let herself down more than anything.

You get remembered for the last bad thing you did. Not all the good things. George Floyd has already illustrated that much. 

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

Just curious... 

Why was Ashli Babbitt the only so called insurrectionist shot by police that day?

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

No protests over an unarmed woman getting killed by a trigger happy officer. I'm sure whoever it was was in fear their life.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Michelle said:

No protests over an unarmed woman getting killed by a trigger happy officer. I'm sure whoever it was was in fear their life.

I think there was no protests because deep down everyone knew it was justified.  The closest we have seen to a protest is just internet complaints on forums like this.

5 minutes ago, acidhead said:

Just curious... 

Why was Ashli Babbitt the only so called insurrectionist shot by police that day?

The others backed away from the door after she fell.    

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Gromdor said:

So she was killed as an example to the rest of the people.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Gromdor said:

Yes. This was the only time the need for lethal force was executed. 

1 hour ago, acidhead said:

Just curious... 

I would suppose the first one in won the Darwin award. No second or third prizes.

Edited by psyche101
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Gromdor said:

I think there was no protests because deep down everyone knew it was justified.  The closest we have seen to a protest is just internet complaints on forums like this.

Candace Owens described Babbitt's actions as trespassing and said the shooting wasn't justified.

So shooting isn't justified in the case of trespassing, right?  Seems reasonable, right?

Candace Owens is right, right?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, toast said:

On the one hand US gun nuts insist on their right to shoot anyone who trespasses unauthorized in their garden and on the other hand the same people complain when someone who actively participates in a violent storming of a government building comes to harm. Strange world over there.

Privillaged thinking.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, toast said:

On the one hand US gun nuts insist on their right to shoot anyone who trespasses unauthorized in their garden and on the other hand the same people complain when someone who actively participates in a violent storming of a government building comes to harm. Strange world over there.

I don't think most people who own guns feel that way.   Breaking into your home is different though.   Just a stranger walking though your yard is different.  

By the way, I don't really have an issue with this person being shot.   Stupid things get you hurt.  

I see the same type of hypocrisy on the other side.   Scream when police shoot a criminal but are just fine with this.   Goes both ways.  

• Like 3

10 hours ago, psyche101 said:

It's pretty clear how it was justified and why. 

Wether people accept that answer or not is what you are really asking. 

I feel sorry for her family too. Not only have they lost a loved one, but they have to live with how stupid her actions were and how those actions cost her life, causing many personal grief. She has left a dubious legacy. Not something to be remember proudly after doing the right thing and defending her nation. It is sad how she let herself down more than anything.

You get remembered for the last bad thing you did. Not all the good things. George Floyd has already illustrated that much. 

No, I clearly wondered if her family will get a copy of the report. It’s not clear why someone hanging half in and half out was a deadly and immediate threat to anyone. Maybe they can explain that in the report. 

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, OverSword said:

No, I clearly wondered if her family will get a copy of the report. It’s not clear why someone hanging half in and half out of a window was a deadly and immediate threat to anyone. Maybe they can explain that in the report. 

Had to fix that, sloppy phone typing.

Edited by OverSword

well, someone esle may find him guilty and punish the way they punished that rich prick, and his mother. if system covers for its murderers some else, from outside the system" will have to step in and pick up the slack.  

14 hours ago, Michelle said:

So she was killed as an example to the rest of the people.

Hi Michelle

They have no way of knowing if she was carrying concealed weapons or a vest bomb under clothing and they are there to protect, if she did not take warnings then it is on her period.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

The vast vast vast majority of the time, if a person is shot by law enforcement, they have left law enforcement no option but to do that. That applies to Ashli Babbitt, and many people on the other side of political spectrum who have had their deaths politicised. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

17 hours ago, OverSword said:

No, I clearly wondered if her family will get a copy of the report. It’s not clear why someone hanging half in and half out was a deadly and immediate threat to anyone. Maybe they can explain that in the report. 

You're actually serious aren't you? 

It's in court. The family is demanding release and has a ten million plus lawsuit in the works. Not ghouls or anything I assume, just using the death for monetary gain. It seems very likely that they will get the report. 

Storm the Capitol. What could possibly go wrong? You gun nuts are real hypocrites. If a stranger was halfway through your window I suppose you would ask of they wanted a drink or something? Maybe chat about the weather?

Are you really that thick or are you just winding me up again? Seriously.

36 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

You're actually serious aren't you? 

It's in court. The family is demanding release and has a ten million plus lawsuit in the works. Not ghouls or anything I assume, just using the death for monetary gain. It seems very likely that they will get the report. 

Storm the Capitol. What could possibly go wrong? You gun nuts are real hypocrites. If a stranger was halfway through your window I suppose you would ask of they wanted a drink or something? Maybe chat about the weather?

Are you really that thick or are you just winding me up again? Seriously.

Videos show that the Capitol police were directly in front of the door she was shot at and they stepped aside just prior to the shooting and the Capitol police were on the stairs directly behind those who were trying to breach the door.

In what alternate reality was the shooting justified when LE were on both sides of the protestors?

The simple fact that other LEO were in the line of fire makes this an error in judgement by the officer discharging his weapon and against the vast majority of LE rules of engagement across the U.S.

In no way can this be considered justified. Especially when a taser would have accomplished the same outcome in regards to suppressing the breach.

I have no expectations of convincing you or anyone else that this was a bad shoot, but that is exactly what it was.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Buzz_Light_Year said:

Videos show that the Capitol police were directly in front of the door she was shot at and they stepped aside just prior to the shooting and the Capitol police were on the stairs directly behind those who were trying to breach the door.

In what alternate reality was the shooting justified when LE were on both sides of the protestors?

The simple fact that other LEO were in the line of fire makes this an error in judgement by the officer discharging his weapon and against the vast majority of LE rules of engagement across the U.S.

In no way can this be considered justified. Especially when a taser would have accomplished the same outcome in regards to suppressing the breach.

I have no expectations of convincing you or anyone else that this was a bad shoot, but that is exactly what it was.

No alternate reality this one is where the case was heard and the officer exhonerated. Check the links. Can you illustrate how you are better qualified and had better access to evidence than those who made that decision?

OS wondered if the family would get the report. It seems they will as they have engaged an attorney to pursue the very outcome. They were told they would get it, but did not. Now there seems little the police can do but hand it over as I understand. The family are also pursuing over ten million in compensation.

You also seem to have missed the Ma'Khia Bryant memo. Tasers are completely useless and in a situation where things are acting fast, the only option is to kill, so I'm told. That applies to all people I assume? Surely you know about this. Apparently your police don't trust them at all. 

Edited by psyche101
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, psyche101 said:

No alternate reality this one is where the case was heard and the officer exhonerated. Check the links. Can you illustrate how you are better qualified and had better access to evidence than those who made that decision?

OS wondered if the family would get the report. It seems they will as they have engaged an attorney to pursue the very outcome. They were told they would get it, but did not. Now there seems little the police can do but hand it over as I understand. The family are also pursuing over ten million in compensation.

You also seem to have missed the Ma'Khia Bryant memo. Tasers are completely useless and in a situation where things are acting fast, the only option is to kill, so I'm told. That applies to all people I assume? Surely you know about this. Apparently your police don't trust them at all. 

The officer’s actions were consistent with the officer’s training and USCP policies and procedures,” the agency continued.

That statement is 99% consistent with all officer involved shootings regardless of jurisdiction until that is, the facts say otherwise. I'm content to wait until the civil suit runs its course to determine whether that is the case or not.

I'm not defending the protestors actions but I am calling into question the actions of the Capitol police that day as I have already stated in a previous post. Not to mention the BLM agitator John Sullivan the founder of InsurgenceUSA who was at the door along with Babbitt and others. Oh and he's not a Trump supporter. (They call that a clue)

As far as tasers go, yes they would've have been highly effective in this case as there was still a physical barrier between the shooter and Babbitt. Heck the officer could've just used his fist to knock her back.

Basically you are going to see what you want to see and I'll see what I want. Doesn't make either of us wrong nor does it make either of us right.

On 8/23/2021 at 12:21 PM, OverSword said:

Link

Cause of death: "Joined a death cult and paid the cost"

• Like 1
  • Sad 1