Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Capitol Police officer who shot Ashli Babbitt formally exonerated

OverSword

7 hours ago, psyche101 said:

Not ghouls or anything I assume, just using the death for monetary gain.

Is that what you think of the Sandy Hook parents as well?

• Like 3
  • Confused 2

On 8/23/2021 at 8:07 PM, psyche101 said:

I feel sorry for her family too. Not only have they lost a loved one, but they have to live with how stupid her actions were and how those actions cost her life, causing many personal grief. She has left a dubious legacy. Not something to be remember proudly after doing the right thing and defending her nation. It is sad how she let herself down more than anything.

I would like to see you say that to her family.  Truly I would.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/23/2021 at 8:55 PM, Gromdor said:

I think there was no protests because deep down everyone knew it was justified

Justified shooting someone who is hanging half in and half out of a window?  Alrighty then. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

On 8/23/2021 at 10:36 PM, Golden Duck said:

Candace Owens described Babbitt's actions as trespassing and said the shooting wasn't justified.

So shooting isn't justified in the case of trespassing, right?  Seems reasonable, right?

Candace Owens is right, right?

First, trespassing on public property not someone's home and second, it did not deter people from coming into the building.  

• Haha 1

On 8/23/2021 at 10:57 PM, toast said:

On the one hand US gun nuts insist on their right to shoot anyone who trespasses unauthorized in their garden

Wrong.  You are not allowed to shoot people who are outside your home.  If anyone breaks into your house then you can shoot them.  You probably shouldn't be shot for trespassing on public property unless you are armed and present a clear danger to the person that shot you or someone they are defending.  I don't feel that was the case here as the cop had multiple other options.  

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Paranoid Android said:

The vast vast vast majority of the time, if a person is shot by law enforcement, they have left law enforcement no option but to do that. That applies to Ashli Babbitt, and many people on the other side of political spectrum who have had their deaths politicised. 

Since hundreds of protesters were in fact, in the building, what makes you say there was no other option?  Seems to me there were several.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Wrong.  You are not allowed to shoot people who are outside your home.  If anyone breaks into your house then you can shoot them.  You probably shouldn't be shot for trespassing on public property unless you are armed and present a clear danger to the person that shot you.  I don't feel that was the case here as the cop had multiple other options.  

Lots of other people he could have shot?

If one is defending Congressmen behind him, then the best place to do it is at an obstruction, like the doors.  This blurs the line between arresting bad guys and defending someone, which is more of a military tactic than a police one.

That one shot sure took the steam out of the assault, though.  Probably saved some Congressional lives.

Doug

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Doug1066 said:

Lots of other people he could have shot?

If one is defending Congressmen behind him, then the best place to do it is at an obstruction, like the doors.  This blurs the line between arresting bad guys and defending someone, which is more of a military tactic than a police one.

That one shot sure took the steam out of the assault, though.  Probably saved some Congressional lives.

Doug

So there weren't hundreds of people in the capital building?  Should they have shot a whole bunch more people too?  Why?  Why not?  Despite there being hundreds of citizen protesters in the building how many politicians got hurt?  I'm thinking that the death of this woman accomplished zero in the big picture except ensure she didn't have any more sleepless nights from the PTSD she had from serving our country overseas.

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, OverSword said:

So there weren't hundreds of people in the capital building?  Should they have shot a whole bunch more people too?  Why?  Why not?  Despite there being hundreds of citizen protesters in the building how many politicians got hurt?  I'm thinking that the death of this woman accomplished zero in the big picture except ensure she didn't have any more sleepless nights from the PTSD she had from serving our country overseas.

How many were in the hallway at the time of the shooting?  All were potential targets, but only one was climbing through the window.

It was not necessary to shoot more.  The one shot did its job.  Although, if it had been me, I might have taken out a second one in the instance where the cop was being crushed between the door and the frame.  I don't really know.  I wasn't there.

These were not protestors.  They came for the purpose of interfering with the work of the Congress and to kill Congressmen.  This was not a peaceful protest under the First Amendment.  It was an armed insurrection.  I think the insurrectionists were lucky.  Had the Army come in, there would likely have been a blood bath.  That is something they need to consider in case they decide to try something like this again.

Could the mob have been turned back without shooting anyone?  Again, I wasn't there; I don't know.

Doug

Edited by Doug1066
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Doug1066 said:

The one shot did its job. 

Which was?

6 minutes ago, Doug1066 said:

It was an armed insurrection.

She was armed?  I guess I missed that part.

7 minutes ago, Doug1066 said:

Could the mob have been turned back without shooting anyone? 

Was the mob turned back?

Just now, OverSword said:

Which was?

To stop the mob from reaching the Congressmen.

1 minute ago, OverSword said:

She was armed?  I guess I missed that part.

Quite a few were.  That idiot from Gravette, Arkansas who had himself photographed while wearing a taser and sitting in Nancy Pelosi's chair was definitely armed (Tasers are a deadly weapon.).  Flag poles were used to beat police and a fire extinguisher was used to kill a cop.  Yes.  They were armed.

And if your life is threatened by a group/mob, you can shoot to defend yourself and your target need not have a weapon.

5 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Was the mob turned back?

Yes.  After the shooting, the group in the hall where it happened backed off immediately.  As the word spread that police would shoot, most others started to withdraw back to the street.

I don't think that many of these folks realized they were committing a felony and that their actions constituted rebellion against the United States.  They just got caught up in the moment and went about smashing and stealing stuff and killing police and each other.  All without thought as to what they were doing.

There have been about 570 arrests so far with more to come.  Most will probably get short sentences and/or fines, public service and restitution.  A few could get 20+ years.  I don't feel sorry for them.  They brought it on themselves.

I'm guessing that those militia groups are being infiltrated by the FBI, probably as we speak.  I heard that the bunch in Michigan who planned to murder the governor had more informants than regular members.  Many of those militia members could be arrested on weapons charges.  I expect we're going to see that in the coming months.

It's turning out that many of the insurrectionists were wanted for other crimes and/or had previous criminal records.  There may have been some "ordinary citizens" in the mix, but most weren't the most-savory of our citizens.

Doug

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Doug1066 said:

Yes.  After the shooting, the group in the hall where it happened backed off immediately.  As the word spread that police would shoot, most others started to withdraw back to the street.

You are wrong. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_the_2021_United_States_Capitol_attack The initial breach, the shooting of Ashley Babbit, and the clearing of the building are all hours apart from each other.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, OverSword said:

You are wrong. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_the_2021_United_States_Capitol_attack The initial breach, the shooting of Ashley Babbit, and the clearing of the building are all hours apart from each other.

I didn't say they all happened at the same time.

There's a video of the confrontation with Ashli Babbitt.  The crowd did back off immediately.

And while some did withdraw to the street, there were many who didn't get the word.

Also, a building can be completely empty and still not cleared.  To clear it, someone has to go to each room and look.

Doug

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Doug1066 said:

I didn't say they all happened at the same time.

There's a video of the confrontation with Ashli Babbitt.  The crowd did back off immediately.

And while some did withdraw to the street, there were many who didn't get the word.

Also, a building can be completely empty and still not cleared.  To clear it, someone has to go to each room and look.

Doug

So in effect shooting her did not clear the building and there is no reason to believe that her death saved any senators or congressmen is how it seems to me.  I don't blame the cop for being afraid but his shooting probably made zero difference to the big picture that day unless you count to him, to Ashli Babbitt, and to her family.  To believe her death helped anyone would be a shame and not true. Peace.

Edited by OverSword

The crowd backed off immediately following the shooting.  That probably saved some Congressmen.  Are you saying the cop should have let them in?

Clearing the building is a separate issue.

Doug

Love how quickly peopled defend a white woman and wonder how quickly the same defense would've come for a black man,........my guess is fox would have immediately dug into their past and shown they were once convicted of having a joint or something. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Doug1066 said:

The crowd backed off immediately following the shooting.  That probably saved some Congressmen.  Are you saying the cop should have let them in?

Clearing the building is a separate issue.

Doug

Why do you think that saved anyone?  Hundreds of people were in the building before and after that, deep in the building, and not one congressperson or senator were hurt.  

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Robotic Jew said:

Love how quickly peopled defend a white woman and wonder how quickly the same defense would've come for a black man,........my guess is fox would have immediately dug into their past and shown they were once convicted of having a joint or something. 

The usual shout of racism to try to guilt people out of talking.  :rolleyes:  Well you're wrong.  As a matter of fact I'm pretty sure if it was a person of color that got shot leaning in a window you would be persecuting the cop and so would I.

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, Robotic Jew said:

You don't see your hypocrisy?  How would CNN handle this differently if it were a black man?   

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Why do you think that saved anyone?  Hundreds of people were in the building before and after that, deep in the building, and not one congressperson or senator were hurt.  

https://www.yahoo.com/news/column-ashli-babbitt-not-peaceful-222655301.html

Most, if not all, of those Congress people were hiding in safe rooms.  When a crowd is chanting "Hang Pelosi!  Hang Pence!" Pelosi and Pence would be wise to take them at their word.

Doug

Edited by Doug1066

11 minutes ago, Doug1066 said:

That probably saved some Congressmen. 

Maybe, but maybe not.   Would you say killing George Floyd probably saved some pregnant women from being robbed at gunpoint?

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Doug1066 said:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/column-ashli-babbitt-not-peaceful-222655301.html

Most of those Congress people were hiding in safe rooms.  When a crowd is chanting "Hang Pelosi!  Hang Pence!" Pelosi and Pence would be wise to take them at their word.

Doug

Were in safe rooms.  There you go.  You think this was a good murder that saved the day and I don't.  We will have to agree to disagree. 

Edited by OverSword

4 minutes ago, acidhead said:

The officer who shot Babbitt is going to be interviewed on NBC tomorrow

Can hardly wait.  I'll make a prediction. At some point near the beginning the interviewer will give him their sympathy.  I too give him my sympathy.  He'll probably see Ashli's face every time he closes his eyes to sleep for the rest of his life.

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 1