Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

G-7 leaders say Taliban is responsible for stability of Afghanistan

OverSword

Doesn't this in effect legitimize the Taliban?

Leaders of the nations included in the Group of Seven (G-7) on Tuesday said the Taliban is responsible for preventing terrorism, respecting human rights and working toward a peaceful solution in Afghanistan.

The leaders made the statement in a joint release, marking the first time the international community has recognized the insurgent, Islamic fundamentalist group. 

The G-7 statement came following an emergency meeting convened by the United Kingdom and is part of an effort to unite allies on global strategy toward Afghanistan.

The meeting also came amid increasing tension between international allies and President Biden, who has doubled down on completing U.S. military evacuations by Aug. 31. 

The joint statement sought to project unity among leaders of the G-7, a grouping of the most advanced economies in the world, comprising the U.S., Canada, U.K., France, Germany, Italy and Japan. Top officials from the European Union and NATO also joined the meeting. 

Link

• Haha 1

I don't imagine they will be forced into compliance on any issue.  They are already killing people as casually as they did in 2001.  Those who doubt that have only to wait until Biden cuts and runs on 8/31.  Foreign media will be expelled and then the real bloodletting will commence.  I'm still staggered that his handlers are refusing to extend the time for extracting our people and our allies.  He/they are literally sentencing thousands to death or life as hostages while deals are made in the dark to get them released.  I no longer imagine he or they actually CARE about the individuals but it does surprise me that he seems to be unconcerned with the certain political damage that will follow this.  If they can't ram HR1 through before the next election, they will lose power in a big way.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Link

in a business world it is called transfer of liability. the west washed their hands and whatever happens now in on Taliban. classical CYA

Edited by aztek
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, and then said:

I'm still staggered that his handlers are refusing to extend the time for extracting our people and our allies.

Assuming the US has a say in that, unless they want to re-invade and take over the entire country again.  This time our soldiers could be killed by the army we trained :tu:  What a Cluster Frak.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Assuming the US has a say in that, unless they want to re-invade and take over the entire country again.  This time our soldiers could be killed by the army we trained :tu:  What a Cluster Frak.

Hi OverSword

I was under the impression that the Taliban and the Afgan army were separate entities and that your military trained their govt forces?

30 minutes ago, closed for business said:

Hi OverSword

I was under the impression that the Taliban and the Afgan army were separate entities and that your military trained their govt forces?

And the ones that didn't join the Taliban (precious few I'm guessing) had their weapons confiscated.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, OverSword said:

And the ones that didn't join the Taliban (precious few I'm guessing) had their weapons confiscated.

Hi OverSword

Thanks for explaining your perspective

• Like 2

2 hours ago, OverSword said:

Link

IIRC Afghanistan were the originals on the WTO Least Developed Countries list.  On the journey to maturity of governance this is equivalent of potty training.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OverSword said:

It IS that...  Our choice seems to be to re-take Bagram and fly sufficient forces back in to defend a large enough perimeter to begin using our drones, fixed and rotary wing assets to deracinate them wherever they stand to fight.  And then get our people and allies out.  Perhaps, THAT is goal none of us have been able to imagine they were working toward?  A Re-invasion?