Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

U.S. officials provided Taliban with names of Americans, Afghan allies to evacuate

Vorg

I just found this article. Yes, ISIS considers the Taliban as an enemy too and says Afghanistan will remain contested.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/isisk-afghanistan-bombing/2021/08/26/436a65fc-06a6-11ec-ba15-9c4f59a60478_story.html

With its signature blend of complexity and cruelty, the attack was seen by many observers as a reminder to both the Americans and the Taliban that, no matter who was in the presidential palace, Afghanistan would remain contested.

The group’s rivalry with the Taliban is a microcosm of the competition between al-Qaeda and its more radical spinoff, the Islamic State, analysts say. There are generational and doctrinal splits between the groups, with the Islamic State brand more popular with militants in recent years because it managed to capture territory and create a short-lived extremist fiefdom that spanned Iraq and Syria.

In Afghanistan, with the U.S.-backed government gone from power, ISIS-K can now focus on undermining its other local enemy, the Taliban, which analysts said will be hard-pressed to stave off attacks as it struggles to secure and govern a war-weary nation.

In the hours before the attack, U.S. and Western governments warned of a specific threat related to ISIS-K and urged people to stay away from the airport. But the crowds returned Thursday, taking their chances before the evacuation window closed for good.

“An attack was said to be imminent and has now taken place,” tweeted Rita Katz, director of the SITE Intelligence Group, a terrorism-monitoring outfit that translated the ISIS-K statement. “Sadly, despite this intel, the attackers were still able to infiltrate.”

Edited by susieice
  • Like 1

https://www.reuters.com/world/islamic-state-claims-responsibility-kabul-airport-attack-2021-08-26/

In claiming responsibility, Islamic State said a suicide bomber "managed to reach a large gathering of translators and collaborators with the American army at 'Baran Camp' near Kabul Airport and detonated his explosive belt among them, killing about 60 people and wounding more than 100 others, including Taliban fighters."

A Taliban official told Reuters the group arrested an ISIS fighter at the airport a few days ago and under interrogation he told them about plans for attacks. In response, the Taliban said it postponed gatherings in public places and advised its top leaders not to gather.

ISIS-K is a sworn enemy of the Taliban. But U.S. intelligence officials believe the movement used the instability that led to the collapse of Afghanistan's Western-backed government this month to strengthen its position and step up recruitment of disenfranchised Taliban members.

Independent U.N. experts had already told the Security Council in a report published last month that ISIS-Khorasan had expanded its presence to several provinces, including Kabul, and that fighters had formed sleeper cells.

"The group has strengthened its positions in and around Kabul, where it conducts most of its attacks, targeting minorities, activists, government employees and personnel of the Afghan National Defence and Security Forces," the report said.

Edited by susieice

12 minutes ago, susieice said:

With its signature blend of complexity and cruelty, the attack was seen by many observers as a reminder to both the Americans and the Taliban that, no matter who was in the presidential palace, Afghanistan would remain contested.

Hi Susieice

Will be interesting if they ask for help to maintain control of the country

• Like 1

Just now, closed for business said:

Hi Susieice

Will be interesting if they ask for help to maintain control of the country

I was thinking that too. It seems the Taliban is afraid of these ISIS fighters. It doesn't sound like the poor people of Afghanistan will see any peace even after we leave. It's a shame but all these warring factions are what makes up the Middle East. It's never ending and really, a hopeless cause.  It's always been like this.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, susieice said:

I was thinking that too. It seems the Taliban is afraid of these ISIS fighters. It doesn't sound like the poor people of Afghanistan will see any peace even after we leave. It's a shame but all these warring factions are what makes up the Middle East. It's never ending and really, a hopeless cause.  It's always been like this.

Hi Susieice

Yes and if they ask for help I am sure that they will have to make some concessions about freedoms for the people of the country like the treatment of women to get us in the door and keep us there as peace keepers. Who knows maybe an invitation is the best medicine.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, closed for business said:

Hi Susieice

Yes and if they ask for help I am sure that they will have to make some concessions about freedoms for the people of the country like the treatment of women to get us in the door and keep us there as peace keepers. Who knows maybe an invitation is the best medicine.

I'm a bit more of the opinion that we need to leave and stay gone. We're never going to stop this. Another 20 years wouldn't help. They still wouldn't want us there.

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

Despite all the finger pointing, history will remember that he ended a failure of a 20 year war. 

That's what matters here. And that why Biden will always be the better man.

Now that the Taliban are saying the world is next, it's everybody's problem. As it should be. The middle east theocracies are barbaric and outdated. Any theocracy is. Time to make the slowest minds in the world keep pace with the forerunners. Religion is a curse. Eradicate it with knowledge.

Get down here asap. We will ban any news media. Only music media allowed. Spring is ready to be embraced. We can ride motorbikes, watch live bands and drink too much. FTW.

...10 years later...

...in a world.............. where the Taliban rules...e v e r y t h i n g...and Theocracy exists as one eternal religion....where the followers live and the naysayers die...

...in a fox hole...somewhere in Queensland...the last bastion hold out for the freedom fighters on planet Earth against the Taliban....

joc:  so, uh, hey psyche...remember when you said Biden was the better man?...oh, btw...uh, we're out of beer!  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, joc said:

Huh, uh...you don't get to  play both sides of the card.  You wanted Trump out...so this is what you get.  Deal with it!  You don't get to Recall the President.  You had that chance when you sent in your early voting ballot....remember?

Trust me he isn't needed now or ever. Trumps withdrawal from Syria plainly show us all how he would have handled this situation. I honestly believe that if he was still President it would be no better or worst, Biden and Trump are both incompetent idiots. 

• Like 2

Just now, joc said:

...10 years later...

...in a world.............. where the Taliban rules...e v e r y t h i n g...and Theocracy exists as one eternal religion....where the followers live and the naysayers die...

...in a fox hole...somewhere in Queensland...the last bastion hold out for the freedom fighters on planet Earth against the Taliban....

With Joc and psyche having a jam surrounded by empty bottles.

Just now, joc said:

joc:  so, uh, hey psyche...remember when you said Biden was the better man?...oh, btw...uh, we're out of beer!  

Who the hell is Biden.

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, susieice said:

I'm a bit more of the opinion that we need to leave and stay gone. We're never going to stop this. Another 20 years wouldn't help. They still wouldn't want us there.

Hi Susieice

I don't know but what I do know is that Canada had a presence in Cypress for quite some time and would be more optimistic about going in by invitation if it helped the majority of Afghanis that weren't radical.

https://www.veterans.gc.ca/pdf/cr/pi-sheets/cyprus_e.pdf

THE CANADIAN ARMED FORCES IN CYPRUS e peacekeeping operation in Cyprus, from 1964 to today, is one of Canada's longest and best-known overseas military commitments. A large Canadian contingent served on the island from 1964 to 1993, and a small Canadian Armed Forces presence remains there today as United Nations (UN) peace eorts continue. In total, more than 25,000 Canadian Armed Forces members have served in Cyprus over the decades. Many of them served in Cyprus more than once, participating in several rotations. e length of the mission and the large number of Canadians who have served in Cyprus over the years makes it a well-known eort to many of us. Like Veterans of the First and Second World Wars and the Korean War, the men and women who willingly left their homes and travelled halfway around the world to serve in a tense and violent place like Cyprus are Canadians who achieved and sacriced much to protect peace and freedom

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Manwon Lender said:

Trust me he isn't needed now or ever. Trumps withdrawal from Syria plainly show us all how he would have handled this situation. I honestly believe that if he was still President it would be no better or worst, Biden and Trump are both incompetent idiots. 

Don't quit  your day job.  I'm probably one of the precious few who think you are a great comedian! :D

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

With Joc and psyche having a jam surrounded by empty bottles.

Who the hell is Biden.

:lol::sk

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, joc said:

Don't quit  your day job.  I'm probably one of the precious few who think you are a great comedian! :D

Oh I am certainly not a comedian, but my comments were right on target sorry if that hurts you popular beliefs in President Dump!:lol:

if you like I will send you a roll:D

804B129F-43DB-45AF-BC5A-5B6664CB3DFA-2173-000003A4B43BD279.jpg

0A1FEC17-9CFB-4E2E-BFB9-84DFC4EC45E0-2173-000003A4DF2B6002.jpg

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, susieice said:

You are right Susieice, and if your Christian it will not end until the final battle of Armageddon near the city of Megiddo. 

Edited by Manwon Lender
  • Like 2