Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Berezow: 'we will never meet intelligent aliens'

UM-Bot

There must be life on other planets among the millions of stars , but we shall probably never know as it will not exist in human form as our planet is unique . The atmosphere's cannot be identical to us , therefor they would have evolved differently . Their communication systems will be different , for example :- if dinosaurs were the dominant species ,could we communicate with them , and without some form of "hands" they could not begin to build anything , as we are able to do. As far as visiting other planets it's not possible unless we have the means to survive the impossibly long journey's , which would take hundreds/thousands of man years . and once we got there could we survive their atmosphere's . The same applies in reverse if aliens ever visited us .  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mr Walker said:

The argument was that  all other species on other planets would be like humans ie warlike and likely to destroy themselves and THATS why none advanced enough to ever visit us. 

My point was that this  may be a false assumption.

Humans are warlike for a variety of reasons.

Remove those reasons and we might all have got along fine.

This could also be normal on many other planets with intelligent life.

Ie there is no reason to assume they have all destroyed themselves when the y reached the technological abilty to do so,  and that is why we haven't had contact with them. 

Hi Walker

We can't change the past of evolution so we have to accept the physical differences but then most wars are about opposing ideologies and possessions

7 hours ago, jmccr8 said:

Hi Walker

We can't change the past of evolution so we have to accept the physical differences but then most wars are about opposing ideologies and possessions

In part true, and i did mention that my hypothetical  world had plenty of well distributed resources 

Different ideologies are less likely to evolve where there is only one language or one set of customs  That is more likely to occur where people are not separated  by water, mountains deserts  etc 

Evolution is a process dependent on environmental conditions 

While it will always occur, it may shape a  world ( including the people of that world ) in very different  ways given a different environment 

Because all self aware beings have a unique world view, it is possible that differing religions or ideologies MIGHT still evolve, but the more a group has in common, the more similar their world views,, and thus the less divergence of belief   or ideology.  There are societies where private ownership does not exist and all goods are held in common Especially where there is little wealth to inherit t or children are not seen as members  of a family but of the community.  In those societies wars over possessions are less common Why die for something you don't perceive as  exclusively your own ?

7 hours ago, spud the mackem said:

There must be life on other planets among the millions of stars , but we shall probably never know as it will not exist in human form as our planet is unique . The atmosphere's cannot be identical to us , therefor they would have evolved differently . Their communication systems will be different , for example :- if dinosaurs were the dominant species ,could we communicate with them , and without some form of "hands" they could not begin to build anything , as we are able to do. As far as visiting other planets it's not possible unless we have the means to survive the impossibly long journey's , which would take hundreds/thousands of man years . and once we got there could we survive their atmosphere's . The same applies in reverse if aliens ever visited us .  

A reasonable but pessimistic view 

It is also possible that some of the planets would have earthlike conditions

Intelligence may require  abilty to manipulate objects, as well as language 

Translation of language might be difficult but not impossible  with modern computers 

There are many diverse beliefs and groups on earth which would prepare us for understanding the diversity  on other planets 

Ps it once took 6 months to get from Britain to Australia by ship (much longer if you tried to walk it ) :)   Now we can do it in less than 24 hours 

Distance is relative, and dependent on speed of travel and technology The first voyage to another solar system might be like Columbus or the Vikings voyages to America, but, eventually, it would be like travel between Europe and the Americas, today. 

15 hours ago, Golden Duck said:

A wether can not breed; so, wether patterns would hinder ovine evolution.

Ewe said  It. Now I feel sheepish, like a lamb to the slaughter.

No need to ram it home 

Ps Spelling online is in generally  so bad, that I didn't get  your deliberate  pun.

It fleeced me entirely.

You pulled the wool over my eyes.  :) 

Oy vey,  ovine, indeed.  

Edited by Mr Walker

On 8/29/2021 at 7:36 AM, Nobu said:

I say this in a non arrogant as possible way….. I’m not sure many people in this forum understand the vastness of space…. Nor do the really get what would happen to a “ship” that hit a pebble at .05 the speed of light.

I’m not sure people really get the vastness of a measure called “time”

Space is really really big people.

no one will read what I just typed and get it. Did the tree fall in the forest if noone heard it?

• Thanks 2