Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

China restricts video game time for those under 18 to 1 hour a day on weekends

spartan max2

17 minutes ago, OverSword said:

You didn't post a link but I found the article.  The article without one link to a study or any other reference outside the authors opinion and also verified that most gaming is done on mobile devices.

Here is something the author completely overlooked.  If you could buy pirated or underground gaming consoles on the internet in China the government would know.  Their internet is a closed system available only in China and heavily censored and monitored.  If someone bought something illegal over there on the web then the government knows and know who sold it as well.  Also your article specifically says the gaming consoles available there are regionally locked and that article is also three years old. 

But Whatever, have it your way, this is unenforceable and nearly impossible for the Chinese government to monitor.  If that's what you believe then it's what you believe.

I dont consider it nearly impossible. I'd rather wait and see what unfolds. I do believe gamers will find (or try) alternative ways to keep playing. If you believe every gamer (and parent) will obey rule (another obnoxious invasion of privacy) 100% that's fine.

Edited by Bed of chaos
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bed of chaos said:

I dont consider it nearly impossible. I'd rather wait and see what unfolds. I do believe gamers will find (or try) alternative ways to keep playing. If you believe every gamer (and parent) will obey rule 100% that's fine.

If you think parents will allow their kids to risk their social score for a video game you're nuts.

2 minutes ago, OverSword said:

If you think parents will allow their kids to risk their social score for a video game you're nuts.

Dude, you're blowing this out of proportion. With young kids playing mobile games? Yes, I believe parents will monitor. Probably obey rules. Again, with teenagers (older gamers) I dont have a crystal ball but assume they'll look for loopholes.

15 minutes ago, Bed of chaos said:

I dont consider it nearly impossible. I'd rather wait and see what unfolds. I do believe gamers will find (or try) alternative ways to keep playing. If you believe every gamer (and parent) will obey rule (another obnoxious invasion of privacy) 100% that's fine.

I had trouble seeing how they would enforce it until reading the other article I posted.

If every game requires you to sign up on an account using your real name and say (China's version of a social security number) than it would make it harder to lie about. Unless you used someone else's number.

I'm sure people would still find ways in. But that could effectively cut down on alot of game time across the populace.

Like game companies already track individual accounts play times. Would be easy to cut off connection.

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 1

I feel like video game playing is healthy for kids.

I imagine a fascination with it has led many people to become software or robotics engineers, an interest in technology.

• Like 1

Just now, spartan max2 said:

I feel like video game playing is healthy for kids.

in general , without abusing it, maybe, playing 5 hours straight everyday is extremely dangerous for mental as well as physical health.  i see plenty of examples, i have 2 kids who are old enough to play, and 3rd will be in a year or two.  i'm with ccp on it, video game time should be regulated, it should not be as long as kids want, unless you want to raise a deadbeat who'll live with you until 40

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, aztek said:

in general , without abusing it, maybe, playing 5 hours straight everyday is extremely dangerous for mental as well as physical health.  i see plenty of examples, i have 2 kids who are old enough to play, and 3rd will be in a year or two.  i'm with ccp on it, video game time should be regulated, it should not be as long as kids want, unless you want to raise a deadbeat who'll live with you until 40

It should be down to parents to enforce though, not governments.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Bed of chaos said:

Dude, you're blowing this out of proportion. With young kids playing mobile games? Yes, I believe parents will monitor. Probably obey rules. Again, with teenagers (older gamers) I dont have a crystal ball but assume they'll look for loopholes.

Not really blowing this out of proportion.  Imagine that you are involved in an activity that will damage your parents credit rating.  What would your parents do to you?  Now let's make an adjustment for the Chinese system.  What would your parents friends do to your parents if you negatively affecting your parents credit rating also negatively impacted their credit rating?  You would pretty much be dead meat.  Here lets take it a bit further.  This whole thing is to combat addiction.  In China they take addicts and put them in community rehabilitation camps until their addiction is defeated.  God only knows what happens if you relapse.  How many people without a real problem are going to risk being locked up in a mental institution with a bunch of recovering drug addicts just to play a video game?  

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, LV-426 said:

Welcome to China.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, aztek said:

My wife's family let them play unregulated.

Ones a successful engineer. One is an accountant. One has a engineer degree but can't get a job because he is a deadbeat.

Make of that what you will I guess haha

10 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

My wife's family let them play unregulated.

Ones a successful engineer. One is an accountant. One has a engineer degree but can't get a job because he is a deadbeat.

Make of that what you will I guess haha

A deadbeat that does what all day? :lol:  Guessing smokes pot and plays video games :tu:

3 hours ago, OverSword said:

Good point.  That will really lower the incentive for gaming companies outside China to cater to their market.

So what I'm hearing is video game developers will have less incentive to censor or change elements in their games to cater to the Chinese market  (which frequently effects even versions of games not sold in China)

I see that as a win.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, OverSword said:

Not really blowing this out of proportion.  Imagine that you are involved in an activity that will damage your parents credit rating.  What would your parents do to you?  Now let's make an adjustment for the Chinese system.  What would your parents friends do to your parents if you negatively affecting your parents credit rating also negatively impacted their credit rating?  You would pretty much be dead meat.  Here lets take it a bit further.  This whole thing is to combat addiction.  In China they take addicts and put them in community rehabilitation camps until their addiction is defeated.  God only knows what happens if you relapse.  How many people without a real problem are going to risk being locked up in a mental institution with a bunch of recovering drug addicts just to play a video 

If they throw millions of six year olds in concentration camps (for playing minecraft) I'll buy you a PS5!. As per SpartanMax "how bad do they want to devote to enforcing it".

With that said, again, i want to wait and see how this plays out. I'd like to hear opinions from Chinese gamers, opinions from video game industry (not with just consoles). More opinions from everyone (visiting ign next) To what extent they enforce it or if there's alternate ways around it.

Edited by Bed of chaos
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, Bed of chaos said:

If they throw millions of six year olds in concentration camps (for playing minecraft) I'll buy you a PS5!. As per SpartanMax "how bad do they want to devote to enforcing it".

Six year old's isn't much of a concern as it will be easy to lock them out for parents, it's 12 to 18 that would be harder to stop.  And if you think the Chinese government cares about age:

You are talking about a regime that charges families for the bullet when a relative is executed.  True story bro.  

12 hours ago, Bed of chaos said:

With that said, again, i want to wait and see how this plays out. I'd like to hear opinions from Chinese gamers, opinions from video game industry (not with just consoles). More opinions from everyone (visiting ign next) To what extent they enforce it or if there's alternate ways around it.

You won't hear anything except what a great idea this is.  Didn't you know?  The CPP is the greatest thing ever :tu:

4 hours ago, spartan max2 said:

I found some info on how they plan to enforce.

Basically the same way the CCP tries to enforce all things, by forcing private companies to do it on their behalf or else be punished.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/paultassi/2021/08/30/china-now-limiting-video-game-play-to-just-three-hours-a-week-for-minors/

I would've guess a regional firmware with fixed parental controls.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Golden Duck said:

I would've guess a regional firmware with fixed parental controls.

Would a VPN get out of that?

Just now, spartan max2 said:

Would a VPN get out of that?

Parental controls are part of the system software aren't they?  For consoles you could implement import prohibitions.

"Cinderella Law"

12 Jun 1996 — Funny how adults and teenagers might disagree on Florida's new “Cinderella” law, a measure limiting the nighttime hours when 16- and...

~
4 Jun 2014 — A so-called "Cinderella law" making it illegal to emotionally abuse children has been promised by the government in the Queen's speech....

~

The Youth Protection Revision Act, commonly known as the Shutdown Law or Cinderella Law, was an act of the South Korean National Assembly which...

~
24 Sep 2018 — Prevent Internet and Gaming Addiction: Should Every Country Adopt a Cinderella Law? ... In 2011, South Korea passed a law that...

~

Business as usual...

~

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, LV-426 said:

yes, it should, but if they all did, maybe then ccp would have no reason to get involved.   i agree that game time must be regulated, because lots of kids can not. it is a real addiction, 

15 hours ago, third_eye said:

"Cinderella Law"

Business as usual...

~

A bit of a false equivalency don't you think?  

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, OverSword said:

A bit of a false equivalency don't you think?  

Why do you care? You're not even aware you were spinning from the false premise... as if you understand what you are trying to think up about. 

~

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

Last night I was watching a BBC report about this story.  The way they will enforce is you must use facial recognition to play a game, at certain hours it will prompt you to ID yourself through facial recognition, if you fail to do so or if you are identified as a minor it will boot you off for a period of time.

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Last night I was watching a BBS report about this story.  The way they will enforce is you must use facial recognition to play a game, at certain hours it will prompt you to ID yourself through facial recognition, if you fail to do so or if you are identified as a minor it will boot you off for a period of time.

Yeah, "BBS" has a way with stories like that... 

~

19 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Last night I was watching a BBS report about this story.  The way they will enforce is you must use facial recognition to play a game, at certain hours it will prompt you to ID yourself through facial recognition, if you fail to do so or if you are identified as a minor it will boot you off for a period of time.

Yeah the tech exist to enforce something like this.

Its just that people have trouble imagining it being used that way because we live in first world democratic societies. 

But the CCP has the totalitarian power to do it 

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 1