Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The mystery fever that's killed dozens of children

Grim Reaper 6

For more than a week now, children in some districts in the northern Indian state of Uttar Pradesh have been waking up with a high fever and drenched in sweat. Many of them complained of joint pains, headaches, dehydration and nausea. In some cases, they reported rashes spreading across legs and arms.

At least 50 people, mostly children, have died of the fever, and several hundred have been admitted to hospital in six districts in the eastern part of the state. None of the dead tested positive for Covid-19.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/the-mystery-fever-thats-killed-dozens-of-children/ar-AANX6Ct

• Confused 1
  • Sad 5

Dengue Fever

Dengue fever is also known as breakbone fever because it is said to feel like your bones and joints are breaking. It is carried by the Aedes mosquito (the same breed that causes yellow fever). Symptoms include a high fever, severe headache, backache, joint pains, nausea and vomiting, eye pain and a rash. Word on the street about dengue fever was that it wouldn’t kill you, but you wished it would.
https://www.aapc.com/blog/26557-wwii-military-health-in-the-pacific/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Ell said:

Thank you very much for your post, however at this time it appears this may be a new pathogen and if that is the case this could only be the beginning!:yes:

13 hours ago, Manwon Lender said:

For more than a week now, children in some districts in the northern Indian state of Uttar Pradesh have been waking up with a high fever and drenched in sweat. Many of them complained of joint pains, headaches, dehydration and nausea. In some cases, they reported rashes spreading across legs and arms.

At least 50 people, mostly children, have died of the fever, and several hundred have been admitted to hospital in six districts in the eastern part of the state. None of the dead tested positive for Covid-19.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/the-mystery-fever-thats-killed-dozens-of-children/ar-AANX6Ct

This reminds me of something that happened in 2019 in the U.S.   Or maybe it was 2020.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Desertrat56 said:

This reminds me of something that happened in 2019 in the U.S.   Or maybe it was 2020.

I will try to post an update once they figure out what is causing this, I don't remember it happening in the US but I have been outside the country for awhile. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Manwon Lender said:

I will try to post an update once they figure out what is causing this, I don't remember it happening in the US but I have been outside the country for awhile. 

I have a vague memory of children being taken to the hospital with a high fever and rash.   I will see if I can find something on it.

• Like 1

I found this:  https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/05/nyregion/children-Kawasaki-syndrome-coronavirus.html

15 children are hospitalized with mysterious illness possibly tied to covid.     May 5, 2020 NY Times  but you can't read it without a subscription.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

I found this:  https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/05/nyregion/children-Kawasaki-syndrome-coronavirus.html

15 children are hospitalized with mysterious illness possibly tied to covid.     May 5, 2020 NY Times  but you can't read it without a subscription.

Here you go, for some reason it allowed me to access the article this is what I found. It does sound similar, but this outbreak in India, says that everyone was tested for Covid and all tests were negative, but it did not say if they were know to have had it before. 

Fifteen children, many of whom had the coronavirus, have recently been hospitalized in New York City with a mysterious syndrome that doctors do not yet fully understand but that has also been reported in several European countries, health officials announced on Monday night.

Many of the children, ages 2 to 15, have shown symptomsassociated with toxic shock or Kawasaki disease, a rare illness in children that involves inflammation of the blood vessels, including coronary arteries, the city’s health department said.

None of the New York City patients with the syndrome have died, according to a bulletin from the health department, which describes the illness as a “multisystem inflo,ammatory syndrome potentially associated with Covid-19.”

Reached late Monday night, the state health commissioner, Dr. Howard A. Zucker, said state officials were also investigating the unexplained syndrome.

The bulletin said that most of the 15 children had a fever and many had a rash, vomiting or diarrhea. Since being hospitalized, five of them have needed a mechanical ventilator to help them breathe, and most of the 15 “required blood pressure support.”

“The full spectrum of disease is not yet known,” the bulletin said. Of the 15 patients, most either tested positive for the coronavirus or were found, through antibody testing, to likely have been previously infected.

The city’s health commissioner, Dr. Oxiris Barbot, said in a statement: “Even though the relationship of this syndrome to Covid-19 is not yet defined, and not all of these cases have tested positive for Covid-19 by either DNA test or serology, the clinical nature of this virus is such that we are asking all providers to contact us immediately if they see patients who meet the criteria we’ve outlined.”

“And to parents,” she added, “if your child has symptoms like fever, rash, abdominal pain or vomiting, call your doctor right away.”

Conjunctivitis, or inflammation of the eye, and swollen lymph nodes are also symptoms of Kawasaki disease.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

Here you go, for some reason it allowed me to access the article this is what I found. It does sound similar, but this outbreak in India, says that everyone was tested for Covid and all tests were negative, but it did not say if they were know to have had it before. 

Fifteen children, many of whom had the coronavirus, have recently been hospitalized in New York City with a mysterious syndrome that doctors do not yet fully understand but that has also been reported in several European countries, health officials announced on Monday night.

Many of the children, ages 2 to 15, have shown symptomsassociated with toxic shock or Kawasaki disease, a rare illness in children that involves inflammation of the blood vessels, including coronary arteries, the city’s health department said.

None of the New York City patients with the syndrome have died, according to a bulletin from the health department, which describes the illness as a “multisystem inflo,ammatory syndrome potentially associated with Covid-19.”

Reached late Monday night, the state health commissioner, Dr. Howard A. Zucker, said state officials were also investigating the unexplained syndrome.

The bulletin said that most of the 15 children had a fever and many had a rash, vomiting or diarrhea. Since being hospitalized, five of them have needed a mechanical ventilator to help them breathe, and most of the 15 “required blood pressure support.”

“The full spectrum of disease is not yet known,” the bulletin said. Of the 15 patients, most either tested positive for the coronavirus or were found, through antibody testing, to likely have been previously infected.

The city’s health commissioner, Dr. Oxiris Barbot, said in a statement: “Even though the relationship of this syndrome to Covid-19 is not yet defined, and not all of these cases have tested positive for Covid-19 by either DNA test or serology, the clinical nature of this virus is such that we are asking all providers to contact us immediately if they see patients who meet the criteria we’ve outlined.”

“And to parents,” she added, “if your child has symptoms like fever, rash, abdominal pain or vomiting, call your doctor right away.”

Conjunctivitis, or inflammation of the eye, and swollen lymph nodes are also symptoms of Kawasaki disease.

Well, it did say "many of whom had the coronavirus", which means some of them did not.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

Well, it did say "many of whom had the coronavirus", which means some of them did not.

I hope this doesn't turn out to be a new Pathogen, especially since it appears to killing kids!:(

• Like 1

On 9/1/2021 at 4:40 PM, Manwon Lender said:

I hope this doesn't turn out to be a new Pathogen, especially since it appears to killing kids!:(

If it does , time to block travel from India.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, razman said:

If it does , time to block travel from India.

Dam straight my Brother, from India and any other countries that have that sickness present!

Peace

50 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

Dam straight my Brother, from India and any other countries that have that sickness present!

Peace

Well you gotta figure , much like covid , if you wait , it might be too late.

Edited by razman

Who and why is spreading all these viruses? 

Clearly there are interests in doing so.

4 hours ago, qxcontinuum said:

I believe it's pretty simple as far as who and why! Both China and India have large uninhabited areas with a great deal of biodiversity. Now over the last 20 or so years man has pushed into these areas, and come into contact with Pathogens that have existed for thousands of years in that biodiversity, but never came into contact with mankind until they were disturbed in their natural environments. 

I don't believe these situation are man made, they are in my opinion naturally occurring and never posed a threat until they were disturbed. As we push deeper into these areas, more and more Pathogens that may be dormant may be released again. We are destroying our planet, and maybe this is natures way of striking back!:yes:

JIMO

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, Manwon Lender said:

I believe it's pretty simple as far as who and why! Both China and India have large uninhabited areas with a great deal of biodiversity. Now over the last 20 or so years man has pushed into these areas, and come into contact with Pathogens that have existed for thousands of years in that biodiversity, but never came into contact with mankind until they were disturbed in their natural environments. 

I don't believe these situation are man made, they are in my opinion naturally occurring and never posed a threat until they were disturbed. As we push deeper into these areas, more and more Pathogens that may be dormant may be released again. We are destroying our planet, and maybe this is natures way of striking back!:yes:

JIMO

It's like valley fever, which is a fungus that gets in the lungs.  No one had it until people moved into certain areas of the South west U.S. and tried to make desert look like the east coast with lawns and shrubbery, etc.   Too much water and the fungus went rampant.  Scottsdale, AZ had an epidemic, and now that fungus is common everywhere in the South western desert states.  It affects humans and their pets.

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Desertrat56 said:

It's like valley fever, which is a fungus that gets in the lungs.  No one had it until people moved into certain areas of the South west U.S. and tried to make desert look like the east coast with lawns and shrubbery, etc.   Too much water and the fungus went rampant.  Scottsdale, AZ had an epidemic, and now that fungus is common everywhere in the South western desert states.  It affects humans and their pets.

That's exactly what happens when we encroach and attempt to twist and change the Biodiversity of areas. It's natures defence system, and what we are seeing right now with this Pandemic I am afraid is only the beginning my friend, in reality it us kind if scary. :huh:

• Like 1

On 9/2/2021 at 11:45 PM, qxcontinuum said:

That may be, but dengue fever has been around a VERY long time.  It sounds horribly painful but it also seems that it could be relatively easily beaten back by widespread use of insecticides.  Get rid of the mosquitos, and you get rid of the virus.