Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

'Majority' of Afghans who worked for the US and applied for visas were likely left behind, State Dep

Grim Reaper 6

The majority" of Afghans who worked for the United States during its two-decade military campaign were likely left behind in the chaotic and rushed evacuation from Afghanistan, a senior State Department official said Wednesday. The official said they did not have a specific count of the Afghan Special Immigrant (SIV) applicants and family members who did not make it onto evacuation flights, "but I would say it's the majority of them, just based on anecdotal information about the populations we were able to support."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/majority-of-afghans-who-worked-for-the-us-and-applied-for-visas-were-likely-left-behind-state-department-official-says/ar-AANZyAC

• Sad 4

3 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

Breaks my heart

Mine too my friend, mine too.:cry:

• Like 1

Political Cartoons by Michael Ramirez

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Manwon Lender said:

The majority" of Afghans who worked for the United States during its two-decade military campaign were likely left behind

Is there any estimate of how many people that would be?

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Tatetopa said:

I was wondering that too.

Since mass evacuations began on Aug. 14, the U.S. has helped evacuate approximately 116,700 people out of Afghanistan, according to the latest figures from the White House.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnbc.com/amp/2021/08/30/afghanistan-update-us-winds-down-mission-over-116000-people-evacuated-since-aug-14.html

Almost 117 thousand evacuated since August 14 alone, and the majority are still there?

Edited by psyche101
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, and then said:

https://www.nationalreview.com/the-morning-jolt/the-americans-joe-biden-left-behind/

I guess those H.S. students should have planned better.  Oh well...

I just read your link, what High School Students are you talking about, you no putting an s on students means plural like a number of them maybe I missed it but I certainly don't have any idea what you talking about. 

It appears this is more Hyperbole!:no:

54 minutes ago, Tatetopa said:

It appears to be thousands I honestly don't know for sure at this time. But, apparently approximately 200 are Americans who never showed up for evacuation or who decided to stay!:(

• Like 1

Of the 120,000 evacuated...how many 'worked' for the U.S. or the Britts, or other 'participants' ? And are therefore in danger? 

It seems pointless to just "evacuate". a slew of "refugees" and thier families, who want a free ride.  ! ?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, lightly said:

...who want a free ride.  ! ?

Paid the pretty dollars is what most folks are saying...

~

• Like 1

8 hours ago, psyche101 said:

Since mass evacuations began on Aug. 14, the U.S. has helped evacuate approximately 116,700 people out of Afghanistan, according to the latest figures from the White House.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnbc.com/amp/2021/08/30/afghanistan-update-us-winds-down-mission-over-116000-people-evacuated-since-aug-14.html

Almost 117 thousand evacuated since August 14 alone, and the majority are still there?

This is why I don't really agree when people say "Afghans didn't want to fight for their own country."

Like that's true to some extent, but I think it's alot more complicated than that. 

Many Afghans fought with the US. Some 60k have died fighting the Taliban according to Wiki.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, spartan max2 said:

Many Afghans fought with the US. Some 60k have died fighting the Taliban according to Wiki.

fighting Taliban in no way means those people want to live a lifestyle America promotes, isis also fighting Taliban.

enemy of my enemy is not necessarily my friend.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, third_eye said:

Paid the pretty dollars is what most folks are saying...

~

Wow!  No kiddin?!   Well,  that would make sense at least. !

• Like 1

On 9/2/2021 at 3:46 PM, psyche101 said:

The article goes on to say:

There were at least 20,000 SIV applicants in the pipeline prior to the US withdrawal, and the State Department has not provided a specific count of how many of the 123,000 people evacuated from Afghanistan fall into that category.

So hopefully this means that they were only referring to the SIV applicants when they talked about the majority being left behind.

On 9/2/2021 at 4:34 PM, Manwon Lender said:

It appears to be thousands I honestly don't know for sure at this time. But, apparently approximately 200 are Americans who never showed up for evacuation or who decided to stay!:(

Do we know if they didn’t show up/decided to stay?

Or possibly they left it too late and got caught up in the chaos/crowds at the airport and didn’t make it to the flights?

Surely there are US citizens who didn’t make it out, and who have contacted US authorities to advise of it. Likely it would be classified as to how many. It’s not really information you would want the Taliban getting their hands on; how many US citizens didn’t make the flights.

Hopefully in time we will see stories of them being evacuated covertly.

But yes of course it’s possible that some chose to stay…

Sometimes I hate having to use the word ‘hopefully’.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Timothy said:

There were at least 20,000 SIV applicants in the pipeline prior to the US withdrawal, and the State Department has not provided a specific count of how many of the 123,000 people evacuated from Afghanistan fall into that category.

So hopefully this means that they were only referring to the SIV applicants when they talked about the majority being left behind.

Do we know if they didn’t show up/decided to stay?

Or possibly they left it too late and got caught up in the chaos/crowds at the airport and didn’t make it to the flights?

Surely there are US citizens who didn’t make it out, and who have contacted US authorities to advise of it. Likely it would be classified as to how many. It’s not really information you would want the Taliban getting their hands on; how many US citizens didn’t make the flights.

Hopefully in time we will see stories of them being evacuated covertly.

But yes of course it’s possible that some chose to stay…

Sometimes I hate having to use the word ‘hopefully’.

There were approximately 200 Americans who didn't make it to the evacuation point at Kabul Airport. It appears that a large number were naturalized Afghans, and before the last day some told the US Authorities they planned to stay. I suspect they did not want to leave their family members behind, so they decided to stay. I think that was a bad decision but, it's also understandable when considering Family the importance of family ties in that part of world. 

As far as Afghan Allies that should have been evacuated, like I said above it appears there were thousands so far I have not seen an exact number!:(

Hope this helps. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

17 hours ago, Manwon Lender said:

There were approximately 200 Americans who didn't make it to the evacuation point at Kabul Airport. It appears that a large number were naturalized Afghans, and before the last day some told the US Authorities they planned to stay. I suspect they did not want to leave their family members behind, so they decided to stay. I think that was a bad decision but, it's also understandable when considering Family the importance of family ties in that part of world. 

As far as Afghan Allies that should have been evacuated, like I said above it appears there were thousands so far I have not seen an exact number!:(

Hope this helps. 

I have heard the promises.  But I have heard many politicians promise what they can't deliver.  For the sake of the people left behind, and not for his own credit, I hope Biden makes good on his promise.  It would be a first.  We did not do so in Vietnam, I know that for a fact.  We did not do so in Syria.  Lets hope this time it works out.  If it does, it will take months.  Correct me if I am wrong, but it is also not something we would want to give too many details about until we are done.  No doubt somebody in the Taliban monitors CNN, FOX, Facebook, and Twitter.  One can't give updates to the American people without informing the  Taliban too. 

If Biden is a brave man, he will take the crap and criticism and keep his mouth shut until the mission is done.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tatetopa said:

I have heard the promises.  But I have heard many politicians promise what they can't deliver.  For the sake of the people left behind, and not for his own credit, I hope Biden makes good on his promise.  It would be a first.  We did not do so in Vietnam, I know that for a fact.  We did not do so in Syria.  Lets hope this time it works out.  If it does, it will take months.  Correct me if I am wrong, but it is also not something we would want to give too many details about until we are done.  No doubt somebody in the Taliban monitors CNN, FOX, Facebook, and Twitter.  One can't give updates to the American people without informing the  Taliban too. 

If Biden is a brave man, he will take the crap and criticism and keep his mouth shut until the mission is done.

My friend I have also heard the same promises you have, and I have also over and over again seen those promises turn into nothing positive all. There is no doubt that whatever they do it will not be spoken about openly until the people concerned are no longer in Afghanistan and they are somewhere safe. There is also no doubt that all Foreign Actors not just the Taliban monitor all televised news media and all online media. So that would not be an appropriate way of informing those left behind of any important information. 

Its also a very good chance that many of the people still there are in hiding and the Taliban may not ever no who they are by name, or how many are still waiting evacuation. Today I saw a news article that says some commercial flights are landing at and leaving the Airport in Kabul, but there was mention of who entered or who left on those flights. As far as Biden is concerned he is and has been back peddling by trying to put some of the Blame on Trump, time will tell how honourable he actually is. 

• Like 1

I look at the news page this morning and i just see conflicting reports . Some say the Taliban is holding planes with US cits on the tarmac in Kabul. some say it is our own state department blocking the flights out. So who's lyin today?

• 2 weeks later...

after seeing all this why would anyone in any country where us military is, would help us, or be involved with us at all?   i see 0 reasons. we come. promise a lot, ruin countries, then we get out, and leave bigger mess then before we got in.  

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/2/2021 at 7:20 AM, lightly said:

Of the 120,000 evacuated...how many 'worked' for the U.S. or the Britts, or other 'participants' ? And are therefore in danger? 

It seems pointless to just "evacuate". a slew of "refugees" and thier families, who want a free ride.  ! ?

I agree.  And it gets curiouser and curiouser:

https://www.theblaze.com/news/gop-lawmakers-answers-hundreds-afghan-refugees-walking-off-us-bases

Since most of those who came over did so directly and without vetting, this story SHOULD be one of great foreboding.  Hundreds of Afghans, a majority of which will almost certainly be males of war-fighting age, are simply walking off the military bases they were flown to.  WHEN America is hit with our next mass-casualty event, anyone care to bet on Democrats being held accountable for the death and mayhem?  :angry:

On 9/2/2021 at 11:57 PM, spartan max2 said:

This is why I don't really agree when people say "Afghans didn't want to fight for their own country."

Like that's true to some extent, but I think it's alot more complicated than that. 

What do you think even part of the reason for the immediate retreat might have been? 

On 9/4/2021 at 1:37 PM, Timothy said:

That would make more sense. Otherwise the numbers just don't. 

• Like 1

I watched a bunch of the Pentagon meetings on the news. They keep saying there are only about 100 U.S. citizens left in Afghanistan. Now I'm hearing there are 20,000 people who haven't finished their registration. These people are not citizens though. I have to question the dedication of these people who are left behind. I think a lot is hype to make the President look bad. I also hear the Pentagon say that they are not abandoning these people, they are still working on getting them out.

I honestly don't know which numbers are true. I looked it up and I see all kinds of different numbers. Who are all these SIV applicants, and are they hesitating?

• Like 2

Update:

According to this 85 more citizens have made it out. From September 20

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnbc.com/amp/2021/09/20/85-americans-have-left-afghanistan-since-us-withdrawal.html

Another 100 from 1 week ago.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2021/09/28/politics/americans-evacuated-afghanistan-tuesday/index.html

I guess these aren't all citizens, but other green card holders too. There can't be too many left......

Edited by Green Lion
  • Like 3