Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

''Bigfoot'' - once a common name for Grizzly bears?

jethrofloyd

Just come across this, and I thought it was interesting:

1895 article describing a grizzly bear with the nickname "Bigfoot."

bigfoot1890s-1538776025.png?crop=1xw:1xh

Also there were times when one animal was confused for another, possibly explaining the origin of the name “Bigfoot.” Old newspaper accounts show that ''Bigfoot'' was a common nickname for for particularly large, aggressive grizzly bears who ate cattle, sheep, and attacked humans. And, it wasn’t until 1958 when a California operator named Jerry Crew 'found' a series of huge muddy footprints that the term was popularized in reference to the primate-like animals.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

6 minutes ago, jethrofloyd said:

Also there were times when one animal was confused for another, possibly explaining the origin of the name “Bigfoot.” Old newspaper accounts show that ''Bigfoot'' was a common nickname for for particularly large, aggressive grizzly bears who ate cattle, sheep, and attacked humans. And, it wasn’t until 1958 when a California operator named Jerry Crew 'found' a series of huge muddy footprints that the term was popularized in reference to the primate-like animals.

That's very interesting, but I lived in the Pacific Northwest for almost 15 years. I became very good friends with a number of Native Americans  during that time and I was invited to Ceremonies and Stomps on the Nisqually Reservation. During this time I had the opportunity to talk with some of the Elders, and during one such time I asked them if they believed in Bigfoot. Well according to their oral and written histories they have lived side by side with them for thousands of years. They call Bigfoot the people of the forest, that's translated, I am unable to speak their language. 

But honestly without a doubt they believe the People of the Forest do exist, and that they even know what areas they live in. Now, I can only take their word for it, but all legends are based upon some facts, and I am not going to say they are wrong because I did spend a great deal of time hiking and climbing in the Cascade Mountains. There are places out in that range no human has ever walked on so I am not  believer and I am not a disbeliever. I hope if some how they do exist, that they are never found or bothered because according to the Native Americans I spoke with they are shy and peaceful creatures who bother no one. 

Peace. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jethrofloyd said:

I think you've cracked it! :w00t: I think this is a really plausible explanation for the Bigfoot myths. Thanks for posting this. :tsu:

• Like 4

It is interesting.   I think bears account fore many sightings where the person actually really thinks they seen bigfoot.   It's in their mind.   Movies about UFO's have caused UFO sightings to spike.  We all know that the chupacabra wasn't reported until a movie with a similar creature was a hit.   The mind plays lots of tricks on people.  

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Myles said:

It is interesting.   I think bears account fore many sightings where the person actually really thinks they seen bigfoot.   It's in their mind.   Movies about UFO's have caused UFO sightings to spike.  We all know that the chupacabra wasn't reported until a movie with a similar creature was a hit.   The mind plays lots of tricks on people.  

Well, Myles, Grizzlies exist in few states and some states have no bears at all. Not sure about your theory

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Myles said:

I am not so certain it is all a mind trick, yes I agree most sightings are most likely Bears. If you read my post above this I talked about having some very good Native American friends and spending time hiking and climbing in the Cascade Mountain Range. Well I went on a 6 day excursion with some of those friends I spoke about above. They were showing me special places that Native Americans have considered as very special places for thousands of years. On the fourth evening while sitting around a camp fire, after we had stopped for night we all heard a low but very loud moaning cry that echoed through the Mountains. 

I was not afraid ( I had a 44 Mag on my side ) but, it was absolutely the strangest sound I have ever heard in my entire life. Now, the people I was with grew up in those mountains so I asked them what that was. Without smiling they said it was a one if the People of the Forest calling for its mate, over the course of an hour we heard that sound four times. Now please don't get me wrong, I am not someone who is gullible at all, and for most of life I was a complete skeptic concerning Bigfoot. But, after that night I am on the fence, because I do know the types of animals that inhabit those mountains and none of them makes sounds like that!

Peace. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Manwon Lender said:

... after we had stopped for night we all heard a low but very loud moaning cry that echoed through the Mountains.

I'm not expert by any means, but could it be a mountain lion? Or perhaps a dying/distressed wolf putting out a last calls?

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, jethrofloyd said:

I'm not expert by any means, but could it be a mountain lion? Or perhaps a dying/distressed wolf putting out a last calls?

According to the Native Americas that grew up traveling in the Cascade Mountains there was no chance of that. After we returned I also wondered what that sound may have been, not that I wasn't certain they truly believed what they told me, but because I was still curious. So, I went to the Tacoma Washington Zoo, and talked with a number of members of the staff.

I explained what occurred and to my surprise no one though it was funny or that I was not being honest. There i learned that no known animal in the Cascade Range made a sound even similar to it, and I also found out I was not the first person to ask about a similar experience. Please keep in mind that the Cascade Mountain range covers approximately 200,000 square miles.

Like I said before those Mountains are a very rugged unforgiving place, and there are many places no one has every gone before. Honestly it's like going back in time, the place is pristine and untouched, I have never really seen anywhere like it, except the other extreme in the deserts of the Middle East. 

Peace bro. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

Well, Myles, Grizzlies exist in few states and some states have no bears at all. Not sure about your theory

That hurts the thought of bigfoot being real a little bit.  For a large bipedal creature to exist in every state is not realistic at all.   

Since the majority of sightings are in states with bear populations, I think my theory holds some weight.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Myles said:

That hurts the thought of bigfoot being real a little bit.  For a large bipedal creature to exist in every state is not realistic at all.   

Since the majority of sightings are in states with bear populations, I think my theory holds some weight.

Myles, I never said BF existed in every state. All I said was BF has been in states where there are no bears.
But it's all good, Myles. You have your opinions. 

• Like 3

With all the maps provided, I go back to one of usual questions. How can such a widely dispersed animal not have been properly documented by now? Surely a breeding population of an 7-8 foot tall creature would have been definitively catalogued.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Trelane said:

With all the maps provided, I go back to one of usual questions. How can such a widely dispersed animal not have been properly documented by now? Surely a breeding population of an 7-8 foot tall creature would have been definitively catalogued.

I also think almost all so called Bigfoot sighting are misidentification or BS, I have never seen one or even a foot print. But the sound I heard that night in the Cascade Mountains was freaky for certain, however, even after that I am not still fully convinced Bigfoot exists. But, if it does, the 200,000 square ft Cascade Mountain range would be a place where it could live unmolested and rarely ever be seen. 

Have you ever been up in the Cascades, or Stationed at Ft. Lewis? 

Well if not, and at some point your stationed at Ft. Lewis and you enjoy a little adventure a 4-6 day hike up into those mountains is a rewarding experience!

Peace Dude!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Trelane said:

Surely a breeding population of an 7-8 foot tall creature would have been definitively catalogued.

I really don\t know if Bigfoot exist or not, but Bigfoot advocates have repeatedly claimed that professional scientists are willfully ignoring compelling evidence.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, jethrofloyd said:

I really don\t know if Bigfoot exist or not, but Bigfoot advocates have repeatedly claimed that professional scientists are willfully ignoring compelling evidence.

I don't believe that at all, the problem in my opinion is you can only cry wolf so many times before people will no longer listen. If the creature does exist it's in a location where very very few humans gave ever gone like I spoke about in my previous posts. If they are shy creatures like my Native friends told me about in Washington State, they are not going to travel to locations where men are commonly seen. Unfortunately there are far to many hoaxers and misidentifications and without DNA evidence Scientists will never except the possibility these creatures exist. So those Bigfoot advocates are either nuts or hoaxers themselves because science is based upon physical evidence and foot prints without DNA will never be excepted.

One thing I find interesting though, is that these so called experts never film a TV Series in places like the Cascade Mountain Range. I mean there is not a better place to do it, I mean you have approximately 200,000 miles of unoccupied dangerous terrain, just maybe they should look there instead of in someone's back yard!!:lol:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 9/2/2021 at 3:57 AM, jethrofloyd said:

Very cool. Id never seen that before in my 15+ years here on UM. Good reason to keep up on the threads. Sometimes a golden tidbit comes by.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, jethrofloyd said:

''Bigfoot'' sightings vs Black Bear records

qfwffdxqwcw61.png?width=960&crop=smart&a

Thats very cool also. It looks like a high degree if correlation. Other then in southern Washington state. 

From what I've read a standing black bear can get up to seven feet tall for a big male. 

On 9/2/2021 at 4:21 AM, Manwon Lender said:

But honestly without a doubt they believe the People of the Forest do exist, and that they even know what areas they live in.

Be aware some here might call you a liar. They usually attack anyone referencing Bigfoot by way of Native American lore.

Just saying don't be surprised. :tu:

On 9/3/2021 at 4:27 AM, Manwon Lender said:

Like I said before those Mountains are a very rugged unforgiving place, and there are many places no one has every gone before.

I've tried to explain this to people from back East and in the Midwest, but they seem to think there's researchers, game cams, and hikers just everywhere all the time. At least thats the arguement, that there's no place to hide.

IMHO, the areas to hide increase as you go north. Going into Canada, there's even more forests with no one ever going there.

The other oft used arguement is there's no extra food in the forests for Bigfoot. Which I also think is bunk. 

10 hours ago, Manwon Lender said:

I also think almost all so called Bigfoot sighting are misidentification or BS, I have never seen one or even a foot print. But the sound I heard that night in the Cascade Mountains was freaky for certain, however, even after that I am not still fully convinced Bigfoot exists.

This is basically where I'm at. If it could be something else, it probably is. But I am open to there being something actually walking the deserted forests...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Here's the problem. When people see bears they say "Hey look, a bear." They know what bears are and look like and can easily identify them. Chances people see bears and think they're Bigfoot? Slim to no chance.

There were men with the nickname Bigfoot. Are men mistaken for Bigfoot? 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

12 hours ago, Manwon Lender said:

I also think almost all so called Bigfoot sighting are misidentification or BS, I have never seen one or even a foot print. But the sound I heard that night in the Cascade Mountains was freaky for certain, however, even after that I am not still fully convinced Bigfoot exists. But, if it does, the 200,000 square ft Cascade Mountain range would be a place where it could live unmolested and rarely ever be seen. 

Have you ever been up in the Cascades, or Stationed at Ft. Lewis? 

Well if not, and at some point your stationed at Ft. Lewis and you enjoy a little adventure a 4-6 day hike up into those mountains is a rewarding experience!

Peace Dude!

I'm currently on my second assignment here at Lewis. The Cascades are absolutely amazing.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I'd say just look at most of the Bigfoot threads. Most can be explained by a man wearing a dark outfit at a distance were identification can't easily be confirmed. 

• Like 1