Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Harm Done By Religion

Doug1066

15 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

I just put Walker & Sherapy on ignore and this thread is so much easier to read now.

That is a good idea. :tsu:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, Desertrat56 said:

I just put Walker & Sherapy on ignore and this thread is so much easier to read now.

Now Sherapy is one great poster and should never be ignored, now MW....well........not so much. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Phantom309 said:

Now Sherapy is one great poster and should never be ignored, now MW....well........not so much. 

I agree, except when she keeps Walker going. How many times can you say the same thing before you realize you are talking to the wall?    I put her on ignore just so I could get through this thread.  I will take her off ignore later.

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/2/2021 at 11:57 PM, Doug1066 said:

This is not a god exists/god doesn't exist thread. 

yes it is! it's just a different way of putting it..... so what is your point?

Just now, Dejarma said:

yes it is! it's just a different way of putting it..... so what is your point?

No, because religion has Nothing to do with anyone's god.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

I agree, except when she keeps Walker going. How many times can you say the same thing before you realize you are talking to the wall?    I put her on ignore just so I could get through this thread.  I will take her off ignore later.

This has been going on for, literally, years. I enjoy Sherapy's posts because they are actually quite informative. Paul just pretends to be smarter than he is and gets smoked for it, and can't handle criticism... so he floods you with a bunch of sources that may or may not actually support his statements (there's too many provided to actually bother with sifting through) so he can convince himself that he's right, and that he's won the argument. His nonsensical ramblings usually just make me laugh, at this point. I just don't take him seriously anymore.

Edited by Nuclear Wessel
  • Like 5

5 minutes ago, Nuclear Wessel said:

This has been going on for, literally, years. I enjoy Sherapy's posts because they are actually quite informative. Paul just pretends to be smarter than he is and gets smoked for it, and can't handle criticism. His nonsensical ramblings usually just make me laugh, at this point. I can't take them seriously.

Well, I get annoyed when there are pages and pages of Walker and a couple of people back and forth with the same things over and over that add nothing to the discussion and usually are drifted so far from the OP it is hard to tell what the OP was.  But the ignore option makes it easy to skip all that.  Unfortunately I also have to ignore who ever keeps answering Walker.

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

No, because religion has Nothing to do with anyone's god.

yes it does.... the doctorings of a god is the basis of religion- or am i wrong?

2 minutes ago, Dejarma said:

yes it does.... the doctorings of a god is the basis of religion- or am i wrong?

You are wrong.  There may be mention of god, but the descriptions of the sponsoring god have nothing to do with the real purpose of the religion.  That is why, in my opinion religion is so damaging.

P.S.  I am stating my strong opinion, not fact as there is no facts concerning any diety.

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Desertrat56 said:

You are wrong.  There may be mention of god, but the descriptions of the sponsoring god have nothing to do with the real purpose of the religion.  That is why, in my opinion religion is so damaging.

yes absolutely religion is a virus that will eventually kill us all if it's allowed to carry on imo.. But all religions revolve around the belief in a god or some form of deity that tells the believers how they should live their lives... You're confusing me

• Like 3

Dictionary

Look it up
religion
[rəˈlijən]

NOUN
religion (noun) · religions (plural noun)
  1. the belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, especially a personal God or gods.
    "ideas about the relationship between science and religion"
    synonyms:
    faith · belief · divinity · worship · creed · teaching · doctrine · theology · sect · cult · religious group · faith community · church · denomination · body · following · persuasion · affiliation

ORIGIN
Middle English (originally in the sense ‘life under monastic vows’): from Old French, or from Latin religio(n-) ‘obligation, bond, reverence’, perhaps based on Latin religare ‘to bind’.
  • Like 1

"Of all bad men religious bad men are the worst." - C. S. Lewis

• Like 4

Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum - To such heights of evil are men driven by religion.” - Lucretius

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

Well, the person in question has been an obsessive-compulsive disorder for several posters for about a decade. To be fair, they've repeatedly tried to cancel him, but he keeps getting renewed for a new season.:D

• Haha 4

On 9/2/2021 at 11:57 PM, Doug1066 said:

I have written a series of short essays on how religion harms society.  I plan to post one a day and give people a chance to comment.

This is not a god exists/god doesn't exist thread.  We have had a number of those on UM and gone nowhere with them.  This thread is about religion, not god(s).  One does not have to believe in god to have a bad experience with those who do.  Some of these are from my own experience.  Some are from historical accounts.  And some are borrowed from atheist writings.  I present them because they need to be heard.

I will have a lot to say about how the organized churches looked the other way while the Nazis burned Europe.  I will have a lot to say about how the church never does the right thing when it can do the remunerative thing.

To begin this thread I start with an incident from my own experience:

The definition or label `Third Reich` was not picked by the German people as the name of their new empire.

Each of the three realms got its title awarded by the Pope for entering into agreements with the Catholic Church. I suspect give it 100 years and we might find out that the Vatican sanctioned the Holocaust and maybe even made it a condition of support from the church.

23 minutes ago, Dejarma said:

yes absolutely religion is a virus that will eventually kill us all if it's allowed to carry on imo.. But all religions revolve around the belief in a god or some form of deity that tells the believers how they should live their lives... You're confusing me

I don't mean to confuse you.   How is the god you believe in described in any religion you know about?   Do any two religions who claim to worship the same god describe that god the same way, or even for that matter does any one group of people claiming they practice the same religion describe their god the same way for everyone or are there different descriptions depending on the situation?   My experience with the judaic religions is that no one agrees on who or what or where god really is except that god is loving unless you break some random rule that makes no sense for a god to even expect, then that god will send you to his brother the devil (who is more worshiped than god in some religions [and I am not talking about what is considered satan worshipers, I am talking about southern baptists])

So, I am sure you are even more confused.  That is the way it is with this subject.  :lol:

Edited by Desertrat56

12 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

Well, the person in question has been an obsessive-compulsive disorder for several posters for about a decade. To be fair, they've repeatedly tried to cancel him, but he keeps getting renewed for a new season.:D

Because they respond to his insanity, instead of ignoring it, which makes them seem just as insane.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

no one agrees on who or what or where god really is except that god is loving

so it revolves around believing in a god then= who or what or where is irrelevant - yes?? or am i stupid?

40 minutes ago, tortugabob said:

Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum - To such heights of evil are men driven by religion.” - Lucretius

"Religio est vehiculi homines repellere ad propositum.- Religion is just a vehicle which men drive to their own purpose."  Ubiquitius

Edited by Hammerclaw
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

Because they respond to his insanity, instead of ignoring it, which makes them seem just as insane.

They fan the flames.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

I've already had this rant a few times, nothing changes. So don't expect it too.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Dejarma said:

so it revolves around believing in a god then= who or what or where is irrelevant - yes?? or am i stupid?

I don't think you are stupid.   I don't understand what you are getting at, what you are asking.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Desertrat56 said:

I don't think you are stupid.   I don't understand what you are getting at, what you are asking.

yeah i can see that... best leave it then- have fun;)

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Dejarma said:

yeah i can see that... best leave it then- have fun;)

On some subjects I have a messy way of thinking.  You are probably not the only one who is confused by some of my posts.

• Haha 3

20 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

On some subjects I have a messy way of thinking.  You are probably not the only one who is confused by some of my posts.

are there some subjects you feel you do not have a messy way of thinking? what are they, prey tell

• The topic was locked
  • The topic was unlocked