Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Harm Done By Religion

Doug1066

9 hours ago, XenoFish said:

It really is. You just don't want to see it that way. I get the feeling that you think you know best for everyone else. That's simply untrue.

It is not a matter of thinking whether one knows best or not, it is a lived experience from one state of being, to another.

it is the journey of someone who has lived it.

A journey Home.

Tricky.

But doable.

49 minutes ago, Liquid Gardens said:

Ha, so more examples of just shaking the dust off and moving on.  I forget, what's 'hypocrisy' mean again?

If someone was treating your peace and Security, would you just shake the dust off your boots? Be reasonable!!

1 minute ago, Crazy Horse said:

It is not a matter of thinking whether one knows best or not, it is a lived experience from one state of being, to another.

it is the journey of someone who has lived it.

A journey Home.

Tricky.

But doable.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRoRSdqBUJN0fptkStsWii

• Haha 3

Just now, larryp said:

If someone was treating your peace and Security, would you just shake the dust off your boots? Be reasonable!!

Don't you mean threating? Not treating. 

9 hours ago, Nuclear Wessel said:

Yes, it is. I do not share your views but am getting along in life quite happily, and comfortably. No need for nonsensical religious dogma, judeo-Christian mythology, etc.

If you don't feel the need for GOD and spirituality, then good luck to you.

I have never told anybody you must do this, or that, only trying to pass along what has worked for myself.

You may take it, or leave it.

But good luck anyway.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Don't you mean threating? Not treating. 

Do you mean that he meant threatening? :innocent:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

b0338dd0e0d6b74c1c70a7f56d7fee8a.jpg

Odd. That's how I have been picturing larry in my head...

• Haha 5

3 minutes ago, onlookerofmayhem said:

Odd. That's how I have been picturing larry in my head...

The cat's too cute for that.

• Haha 5

2 hours ago, larryp said:

Hey I don't know why you're talking about what I would do, I'm not Jesus, these are his rules not mine.  You can't threaten the security of God, that's like me threatening the sun.  No matter what you think he was theologically while on the earth, there is some support in your scripture for the idea that Jesus knows he's going to die and that is why he is here, so I don't know how much 'security' you think he's trying to preserve.  Why's he care about these things, his 'kingdom is not of this world'.  Etcetera.

Personally I think he had the right idea with dusting and moving on, it's taking the high road, I think it's good when my stereotype of Jesus acts more like my stereotype of Buddha.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Crazy Horse said:

I cant spell even with spell check.

My bad lol..

I hear you!  B)

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Liquid Gardens said:

Personally I think he had the right idea with dusting and moving on, it's taking the high road, I think it's good when my stereotype of Jesus acts more like my stereotype of Buddha.

If we are going by the scriptures...and I know there are many who diss the very  authentication of Jesus as an actual person...but...if we are going by The Scriptures...then...to be true to Himself...he had no other alternative...The Crucifixion was his Legacy...

It's interesting to me that, despite what the scriptures say...the belief that one person, born of a Virgin (impossible)  became the only person ever to Escape Death. (also  impossible) 

Which is to say...if we go by the Sciptures...it all makes perfect sense...but outside of that...it makes zero sense...and...because I have thrown  myself into the realm of The Laws of Physics...it never happened....

Nonetheless...it was always the teachings of Buddha that made him Buddha...and it was the teachings of The Christ...that made him The Christ...

So...if the Buddha teachings are forsaken, or, if the teachings of Krishna, for example, are disregarded, for Dogma, what does that say for the teachings of The Christ?  Does it make them null and void?  I for one think not.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, joc said:

So...if the Buddha teachings are forsaken, or, if the teachings of Krishna, for example, are disregarded, for Dogma, what does that say for the teachings of The Christ?  Does it make them null and void?  I for one think not.

Hi Joc

The bible predicted the “ Christ” where as Buddha just happened with no prediction of he is coming.

But then that is just my opinion

• Like 3

Just now, jmccr8 said:

Hi Joc

The bible predicted the “ Christ” where as Buddha just happened with no prediction of he is coming.

But then that is just my opinion

If you want to be precise (and you cannot) where in the scriptures does it predict The Christ?  Was it the vague meanderings from the Old Testament...or was it the Hunting and Pecking of Herod in the New Testament?

• Like 2

Hi Joc

I don’t have a dog in the fight because not unlike yourself have expressed what we see being in the world means us as individuals in a world full of meanings. I have no expectations of how the world sees me because I will always be I am to me

• Like 4

2 hours ago, joc said:

Nonetheless...it was always the teachings of Buddha that made him Buddha...and it was the teachings of The Christ...that made him The Christ...

I agree with that first part about Buddha, good point, I think it was the teachings of Jesus that made him Jesus, but it was his suffering that made him The Christ.

• Like 3

Those Romans sure could sell their pax romana by blood and gold... An offer you can't refuse... 

~

• Like 4

11 hours ago, XenoFish said:

For you it isn't. Other won't see it your way. 

Well it is there for anyone who wishes to know, experience, and ultimately unite with THAT.

Your choice either way.

11 hours ago, XenoFish said:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRoRSdqBUJN0fptkStsWii

Don't take the Dudes words and like use them against me, man.

That's not cool.

And yet there's a part of that movie were the Dude does a Shiva pose, you know?

• Like 1

On 11/1/2021 at 3:00 PM, Manwon Lender said:

There is no doubt that Jesus was a living person, during the time that the Bible says Jesus was born . . ."

YHWH

I'll second that!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, larryp said:

I'll second that!!

That was responding to @Manwon Lender's

There is no doubt that Jesus was a living person, during the time that the Bible says Jesus was born . . .

and that was back on November 1st. The full quote, offered in reply to @Abramelin

There is no doubt that Jesus was a living person, during the time that the Bible says Jesus was born and later crucified, Jesus was a common name in the part of the World that the Bible describes. The only question in my mind is with all these Jesus's running around which one of them was the one the Bible is describing. I believe that the biblical Jesus did exist and that he was a wise man or a prophet, and I can except that the Christian religion started with him, but unfortunately I don't believe he was the son of God, because I don't believe God exists!

Peace my friend.

Manwon can correct me, but taken as a whole, he seems to have been stating his own personal view of the matter, and not making some global pronouncement about the current state of intellectual history. Abramelin had offered a reservation about a historical Jesus, that's what Manwon was responding to.

There is quite a bit of doubt in the world about whether Jesus, in the sense of the person whom Paul wrote about in his letters, was a real person who actually lived. That includes professional scholars, but ordinary people, too

https://talkingjesus.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/Talking-Jesus-dig-deeper.pdf

(see page 11, results of a 2015 poll of a representative sample of English adults, "22% think he’s a fictional character.")

There is more urgent doubt, even if we were sure that Jesus was a real person, whether we can know anything about what Jesus really said and did. Paul displayed little interest in Jesus's earthly career. For example, Paul explains Christian baptism in Romans (6:3-4) without mentioning that Jesus was baptized - something which one might think would have some relevance to the Christian meaning of baptism. (John the Baptist is never mentioned in any of the extant letters of Paul).

The gospels, canonical or otherwise, are not historical documents, and were seen as unreliable sources even in ancient times. Christians mistrusted one another's gospels, and the few non-Chirstian critics whose work survives mistrusted the four that are now canonical.

And that's it for potential primary sources for Jesus's words or deeds. We don't know, and cannot know what he said and did, if anything. The words attributed to him include much wisdom, but their content can also be found in other ancient literature including the Jewish Bible and ancient Jewish scripture that wasn't included in the Jewish canon. The Jewish literature, in turn, includes wisdom distilled from the surrounding cultures.

Bottom line: The New Testament is well worth reading, as are other ancient Christian writings, but useless to find reliable factual information about a historical Jesus, starting with whether there really ever was an earthly Jesus.

If somebody has a personal conviction that there was such a man, then that's fine with me. It is a fact, bowever, that there are reasonable people who have doubts, or even personal conviction that there was no such person. I didn't interpret Manwon as saying otherwise.

Edited by eight bits
cleaner formatting
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4

The one True Bob...

"Disease of conceit"

[00.03:46]

~

• Thanks 5

2 hours ago, Crazy Horse said:

Don't take the Dudes words and like use them against me, man.

The comment still stands. All of your god ranting is just your opinion. That's all it is. I think I've gone over that in several post to the point where either you're willfully ignoring it or denying it. Your faith, your belief, is yours and yours alone. Even those who might share a similar ideological framework still have a differing opinion. If what you do brings something good in your life, fine, I really don't care. So long are you're not bring actual harm to others. 

You really need to understand that others do not think like you. They don't have the same goals and wishes. One person might be a satanist who gets along peacefully with others, perhaps they're a cafeteria christian, or an atheist for that matter. 

The point being that you have your own subjective reality tunnel and it's yours alone. 

Edited by XenoFish
Need coffee
  • Like 6

• The topic was locked
  • The topic was unlocked