Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Harm Done By Religion

Doug1066

13 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

Then your personal God is nothing but a grandiose delusion, whose only purpose is to make you feel special, when you really are just an average, ordinary bloke. I'm sorry, old friend, but all you bring to the table is ego and nothing else, save for what bears witness to your tragic and pathetic fantasies. I truly pity you.

lol no more than my dogs or my wife are delusions or even grandiose 

It is just a real powerful interventionist entity which protects, educates and empowers me, and has done so for almost 60 years  It adds another dimension to my existence just as language intelligence  etc do 

Your opinion is a belief and a rational one, but based o a lack of knowldge and experience with such a being.

Its not grandiose.

It s a mate, a friend, an older brother or father   figure 

Its not magical.  it is not religious its not asking anything of me except companionship and connection.

Delusions cant save your life or give you physical protection, although they can give you great strength courage and endurance of body and will

It is a part of the natural order of the universe (or our part of it anyway) 

And yep of course I am just an ordinary bloke. Every human is equal or "ordinary " 

it is just that  I have an extraordinary companion/ guide/ protector etc.  who is a part of me and of whom i am a part  A bit like Gaea 

Most of the time its just there in my mind and in my environment, watching  and guiding and empowering my everyday life  helping me find a car park,  making me happy and content,  or helping me make friends and talk to people ,  but it manifests when it is needed into a more powerful form when danger threatens  

You see, in my opinion, (because of my life with this being,  and because I do NOT believe  I am special or unique  )   I believe that  EVERY human is meant to be connected to it,  and to live a fuller , more empowered, happier and connected life, filled with love for self  and others,   purpose/ meaning,  and joy,  and without any fear, anger, envy, hate, etc . 

IMO unless most of us can achieve this state of being , we are likely to kill ourselves off, or ruin our planet, before too long. 

28 minutes ago, larryp said:

". . . that in the last days ridiculers will come with their ridicule, proceeding according to their own desires and saying: “Where is this promised presence of his? Why, from the day our forefathers fell asleep in death, all things are continuing exactly as they were from creation’s beginning.” 2 Peter 3:4

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTG0IfaSwQgTXDWjkfwrTd

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR_fm9MTyIs2ATCjbme8DN

• Like 5

34 minutes ago, Mr Walker said:

It is just a real powerful interventionist entity which protects, educates and empowers me, and has done so for almost 60 years  It adds another dimension to my existence just as language intelligence  etc do 

Your opinion is a belief and a rational one, but based o a lack of knowldge and experience with such a being.

Its not grandiose.

Its not magical.  it is not religious its not asking anything of me except companionship and connection.

Delusions cant save your life or give you physical protection, although they can give you great strength courage and endurance of body and will

And yep of course I am just an ordinary bloke. Every human is equal or "ordinary " 

it is just that  I have an extraordinary companion/ guide/ protector etc.  who is a part of me and of whom i am a part  A bit like Gaea 

Most of the time its just there in my mind and in my environment, watching  and guiding and empowering my everyday life  helping me find a car park,  making me happy and content,  or helping me make friends and talk to people ,  but it manifests when it is needed into a more powerful form when danger threatens  

You see, in my opinion, (because of my life with this being,  and because I do NOT believe  I am special or unique  )   I believe that  EVERY human is meant to be connected to it,  and to live a fuller , more empowered, happier and connected life, filled with love for self  and others,   purpose/ meaning,  and joy,  and without any fear, anger, envy, hate, etc . 

IMO unless most of us can achieve this state of being , we are likely to kill ourselves off, or ruin our planet, before too long. 

I mean no offense, but I think you're full of crap, my friend.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

On 11/3/2021 at 1:39 PM, joc said:

No one is hunting down religions.  We are just exercising free speech concerning religions.  I don't think you can become part of the Holy See and not See the problem with pedophilia in the Church Hierarchy.  And you don't amend such things and attempt to move the church to a better place...you don't move the Pedophile Priests around like pieces on a board.  You utterly destroy them...but they don't do they? No. Why?  Because they are guilty of the very same crimes.  The Catholic See is a Seething Mess of Greed and Violence and while no one is hunting them down...perhaps they should

YHWH

Amen, Amen!!!

On 11/1/2021 at 3:04 PM, Manwon Lender said:

". . . those who have no beliefs or spirituality are the first ones to attack another's beliefs. . ." 

Then I guess Jesus had no spirituality because he verbally attacked, with fury, anyone who misrepresented YHWH, his father.

3 hours ago, larryp said:

". . . that in the last days ridiculers will come with their ridicule, proceeding according to their own desires and saying: “Where is this promised presence of his? Why, from the day our forefathers fell asleep in death, all things are continuing exactly as they were from creation’s beginning.” 2 Peter 3:4

So nothing has changed in the course of human history. Truly there is nothing new under the sun. Because it's been renamed and repackaged over and over.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, larryp said:

Then I guess Jesus had no spirituality because he verbally attacked, with fury, anyone who misrepresented YHWH, his father.

Your certainly catching on, you no matter your Station or position in life you have no right to chastise anyone for their beliefs. Each of us including Jesus is responsible for their comments and their physical actions. You can easily do as much harm to someone with alone and no physical action.

Put yourself in the following position, as a Christian how are you suppose to respond to verbal attacks when they levied at you personally.

Which of the following ways should you respond to verbal attacks!

1.  Lash out verbally against those who have attacked you!

2.  Say nothing in return and just walk away!

3.  Choose your words carefully and control the manner in which you respond. Then respond in sushi a way that places you on the morale high ground. 

When it come to Jesus and spirituality or even a soul, does Jesus need either one?

If you say yes he does, then answer why do you feel that way?

Peace!

DBCCFC8D-F102-4F39-9E69-6850F618A987-4064-000003560C1B7657.png

23EC79AF-1FD9-479D-9D93-12B92BF29698-4064-0000035576CC7851.jpg

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Sherapy said:

This is horrible. 

First its important to understand that the Eastern Orthodox, which Georgia is part of have split and is no longer part of the Roman Catholic Faith. 

""The word "orthodox" means "right believing" and was adopted to signify the true religion that faithfully followed the beliefs and practices defined by the first seven ecumenical councils (dating back to the first ten centuries). Eastern Orthodoxy claims to have fully preserved, without any deviation, the traditions, and doctrines of the early Christian church established by the apostles. Adherents believe themselves to be the only true and "right believing" Christian faith."" 

Eastern Orthodox Beliefs Vs. Roman Catholic

The primary dispute that led to the split between Eastern Orthodoxy and Roman Catholicism centered around Rome's deviation from the original conclusions of the seven ecumenical councils, such as the claim to a universal papal supremacy.

Eastern Orthodox Church Beliefs

Baptism: Baptism is the initiator of the salvation experience. Eastern Orthodox practice baptism by full immersion.

TOP 10 Eastern Orthodox Heresies of the Eastern Orthodox Catholic ( Georgia )

Triple Baptism of Infants:  
Both triple baptism, and the baptism of infants, are found nowhere in the new testament. In Orthodoxy the baptism of adults and infants is by immersion in water three times in the name of the Trinity and is both the initiation into the Church and a sign of forgiveness of sins. To them triple infant baptism also removes their idea of "original sin".
the words spoken in the triple baptism are: “The servant of God (name) is baptised in the name of the Father. Amen. And of the Son, Amen. And of the Holy Spirit, Amen”. At each "invocation" the Priest immerses and then raises the infant up again. After the Baptism the Priest places the child in a new linen sheet held by the Godparent.

The reason the Eastern Orthodox Catholics go through the strange method of Baptism, is explained above. They call their method below a Triple Baptism and that's what they are doing  in the gif files below, its 3 dunks and done.

See the source image

Image result for strange eastern orthodox catholic baptism practices gif

10 hours ago, joc said:

Neither Joc nor Xeno miss points of any kind...they both kind of know pretty much everything about pretty much everything.  

There was no point about rain and god...but blather away, it's your dime...

Peace to you both, hope the information above  is helpful!:tu:

• Like 3

On 11/3/2021 at 2:20 PM, joc said:

The real dark side of the church is that they have completely abandoned the 'teachings' of Christ in favor of a belief system that he himself did not share. The church has taken the very words of Christ and twisted them into something so foreign from the original meaning that it is impossible to find any truth in the church at all.    

YHWH

Twisted things like burning in hell and buying your way out of purgatory etc., all a pack of lies brought on by the Clergy.  

"They built the high places of Baʹal in order to burn their sons in the fire as whole burnt offerings to Baʹal, something that I had not commanded or spoken of and that had never even come into my heart"  Jeremiah 19:5

Edited by larryp
the details!

3 hours ago, XenoFish said:

So nothing has changed in the course of human history. Truly there is nothing new under the sun. Because it's been renamed and repackaged over and over.

Truer words were never spoken X.    So I have to wonder why people throughout the ages keep renaming and repackaging ideas about some sort of God .  (or oneness of all existence).  What is it that keeps coming from within us which we feel connects us to .... .  ... . .    . ..?    

Maybe I'm nuts...but if I get quiet, even for an instant, I have Always felt connected to something..  Words are useless in trying to share or explain such things...words and even thoughts are simply obstructions and distractions.   Right Crazyhorse? ;)

3 hours ago, Manwon Lender said:

". . . you no matter your Station or position in life you have no right to chastise anyone for their beliefs.

I guess you know better than the son God.  :sleepy: . . . who will listen to you?

Edited by larryp

8 hours ago, Mr Walker said:

Its not grandiose.

“Delusions are beliefs that are often bizarre, held with strong conviction, and are resistant to change even in the face of compelling evidence to the contrary.” 

Keep in mind that in your case a large portion of this claim is based on your expectation,( a strong belief). 

“ I believe that  EVERY human is meant to be connected to it,  and to live a fuller , more empowered, happier and connected life, filled with love for self  and others,   purpose/ meaning,  and joy,  and without any fear, anger, envy, hate, etc.” 

In other words, at no offense towards you, but at best you show the amount of bias you hold towards this belief and this bias 100 percent influences your perceptions. You are biased to your belief and any sensory input has been used to support your bias. This is just how the brain works.  

All the best.

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, larryp said:

YHWH

If someone slandered someone you loved and misrepresented their goals, would you stand there with your hand in your mouth? or would you defend your loved one? Be reasonable.

Since you ignored apparently my previous response that I'm not Jesus yet keeping asking about what I would do, are you claiming there's no difference between Jesus and me?  Am I a son of god too?  Or is Jesus not the son of god/god?  Why would a god care about what sinful beings that are less than ants to them say or think?  Are these misrepresentations and slander going to harm god in some way? Is it going to thwart god's will or plan?  Of course not, God shouldn't care about misrepresentation by relative insects any more than Godzilla does, so as you say try to 'be reasonable'.

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, larryp said:

I guess you know better than the son God.  :sleepy: . . . who will listen to you?

The real question isn't who will listen to me, because I don't care!! :devil: However, the cooments made to you by members across this thread it's very obvious no one is taking you serious of listening to you. Then based upon your responses it is very obvious the fact no one is taking you serious does matter to you sadly!

04DDE5CB-2CD6-498F-A1B4-D014C2B6D26F-4064-00000360FE452A47.jpg

• Like 2

1 minute ago, larryp said:

This sounds like Philosophy 101.

Winner, winner, chicken dinner. Good job champ. Putting that brain to use.:tu:

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Manwon Lender said:

The real question isn't who will listen to me, because I don't care!!  

Your care, otherwise you wouldn't be here!!

On 11/4/2021 at 11:52 PM, onlookerofmayhem said:

How the hell does geology verify anything whatsoever about the bible?

The Cambrian Explosion proves that life "exploded" deep in the earth's crust, and it didn't take 540 million years to do so. 

The term "Cambrian Explosion" refers to the appearance and rapid diversification of most major living animal body plans (species) in the fossil record. So, this goes against the evolutionary theory of slow and gradual pace. 

Edited by larryp
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Manwon Lender said:

First its important to understand that the Eastern Orthodox, which Georgia is part of have split and is no longer part of the Roman Catholic Faith. 

Ok, just briefly. The Eastern Orthodox and the Roman Catholics are not in "full communion." In other words, they agree that they are not the same church. The headline difference is in the text you quoted:

4 hours ago, Manwon Lender said:

universal papal supremacy.

That in turn reflects two different theories of "ecclesiology," how the church should be organized and run. Oddly enough, that includes what the word catholic means, lol.

The actual doctrinal differences are generally minor, as are the differences with other apostolic succession Christians like the Anglican Communion.

The video is not really a good source of information about the Eastern Orthodox, The use of Chick Tracts gives that away. Yes, from the point of view of Fundamentalist Protestantism, the Eastern Orthodox are the heretics.

That's not really the problem before us, though, which is the callous disregard of the priest for the baby's suffering as documented in the Euronews video and gif.

That's not uniform across Eastern Orthodoxy, and in some places, triple baptism is just three pourings of water from a small pitcher on the baby's forehead (as opposed to what? Catholics and Anglicans pouring a single continuous stream?). The organization of the Eastern church means that somewhat different practices prevail in different countries and regions. So what you see in the video is at least as much a "Georgia" thing as an "EOC" thing, a local implementation only thematically related to other national practices elsewhere.

I was thinking of posting some images of Russian OC January 6th outdoor celebrations of Jesus's baptism, including young children being dunked in holes cut in river ice, but thought better of it. However, it's no secret, the images and news coverage are freely available online. While I could equally show images of Boston's "L Street Brownies" who voluntarily and secularly go swimming in the ocean on New Year's, in some of the Russian examples, the children are obviously not volunteers and not happy about their plight.

I do know with respect to the Russian case, that some in the Orthodox Church object to the imposition of such treatment on children. Perhaps there is similar dissent within the church about the Georgian approach to baptism, I don't know.

Edited by eight bits
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4

12 hours ago, larryp said:

You do realize Jesus and the N.T. is really similar to the Golden Calf and the nihilistic maniacs that worshiped it right?

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, GoldenWolf said:

You do realize Jesus and the N.T. is really similar to the Golden Calf and the nihilistic maniacs that worshiped it right?

Actually, he was more like Jerry Garcia with Dead-Heads following him everywhere.

• Haha 6

2 hours ago, Hammerclaw said:

Actually, he was more like Jerry Garcia with Dead-Heads following him everywhere.

An apt comparison. :wub:

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Hammerclaw said:

I mean no offense, but I think you're full of crap, my friend.

First, a bit I added to my last post, but left too long to be able to resave it. 

Ps ive always had a strong healthy ego and self  esteem.

I was raised to believe it was an essential part of a humanist  and needed, not only to empower slef  to be the best  one can be  but  required in order to have the confidence and skills to help others.  I made myself a successful respected and lovable human being, without any helpusing  intelligent applicationand discipline of mind and body 

None of us are alone on this planet and we all have a duty of care to every other being and thing  

I don't need a "god"/powerful alien  to boost me, and I  never asked for its company  It took years to adjust to it's presence and to learn how to work with it   

Then :

I  don't take offence.

First your tone is neutral and reasonable, and second, previous posts show you have a good heart, if a sometimes irascible nature. 

All I can say is that your reaction is wrong, but natural until you have some experience in these things yourself . 

Tell me, do you think ALL humans who claim these encounters and connectors are full of crap, or is it just me :)  

If I was a Tibetan monk who had spent 6 decades meditating on these things, studying and practicing them,   would you take me more seriously, or is it all just impossible in your mind? 

On 11/7/2021 at 11:51 AM, larryp said:

You implied that Jesus was hypocritical since he verbally attacked the Pharisees and Sadducees for having a different faith. My response was, one of Jesus' missions was to expose the false teaching of the Pharisees and the Sadducees and clear YHWH'S name.

All one has to do to know what Jesus is doing is watch the evensing news.

Doug

• Haha 1

• The topic was locked
  • The topic was unlocked