Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Harm Done By Religion

Doug1066

5 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Might as well be.

5 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Might as well be.

If one really looks into the functions of the brain they probably wouldn’t be that impressed. Lol 

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 3

Just now, Sherapy said:

If one really looks into the functions of the brain they wouldn’t be that impressed. Lol 

Probably the reason I'm not. 

• Haha 3

23 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

It is not rocket science.

Could be brain surgery, though.

• Haha 4

Keeping the priests away... 

47643851-9968759-image-a-11_163108684902

~

• Haha 6

11 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

If you spend enough time cultivating an idea, it'll affect all manner of things. Namely perception. 

And, ones affect and subconscious and ones internal environment and prosocial behaviors too as we so often see with the feedback aspect. Like 8ty pointed out it is part of a discourse is the ability to consider constructive feedback. too, etc etc. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, eight bits said:

Could be brain surgery, though.

I loved what you added earlier some posters bring feedback, if it doesn’t apply then a person can always disregard. . :P

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

And, ones affect and subconscious and ones internal environment and prosocial behaviors too as we so often see with the feedback aspect. Like 8ty pointed out it is part of a discourse is the ability to consider constructive feedback. too, etc etc. 

If the feedback contradicts a person's beliefs they will oppose it. What we have happening here is some of us saying "that is your belief, and that's okay." While the one/s in question basically say "you are wrong and I am right. I know the truth".

To be honest isn't anything new.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, XenoFish said:

If the feedback contradicts a person's beliefs they will oppose it. What we have happening here is some of us saying "that is your belief, and that's okay." While the one/s in question basically say "you are wrong and I am right. I know the truth".

To be honest isn't anything new.

Well, for me, this type of frame can offer an “opportunity’ to consider the feedback or not too. Some consistently won’t and that is okay and then there are those that will find use for suggestions. A person always has the choice to consider ones feedback or not, too. I am okay with this. 

It took me awhile to accept that I was not right about Atheism being able to prove there was no god….fortunately for me, with some amazing feedback on how to move forward and explore where I had on blinders; I was able to move forward I even took a Philosophy course to hone my critical thinking skills.. Some of the feedback I couldn’t even hear, some I didn’t like at all, some didn’t apply to me, and some actually really helped. I also have nurtured some awesome friendships too as a result. 

:wub:

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

Well, for me, this type of frame can offer an “opportunity’ to consider the feedback or not too. Some consistently won’t and that is okay and then there are those that will find use for suggestions. A person always has the choice to not consider ones feedback or not, too. I am okay with this. 

It took me awhile to accept that I was not right about Atheism being able to prove there was no god….fortunately for me, with some amazing feedback on how to move forward and explore where I had on blinders; I was able to move forward I even took a Philosophy course to hone my critical thinking skills.. Some of the feedback I couldn’t even hear, some I didn’t like at all, some didn’t apply to me, and some actually really helped. I also have nurtured some awesome friendships too as a result. 

:wub:

Of course. People can choose what they do with any information another person offers and some chooses to stay where they're at. Which is pretty much the reason I quit trying to convince people of things. Basically it's "here's my opinion. Take it or leave it".

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Of course. People can choose what they do with any information another person offers and some chooses to stay where they're at. Which is pretty much the reason I quit trying to convince people of things. Basically it's "here's my opinion. Take it or leave it".

Indeed, I am not telling you anything you don’t already know. 

You do bring in a great point, folks go to great lengths to defend their reality tunnels even accusing others of condemnation, indicative of ones attachment to their beliefs. 

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 2

Just now, Sherapy said:

Indeed, I am not telling you anything you don’t already know. 

You do bring in a great point, folks go to great lengths to defend their reality tunnels even accusing others of condemnation. It is interesting. 

I think insecurities play a part in the bold rejection. I feel that if a person is truly secure in their beliefs, other ideas including contradictory ones are entertained though not embraced.  

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

I think insecurities play a part in the bold rejection. I feel that if a person is truly secure in their beliefs, other ideas including contradictory ones are entertained though not embraced.  

In thinking back, for me, it was a way to control the unknowns, wanting certainty. Being okay with I just don’t know or we have no way to know at this time was what I had to work through. 

Hammer said it yesterday, no one can bs us more than our own selves. :P

Can you expand on the insecurities aspect? I am interested in your thoughts.

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

In thinking back, for me, it was a way to control the unknowns, wanting certainty. Being okay with I just don’t know or we have no way to know at this time was what I had to work through. 

Hammer said it yesterday, no one can bs us more than our own selves. :P

Can you expand on the insecurities aspect? I am interested in your thoughts.

If you anchor yourself into a belief system and something comes along to invalidate or make you question it. A person may become insecure about it. On the other hand their beliefs might be a means of dealing with or masking their insecurities. 

I feel most of us need a sense of stability/control in life. If that is shaken up, hostility might result.

I mean look how many I got angry by saying that God is an Idea. That was a mess.

Edited by XenoFish
Can not spell today
  • Like 5

10 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

If you anchor yourself into a belief system and something comes along to invalidate or make you question it. A person may become insecure about it. On the other hand their beliefs might be a means of dealing with or masking their insecurities. 

I feel most of us need a sense of stability/control in life. If that is shaken up, hostility might result.

I mean look how many I got angry by saying that God is an Idea. That was a mess.

This is good insight. 

Well said.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

This is good insight. 

Well said.

Something thought about just a minute ago, the idea of testing God. Supposedly you're not allowed to do that. Isn't prayer basically putting God to the test? 

I could go with Faith + Actions + Consistency = Results

Yet how many are truly willing to exert their faith? I wonder that. I mean that guy who blows themselves up does.

Edited by XenoFish
  • Like 3

38 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

I agree with this.  A good example is the "christian" who insists on talking about their religion and condemning people who don't want to talk to them about it and the religious people who can have a normal conversation without once bringing up how godly they are.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

I agree with this.  A good example is the "christian" who insists on talking about their religion and condemning people who don't want to talk to them about it and the religious people who can have a normal conversation without once bringing up how godly they are.

Exactly.

• Like 2

On 11/5/2021 at 10:56 AM, eight bits said:

Threats and bullying are harm.

That's too bad, then.

I wouldn't characterize it as threats and bullying, but rather Jesus having a "zeal" for correcting the many falsehoods perpetrated by major religions at the time.
If you don't like how Jesus defended his Father, YHWH, in the face of many lies like purgatory, hellfire, and idol worship, then you should discuss it with him since you seem to know more than he does. :D

I was just posting this to other sites, so I figured I might as well as post it here too.

june252017.jpg

253715799_401259818131667_21968807460799

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sherapy said:

It took me awhile to accept that I was not right about Atheism being able to prove there was no god….

Atheists (mostly) do not claim to be able to prove no god(s) exist.

It is the lack of belief in god(s).

Full stop.

Whether you don't believe in a god or you claim there are no gods, both are atheists.

I know it's semantics and there are different usages, but simply put you are wrong in thinking that atheists or atheism claim to be able to prove gods don't exist.

Not looking for confrontation, but it seems a lot of people believe similarly that atheists proclaim there is no god or even so claim to be able to prove there is no god.

The way I see it, it would go like this :

"Do you believe there is a god?"

"Yes." = Theist.

"Do you believe there is a god?"

"No." = Atheist.

To tie it into the OP, I see this mode of thinking as harmful because some people strawman atheists into being an enemy.

They can feel it's a direct attack on them and their god if you say you're an atheist.

There could be the greatest politician in the world. They could have all the best ideas, flawless track record and beloved by all.

How many people would change their opinion on that person if they found out they were an atheist?

Sadly a large amount. 

As an atheist, I don't believe any gods, as I've had defined to me, exist.

I don't claim to know there are no gods. I don't even see how it would be possible to hold that position. 

Sure there can be self contradictory definitions that can be dismissed, but in my experience it's very, very rare for anyone to claim they can prove no gods exist.

Hope all is well.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Guess I'm at an odd position. Fully agnostic towards the non/existence of an actual God type thing. Atheistic towards the man-made culturally fabricated god/s.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, GoldenWolf said:

june252017.jpg

I just thought I would post what another source of information says Jesus actually said in this instance. Instead of what is recorded in Matthew.

“I came to bring peace on earth, but when men reject my gift, division and turmoil result. When all of a family receive the gospel of the kingdom, truly peace abides in that house; but when some of the family enter the kingdom and others reject the gospel, such division can produce only sorrow and sadness. Labor earnestly to save the whole family lest a man’s foes become those of his own household. 

Source

• Confused 1

17 minutes ago, onlookerofmayhem said:

Atheists (mostly) do not claim to be able to prove no god(s) exist.

It is the lack of belief in god(s).

Full stop.

Whether you don't believe in a god or you claim there are no gods, both are atheists.

I know it's semantics and there are different usages, but simply put you are wrong in thinking that atheists or atheism claim to be able to prove gods don't exist.

Not looking for confrontation, but it seems a lot of people believe similarly that atheists proclaim there is no god or even so claim to be able to prove there is no god.

The way I see it, it would go like this :

"Do you believe there is a god?"

"Yes." = Theist.

"Do you believe there is a god?"

"No." = Atheist.

To tie it into the OP, I see this mode of thinking as harmful because some people strawman atheists into being an enemy.

They can feel it's a direct attack on them and their god if you say you're an atheist.

There could be the greatest politician in the world. They could have all the best ideas, flawless track record and beloved by all.

How many people would change their opinion on that person if they found out they were an atheist?

Sadly a large amount. 

As an atheist, I don't believe any gods, as I've had defined to me, exist.

I don't claim to know there are no gods. I don't even see how it would be possible to hold that position. 

Sure there can be self contradictory definitions that can be dismissed, but in my experience it's very, very rare for anyone to claim they can prove no gods exist.

Hope all is well.

You can't prove a negative, if something exists you can prove it, if it doesn't exist you can't prove it doesn't except by the lack of evidence that it exists.   You can not ask an atheist to prove his/her position, only to ask why they have that position.   It is a weak position of a theist to insist on proof just as it is a weak position of an atheist to insist the theist show proof.  Everyone should know that there is no proof or the idea would not be disputed.

If anyone changes their feelings about someone because they found out they were an atheist that means they are  insecure in their beliefs in what ever deity they claim belief in.

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Like 3

• The topic was locked
  • The topic was unlocked