Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Harm Done By Religion

Doug1066

When I was a child I remember being taught we are all important before the eyes God in Church and that Jesus loves the children. We never even heard the other side of the scripture until we were older and read it on our own. Pretty sure it is against the Gospel rules to belittle a small child. Most people try to avoid doing that.

Mark 9:42

And whosoever shall offend one of these little ones that believe in me, it is better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and he were cast into the sea.

King James Version (KJV)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, The_Phantom_Stranger said:

Pretty sure it is against the Gospel rules to belittle a small child.

Don't belittle them, but it's okay to murder them?

Said "the Lord" :

Samuel 15 : 3

3 Now go and smite Amalek, and utterly adestroy all that they have, and spare them not; but slay both man and woman, infant and suckling, ox and sheep, camel and ass.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, Mr Walker said:

P.S.  I think that photo has been altered or photo shopped.

It doesn't matter because there isn't a bit of truth to it.

6 hours ago, The_Phantom_Stranger said:

When I was a child I remember being taught we are all important before the eyes God in Church and that Jesus loves the children. We never even heard the other side of the scripture until we were older and read it on our own. Pretty sure it is against the Gospel rules to belittle a small child. Most people try to avoid doing that.

Well, reality is, besides kids, seems that 'ol God was bent on killing as much as he could whenever his twisted viewpoints warranted it:

Kill...!.jpeg

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Phantom309 said:

Well, reality is, besides kids, seems that 'ol God was bent on killing as much as he could whenever his twisted viewpoints warranted it:

Kill...!.jpeg

Blood for the Blood God, Skulls for the Skull Throne!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 10/26/2021 at 10:45 PM, jmccr8 said:

Hi Larry

And that reason would be....., what exactly?

There's a time when YHWH will correct things on earth; it's called the Appointed Times.

Edited by larryp
The details!
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, larryp said:

There's a time when YHWH will correct things on earth; it's called the appointed times.

Why not just not muck it up in the first place?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, GlitterRose said:

Remember, YHWH doesn't reckon time the same as a human does. But the appointed times are here!!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, larryp said:

But the appointed times are here!!

Sweet. When does all the biblical chaos start? I'm look forward to that 7 headed dragon. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, GlitterRose said:

This universe/reality is in beta testing. God hasn't worked out the "follow my orders" command yet. Still some debugging to do. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, larryp said:

Remember, YHWH doesn't reckon time the same as a human does. But the appointed times are here!!

So, you never have kissed a girl.:rolleyes:

• Haha 5

2 hours ago, larryp said:

There's a time when YHWH will correct things on earth; it's called the Appointed Times.

Hi Larry so how will all the killing during the appointed time and all the killing that will happen up to the appointed time and what is the point?:huh:

• Like 2

Just now, jmccr8 said:

Hi Larry so how will all the killing during the appointed time and all the killing that will happen up to the appointed time and what is the point?:huh:

larryp, the anointed one, has been born into the world, with the numbers 666, blazing on his forehead. Now do you understand?:devil:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Hammerclaw said:

larryp, the anointed one, has been born into the world, with the numbers 666, blazing on his forehead. Now do you understand?:devil:

Hi Hammer

I have a pail of gas we can throw on him and then we can make smores and sing songs, like "we are falling into sin":lol:

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, jmccr8 said:

Hi Hammer

I have a pail of gas we can throw on him and then we can make smores and sing songs, like "we are falling into sin":lol:

Better we just play Don't Fear The Reaper and burn one and pass it around--do you think? Besides, don't his kind get raptured or something?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, jmccr8 said:

Hi Hammer

Not sure as this one seems more ruptured to me.:huh:

The Farce runs deep in him, for sure. Must be a student of ole Okie ben Fenokee.

• Haha 1

Just now, Hammerclaw said:

The Farce runs deep in him, for sure. Must be a student of ole Okie ben Fenokee.

Herniated heinie it is then.:lol:

3 minutes ago, jmccr8 said:

Herniated heinie it is then.:lol:

Anal Retentive.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, GlitterRose said:

Yea, if we muck it up, he will come perhaps. Kinda Like "Field of Dreams" 

I want to be Shoeless Joe Jackson if it all happens. I'll go out with a Home Run down the line.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Phantom309 said:

Mr W. - it could very well be - but the messages about science, and about religion - are spot on.

I guess in some places, especially in parts of America, they  might be (any place where a holistic  education ( including sciences and human history)  is undervalued or lacking, can experience this )  but my experience is different. 

In general humans require the benefits of both science and faith/spirituality  to be complete and happy .

Science looks after our material needs, while faith and spirituality look after our psychological needs . 

Religion  (rather than faith/belief/spirituality, is an optional extra. often indulged in for social reasons. 

Here, religion is a positive force. Australia  is one of the few places where, historically, the better educated you were, the more religious you were.

And, generally, world wide studies show that people with a positive faith, OR who regularly attend any form of   a  positive  church  live longer, healthier, lives than people of the same cohort who do not. 

On 9/2/2021 at 6:59 PM, Doug1066 said:

On the north end of Boulder, Colorado back in the early 1990s was a “gentleman’s club” known as the Bustop.  It was owned by an elderly gentleman whose health was failing and could no longer run it.  He put it up for sale and after several months on the market, a young man offered to buy it.  But he couldn’t get a bank to lend him the money.  The old man suggested an owner-financed sale.  In return for a set monthly installment, he would deed the club to the young man, keeping a lien on it until it was paid off.

Things went along well for a couple years, but the old man’s health was still declining so he had a will made up, leaving everything, including the mortgage to the club, to the Presbyterian Church.  When the old man died, the church inherited the mortgage on the strip club.

But business was not what it should be.  The young man could not make a go of the club, so he underwent voluntary foreclosure and gave it to the church.  The church thought of closing down the club and selling the property, but their real estate agent advised them that an operating business would bring a much greater price than an empty building.  Thus, the Presbyterian Church became the operator of a strip club.

After a few months of selling out their ideals, they found another buyer and could once again adopt their holier-than-thou attitude.

I have never known a religious institution that couldn’t sell out the Lord for the right price.

Jesus Christ’s closest confidant was likely Mary Magdalene, a former prostitute.

When the conservatives in His day tried to stone a prostitute, He stopped them and saved her life.

Your example is about as naïve an argument as I have ever seen here.

Then Mary took about a pint of pure nard, an expensive perfume; she poured it on Jesus’ feet and wiped his feet with her hair. And the house was filled with the fragrance of the perfume.

But one of his disciples, Judas Iscariot, who was later to betray him, objected. John 12:3-4

This was essentially a lap dance …. Or an anointing, depending upon your perspective. I think it was a little of both, but I wouldn’t dare judge a good man about to be crucified on a tree, for my sake, for any reason. 

I'm beginning to think that religion creates a strange type of brain damage in certain people. A spiritual narcissism of sorts. Perhaps a "holy" sociopathy.

• Like 4

• The topic was locked
  • The topic was unlocked