Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Harm Done By Religion


Doug1066
 Share

Recommended Posts

9 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

We need a thread on all the great advice from grandma’s :D

We need a chat with our resident grand mamas... 

Old school wisdom travels time well too, remember that gem of a Zen,

"it's not the destination but the journey..."

~

 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/18/2021 at 12:26 PM, XenoFish said:

A book written by people. . . " 

. . . and verified by archeology, geology, history, and historians. All of them can't be lying, Fish

  • Haha 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, larryp said:

. . . and verified by archeology, geology, history, and historians. All of them can't be lying, Fish

Historic fiction. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Sherapy said:

We need a thread on all the great advice from grandma’s :D:wub:

There's a little irony in light of a beloved fellow poster who goes on and on about how different humans are than other animals, But that's one way in which we humans really do have an advantage over our companions, that we can preserve across generations the wisdom of our ancestors.

It's not an unalloyed blessing, since we also unwittingly preserve their superstitions and their rationalizations thereof, as the beloved poster shows us by example, ...  but then where would we be as a species without a few grand challenges, like separating the wheat from the chaff in the great storehouse we've all inherited?

 

10 hours ago, Doug1066 said:

But "Christianity" has corrupted it into Halloween, a time of evil spirits and demons.  I propose we abolish Halloween with its evil connotations and return to the celebration of the harvest.

This is a tough one for me. I like to read, in moderation, things that I'm likely to disagree with. So, I don't endorse either this blogger or what's on his site in general, Also, some people suspect that despite presenting himself as an atheist, that the blogger, Tim O'Neill, is really a Christian apologist (not that we here at UM would ever have encountered anybody like that). And finally, although this article is clean and family friendly, Tim often indulges in Richard Carrier-style personal attacks on those who disagree with him.

Nevertheless, in the tradition of the broken clock that is right twice a day, I offer for your consideration a competent argument in favor of  maybe the Christians didn't steal this one from the pagans. I did some elementary fact-checking, and some of the key factual points seem to have held up well, but still, no endorsement, just food for thought.

https://historyforatheists.com/2021/10/is-halloween-pagan/

 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Sherapy said:

We need a thread on all the great advice from grandma’s :D:wub:

 

 

"You'll never amount to anything."

"Little b******." 

"Not even god loves you."

"Why do you exist."

Thanks granny you did a good job scaring a 5 year old. :tu:

Grandpa on the other hand (the good one) always told me he loved me and did his best to encourage me. 

"Do your best to be your best" I'm trying pop's. 

  • Like 2
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, XenoFish said:

"You'll never amount to anything."

"Little b******." 

"Not even god loves you."

"Why do you exist."

Thanks granny you did a good job scaring a 5 year old. :tu:

Grandpa on the other hand (the good one) always told me he loved me and did his best to encourage me. 

"Do your best to be your best" I'm trying pop's. 

Is your grandma still alive? Did she raise you? 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

Is your grandma still alive? Did she raise you? 

Nope, she's been dead for over a year. My mother and I lived with her for little over a year. Back when my dad was an alcoholic. She took every chance she had to belittle me. Kinda makes me hope that hell exist. 

Found out not to long ago that my other grandma who died in 2011, didn't care much for me either. 

My other grandfather (not the good one) is still alive and bat**** crazy.

Edited by XenoFish
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, larryp said:

. . . and verified by archeology, geology, history, and historians. All of them can't be lying, Fish

Yea, those guys that did the writing, they truly had their stuff together.....let's hitch our wagon to these characters, they surely "know"......

Guys who wrote it.jpeg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, XenoFish said:

I see absolutely no point in religion and how some are so obsessed/fanatical about it. It's like I can't process "why?".

If that's wrong then I have the same problem.   It makes no sense to me.  I get wishful thinking, but when there is evidence to bely it why keep wishing and why chastise anyone who disagrees.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, XenoFish said:

Nope, she's been dead for over a year. My mother and I lived with her for little over a year. Back when my dad was an alcoholic. She took every chance she had to belittle me. Kinda makes me hope that hell exist. 

Found out not to long ago that my other grandma who died in 2011, didn't care much for me either. 

My other grandfather (not the good one) is still alive and bat**** crazy.

Hey, well I think we care for you Xeno, a darn savvy, wily, humorous, and sage contributor....! 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Sherapy said:

Habit? I just don’t know.

I think you might have something.  It is like an addiction.  I recognize sometimes that it is because of a drug addict cousin of mine, who, when she wanted to get clean always went back to a church, until she joined the mormon church and then she always went back to them.   I think they were more helpful than any of the others, more kind about their judgements and genuinely did help her.  But it was either drugs or "Holy Father... this and that", the difference was she could hold down a job and have a reasonable conversation, as long as everyone ignored the "Holy Father" stuff.

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

If that's wrong then I have the same problem.   It makes no sense to me.  I get wishful thinking, but when there is evidence to bely it why keep wishing and why chastise anyone who disagrees.

I get wishful thinking. I even understand things like "the law of attraction" and how spells work in magick. I mean it's literally just engineered selective attention/confirmation bias. But religious fanaticism and even just blind devotion is beyond me. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I know it's possible to have faith in a higher power without being a self righteous turd.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, larryp said:

. . . and verified by archeology, geology, history, and historians. All of them can't be lying, Fish

Where are Jesus' bones?   where is a record of both Mary's?   And historians do lie, all the time.  If you are old enough you might remember when Brevit general George Custer was a hero in the history books.   That was a lie, he wasn't even a general;  just like the lies about Don Juan Onate and that Christobal Colon was convinced the earth was flat, another lie.

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, XenoFish said:

"You'll never amount to anything."

"Little b******." 

"Not even god loves you."

"Why do you exist."

Thanks granny you did a good job scaring a 5 year old. :tu:

Grandpa on the other hand (the good one) always told me he loved me and did his best to encourage me. 

"Do your best to be your best" I'm trying pop's. 

I'm glad you had one supportive, loving grand parent.  Sometimes one who loves you and lets you know it can out weigh the 3 who hate themselves so much they can't love a child.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Doug1066 said:

But "Christianity" has corrupted it into Halloween, a time of evil spirits and demons.  I propose we abolish Halloween with its evil connotations and return to the celebration of the harvest.

But I kinda like the evil connotations...  I'll admit it's not the same as when I was a kid, but what a crazy holiday when you're that age; you get to dress up, there's a little 'scary' edginess to it, and people just give you candy for free?!  And instead go back to celebrating the harvest, something that a good chunk of my country at least has little concept or awareness of?  What, are we going to give kids gourds and Indian corn to celebrate?  I'm solidly Team Bulging-Bag-of-Candy.

Ha, just kidding, I do like the harvesty/autumn aspects of Halloween time also.  If nothing else Halloween helps keep the idea of real evil spirits and demons in the realm of childlike fantasy and silly, which I think is a plus.  Halloween responded to Christianity's corruption by helping show that:

image.png.fbdfe4d584c07664edb39d26dd4bb318.png..

...is how scary the Devil shouldn't really be to people.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Christianity gives people an inferiority complex from the beginning. Supposedly our ancestors didn't follow the rules and we're all flawed because of it. Where we'll never be good enough. No matter how good a person you are. Then it takes the murder of another human to pay for this supposed sin. Right there you have both an inferiority and guilt complex. 

Sin this, Sin that, even what you think is a sin. I see this as being no different that constantly telling a kid they're stupid at every mistake.

 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Mr Walker said:

They have their own evolutionary advantages 

Humans may be out colonising the galaxy while cockroaches are still the same old same old :) 

Yeah, and travelling along with us, heh.

And, if we finally manage to kill eachother off using nukes (WWIII), billions of them will still be around. They can survive extremely high levels of radiation.

But yeah, they will be the same old same old.

And alive.

Edited to get somewhat back on topic:

Maybe their DNA is more efficient than our religions, logic, and whatever we consider typical human accomplishments.

They were here many millions of years before us, and somehow their DNA was able to withstand /cope with the radiation coming from nearby pulsars, exploding stars and whatnot.

Edited by Abramelin
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, XenoFish said:

Christianity gives people an inferiority complex from the beginning. Supposedly our ancestors didn't follow the rules and we're all flawed because of it. Where we'll never be good enough. No matter how good a person you are. Then it takes the murder of another human to pay for this supposed sin. Right there you have both an inferiority and guilt complex. 

Sin this, Sin that, even what you think is a sin. I see this as being no different that constantly telling a kid they're stupid at every mistake.

 

I will bet that if Jesus was ever a real living person, he would very probably puke over what we made of his teachings.

Christianity that is.

  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Abramelin said:

I will bet that if Jesus was ever a real living person, he would very probably puke over what we made of his teachings.

Christianity that is.

I figure the original idea is basically selflessness. Do unto other, judge not. Trust in a greater power. Pray and act in accordance to one's faith. Not the ideological monstrosity it is now. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Desertrat56 said:

 And historians do lie, all the time.  If you are old enough you might remember when Brevit general George Custer was a hero in the history books.   That was a lie, he wasn't even a general;  just like the lies about Don Juan Onate and that Christobal Colon was convinced the earth was flat, another lie.

So do scientists:

The Piltdown Man was a paleoanthropological fraud in which bone fragments were presented as the fossilised remains of a previously unknown early human. So, you see, it's hard to prop up a lie.  :D . . .

Edited by larryp
the details!
  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Kindness doesn't cost a penny, but it's worth is without measure. Most of all, charity begins at home; be kind to yourself. You weren't born into this world with a manual of instruction, just a book of blank pages. On those pages you are writing the best you can, the sums of life experiences. You were not made perfect, nor were you ever meant to be. You make mistakes, take wrong turns, choose unwisely, hurt others and most of all, hurt yourself. You learn from pain inflicted and self inflicted wounds not to make mistakes, choose the right road, the right choices, spare others hurt and how not to hurt yourself. You experience sadness and sorrow, intermingled with love and joy; how to live your life, giving of yourself love and joy to others, having compassion for others and yourself through life's trials and tribulations. You are a good person, worthy of understanding, compassion and forgiveness. Remember, you must give these three things to yourself, first, before you can give them to others. You are a candle, shining in the darkness between the Earth and it's Star. Shine Brightly.

Edited by Hammerclaw
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, larryp said:

So do scientists:

The Piltdown Man was a paleoanthropological fraud in which bone fragments were presented as the fossilised remains of a previously unknown early human. So, you see, it's hard to prop up a lie.  :D . . .

Yep, hiumans do that for a lot of different reasons.  But not all science is a lie, and no religion is The TRUTH.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Hammerclaw said:

Kindness doesn't cost a penny, but it's worth is without measure. Most of all, charity begins at home; be kind to yourself. You weren't born into this world with a manual of instruction, just a book of blank pages. On those pages you are writing the best you can, the sums of life experiences. You were not made perfect, nor were you ever meant to be. You make mistakes, take wrong turns, choose unwisely, hurt others and, most of all, hurt yourself. You learn from pain inflicted and self inflicted wounds not to make mistakes, choose the right road, the right choices, spare others hurt and how not to hurt yourself. You experience sadness and sorrow, intermingled with love and joy; how to live your life, giving of yourself love and joy to others, having compassion for others and yourself through life's trials and tribulations. You are a good person, worthy of of understanding, compassion and forgiveness. Remember, you must give these three things to yourself, first, before you can give them to others. You are a candle, shining in the darkness between the Earth and it's Star. Shine Brightly.

That's kind of the point. Why shame people for being human? We are all capable of both wonders and horrors. The only magic we really have is in what we say and what we do. 

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Liquid Gardens said:

". . . you get to dress up, there's a little 'scary' edginess to it . . ." 

image.png.fbdfe4d584c07664edb39d26dd4bb318.png..

 

YHWH

That's because you're playing with demons!!

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • The topic was locked
  • The topic was unlocked
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.