Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Harm Done By Religion

Doug1066

1 hour ago, Mr Walker said:

This is a review of other studies.  It does not, in-and-of itself demonstrate anything.  It is more of a literature review.  It doesn't even mention randomized design or give any information about how research subjects were chosen.  There can be considerable bias in unrandomized designs.  It does refer to quite a number of other studies.  If there is any evidence of a positive effect of religion/spirituality, it must be in those other studies.

43 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

This is not a peer-reviewed paper.  It does not describe any test or experiment.  It says that people who live in "blue zones (faith-based communities)" live longer than people not part of a faith-based community, but presents no data or reasoning process to support that conclusion.  It suggests a number of reasons why people might live longer, such as, better diets, regular exercise, moderate alcohol consumption, good spiritual, family and social networks, but makes no effort to determine which combination might be responsible,  The paper is not a research paper and spends most of its space talking about a "zone diet."

https://www.forbes.com/sites/nicolefisher/2019/03/29/science-says-religion-is-good-for-your-health/?sh=79dfbb583a12

This is an article in Forbes.  It is not peer-reviewed.  A genuine research article would normally have 20 to 30 citations and some have upwards of 150.  This has none.  The author provides a link so a reader can check out her other articles. They are a collection of how-to-improve-your-life artcies and do not mention spirituality or religion.  Most of the space is taken up by an article on intelligent machines.

OK.  You don't have any research articles and I won't ask for any.  It might be a good idea to start another thread on this topic

Doug

Edited by Doug1066
  • Thanks 3

57 minutes ago, Mr Walker said:

Australia 

Oklahoma is said to be where the football belt meets the Bible belt.  I guess in Australia you have something similar.\

Doug

22 hours ago, Phantom309 said:

Doug, thanks a ton, I never knew all that.

Over the years I've had a couple "good" Christian types do their best to convince me Hitler and his gang were all atheists, and that was the root of their horrible deeds. 

I will argue in a later post that Christianity, itself, was the root of those deeds.

Doug

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Mr Walker said:

That is your perception, and  it may be your experience, but clinical studies show that older peole in  aged care/nursing homes also are happier, longer lived, and in better health, if the y have a positive spiritual faith.

Often we tend to see what we want to see.

Looking at academic/ unbiased studies gives a more accurate picture 

In the following piece i learned something I didn't know. ie tha t religious faith can slow the onset of dementia

Spirituality is a significant part of many people’s lives, and it can become even more important as we grow older. A study by the University of Chicago found belief in god tends to increase with age, especially for those older than 68. Luckily for these spiritual seniors, faith practices come with a host of health benefits.

For example, spirituality can improve quality for life for seniors with dementia. Practicing a religion can help slow cognitive decline and reduce or stabilize cognitive disorders, according to International Psychogeriatrics. The use of spirituality in daily life enables those with dementia to preserve relationships, maintain hope and find meaning.

“Dementia may seem to mask the need for spirituality, but the reality is that, from my experience, cognitive impairment does not eclipse our innate need as human beings for inner peace, comfort, prayer, and rituals,” says Sister Karen Kielb, a Chaplain at Mercy Retirement & Care Center.

Another benefit of spirituality is the strong sense of community that is at the heart of most faith groups. People form and strengthen relationships through their faith, whether it’s by attending group services or just praying with a friend.

Opportunities for social interactions are especially important to seniors, who are at risk of becoming isolated as they age. Staying social not only reduces loneliness and depression, but can also potentially reduce the risk of cardiovascular problems, Alzheimer’s disease and some cancers.

https://eldercarealliance.org/blog/seniors-and-spirituality-health-benefits-of-faith/

Ps you are right about the use of faith constructs as psychological tools,  but then that is rather my point. They WORK  (sometimes for the reasons you describe)  So does having a pet, but that is often not allowed in nursing homes. So does having a loving partner, but for many elderly they have lost that.  

Ha ha ha ha ha on faith preventing dementia, you believe any ole thing. In a fantasy perhaps, but not actuality.

‘’As Doug has asked it is best to start your own thread.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

37 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

Working as a professional caregiver, you would be surprised how many drop religion as having outgrown it at the last part of their life and for those that don’t what seems to be the attraction is the tailor made up support system, it helps a person hang in there, have someone pretend to vent too, self validate, agree with everything they think, say or do or choose etc.. I find it interesting how people apply their god constructs. 

But, a faith in a creator in and of itself isn’t gonna give anyone better health, maintaining a healthy weight, eating right, exercising, social support, consistent love and affection, sleeping enough, novel experiences, getting out and experiencing things, going to the doctor and dentist are the things you want to do for longevity and quality of life.

Very very well said my friend, I hope your trip went well and I also hope you and your family are well. I hope you don't mind if i inject another issue that is currently going on in America. Currently Evangelical Christians are pushing their Anti-abortion doctrine again and they influencing the Political Environment in the state of Texas, and to some extent the Supreme Court who are no longer supporting Roe verse Wade. For me personally I am very tired of Extreme Religious involvement in the Politics of the United States. We had to deal with it during the Trump Administration with Evangelicals and Zionist Christians influencing foreign policy decisions in the Middle East.

I suppose my question is who the hell do these people think they are and why would Poitical organizations even try to help them push their Extremely Twisted Religious beliefs on all Americans Nationwide. In my opinion these Extremist Christian Organizations need to be stopped, and stopped quickly before their fanatical control disrupts our Nation and it's policies any further. I also believe they have no right to take control of any women's body and tell them what is and isn't exceptable concerning their health.

Peace my friend, i value your opinion, and I would like to hear your thoughts on this situation!:tu:

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Doug1066 said:

OK.  You don't have any research articles and I won't ask for any.  It might be a good idea to start another thread on this topic

He likely doesn't realize that you're a scientist, who can easily see through whatever BS articles he picks up from his cursory Google searches. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

15 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

Very very well said my friend, I hope your trip went well and I also hope you and your family are well. I hope you don't mind if i inject another issue that is currently going on in America. Currently Evangelical Christians are pushing their Anti-abortion doctrine again and they influencing the Political Environment in the state of Texas, and to some extent the Supreme Court who are no longer supporting Roe verse Wade. For me personally I am very tired of Extreme Religious involvement in the Politics of the United States. We had to deal with it during the Trump Administration with Evangelicals and Zionist Christians influencing foreign policy decisions in the Middle East.

I suppose my question is who the hell do these people think they are and why would Poitical organizations even try to help them push their Extremely Twisted Religious beliefs on all Americans Nationwide. In my opinion these Extremist Christian Organizations need to be stopped, and stopped quickly before their fanatical control disrupts our Nation and it's policies any further. I also believe they have no right to take control of any women's body and tell them what is and isn't exceptable concerning their health.

Peace my friend, i value your opinion, and I would like to hear your thoughts on this situation!:tu:

I will pm you, so as to not derail. :wub:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Nuclear Wessel said:

He likely doesn't realize that you're a scientist, who can easily see through whatever BS articles he picks up from his cursory Google searches. 

That is what I thought too, MW doesn’t know he is talking to a scientist, perhaps he will learn something. :P

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

‘’As Doug has asked it is best to start your own thread.  

I didn't mean that Mr. Walker wasn't welcome on this thread.  If he wants to refute something I have posted, that's fine.  It's encouraged.  But whatever one posts, one should be ready to back it up and articles on intelligent machines aren't going to get the job done.

Doug

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Doug1066 said:

I didn't mean that Mr. Walker wasn't welcome on this thread.  If he wants to refute something I have posted, that's fine.  It's encouraged.  But whatever one posts, one should be ready to back it up and articles on intelligent machines aren't going to get the job done.

Doug

Works for me :D Good to have you back posting Doug as always you are interesting to read. 

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

Works for me :D Good to have you back posting Doug as always you are interesting to read. 

I seem to remember you looking a lot like Katniss Aberdeen and carrying a bow.  My how you've changed.

Doug

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Will Due said:

But Doug, so were a lot of atheists. 

True.  Atheists have often had to go underground for fear of the religious communities around them.

Doug

4 minutes ago, Doug1066 said:

I seem to remember you looking a lot like Katniss Aberdeen and carrying a bow.  My how you've changed.

Doug

Changed for the better or worse? :P

Edited by Sherapy

4 minutes ago, Doug1066 said:

Better. Better.  You look great - if that's really you.

Doug

Yes, that is really me and thank you for your kind words. 

2 hours ago, Doug1066 said:

Moravian missionaries

In western Kansas not far from Stone Post, is a little town named Dunkard.  The local Church of the Brethren (Moravian) has put up a sign along I-70:  "The Dunkard Church of the Brethren welcomes you."   But the writing is small and the natural tendency is to read an "r" into Dunkard.  There have been a lot of double-takes along that stretch of highway.

Doug

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Doug1066 said:

This is a review of other studies.  It does not, in-and-of itself demonstrate anything.  It is more of a literature review.  It doesn't even mention randomized design or give any information about how research subjects were chosen.  There can be considerable bias in unrandomized designs.  It does refer to quite a number of other studies.  If there is any evidence of a positive effect of religion/spirituality, it must be in those other studies.

This is not a peer-reviewed paper.  It does not describe any test or experiment.  It says that people who live in "blue zones (faith-based communities)" live longer than people not part of a faith-based community, but presents no data or reasoning process to support that conclusion.  It suggests a number of reasons why people might live longer, such as, better diets, regular exercise, moderate alcohol consumption, good spiritual, family and social networks, but makes no effort to determine which combination might be responsible,  The paper is not a research paper and spends most of its space talking about a "zone diet."

https://www.forbes.com/sites/nicolefisher/2019/03/29/science-says-religion-is-good-for-your-health/?sh=79dfbb583a12

This is an article in Forbes.  It is not peer-reviewed.  A genuine research article would normally have 20 to 30 citations and some have upwards of 150.  This has none.  The author provides a link so a reader can check out her other articles. They are a collection of how-to-improve-your-life artcies and do not mention spirituality or religion.  Most of the space is taken up by an article on intelligent machines.

Doug

I gave you the review of other studies first precisely because it was an overview.

At first I wasn't going to bother trying to convince you at all but thought that  article was a good read.

If you think I am wrong based on your beliefs,  then you go researching and try to find if /where I am wrong. 

Ps You realise that many such articles give their own  scholarly  sources at the end and  that you can access them yourself  I dont have the time to re-prove this to everyone who  has ever heard of it before  It is like being asked to prove that the earth is not flat but an oblate spheroid.

Koenigs summation, for example provides over 600 sources that you might find interesting 

here are the first 100 :) 

1. Koenig HG, King DE, Carson VB. Handbook of Religion and Health. 2nd edition. New York, NY, USA: Oxford University Press; 2012. A history of religion, medicine, and healthcare; pp. 15–34. [Google Scholar]

2. Koenig HG. Faith and Mental Health: Religious Resources For Healing. Conshohocken, Pa, USA: Templeton Press; 2005. [Google Scholar]

3. See website: http://www.d.umn.edu/cla/faculty/tbacig/studproj/is3099/pplfrst/Untitled1.html, 2012.

4. Restoration and 18th Century Studies in English, http://instruct.uwo.ca/english/234e/site/bckgrnds/maps/lndnmpbedlam.html, 2012.

5. Gamwell L, Tomes N. Madness in America: Cultural and Medical Perceptions of Mental Illness Before 1914. New York, NY, USA: Cornell University Press; 1995. [Google Scholar]

6. Taubes T. ’Healthy avenues of the mind’: psychological theory building and the influence of religion during the era of moral treatment. American Journal of Psychiatry. 1998;155(8):1001–1008. [PubMed] [Google Scholar]

7. See website: http://friendshospital.com/about/timeline/, 2012.

8. Freud S. Obsessive acts and religious practices. In: Strachey J, editor. Sigmund Freud: Collected Papers. Vol. 8. New York, NY, USA: Basic Books; 1907. pp. 25–35. [Google Scholar]

9. Freud S. Psycho-analysis and religious origins. In: Strachey J, editor. Sigmund Freud: Collected Papers. Vol. 2. New York: Basic Books; 1919. pp. 92–97. [Google Scholar]

10. Freud S. Future of an Illusion. In: Strachey J, editor. The Standard Edition of the Complete Psychological Works of Sigmund Freud. London, UK: Hogarth Press and the Institute of Psycho-Analysis; 1927. pp. 1953–1973. [Google Scholar]

11. Freud S. Moses and monotheism. In: Strachey J, editor. The Standard Edition of the Complete Psychological Works of Sigmund Freud. London, UK: Hogarth Press and the Institute of Psycho-Analysis; 1939. pp. 1953–1973. [Google Scholar]

12. Larson DB, Thielman SB, Greenwold MA, et al. Religious content in the DSM-III-R glossary of technical terms. American Journal of Psychiatry. 1993;150(12):1884–1885. [PubMed] [Google Scholar]

13. Koenig HG. Religion and mental health: what are psychiatrists doing and should do? Psychiatric Bulletin. 2008;32(6):201–203. [Google Scholar]

14. Dein S, Cook CCH, Powell A, Eagger S. Religion, spirituality and mental health. The Psychiatrist. 2010;34:63–64. [Google Scholar]

15. Poole R, Cook CCH. Praying with a patient constitutes a breach of professional boundaries in psychiatric practice. British Journal of Psychiatry. 2011;199(2):94–98. [PubMed] [Google Scholar]

16. Curlin FA, Lawrence RE, Odell S, et al. Religion, spirituality, and medicine: psychiatrists’ and other physicians’ differing observations, interpretations, and clinical approaches. American Journal of Psychiatry. 2007;164(12):1825–1831. [PMC free article] [PubMed] [Google Scholar]

17. Koenig HG, King DE, Carson VB. Handbook of Religion and Health. 2nd edition. New York, NY, USA: Oxford University Press; 2012. [Google Scholar]

18. Koenig HG. Concerns about measuring “spirituality” in research. Journal of Nervous and Mental Disease. 2008;196(5):349–355. [PubMed] [Google Scholar]

19. Tsuang MT, Simpson JC. Commentary on Koenig (2008): ‘Concerns about measuring “Spirituality” in research’ Journal of Nervous and Mental Disease. 2008;196(8):647–649. [PubMed] [Google Scholar]

20. Koenig HG. Spirituality and Health Research: Methods, Measurement, Statistics, and Resources. Philadelphia, Pa, USA: Templeton Foundation Press; 2011. Definitions; pp. 193–206. [Google Scholar]

21. Koenig HG, King DE, Carson VB. Handbook of Religion and Health. 2nd edition. New York, NY, USA: Oxford University Press; 2012. [Google Scholar]

22. Koenig HG, King DE, Carson VB. Handbook of Religion and Health. 2nd edition. New York, NY, USA: Oxford University Press; 2012. [Google Scholar]

23. Koenig HG, McCullough ME, Larson DB. Handbook of Religion and Health. 1st edition. New York, NY, USA: Oxford University Press; 2001. [Google Scholar]

24. Koenig HG, King DE, Carson VB. Handbook of Religion and Health. 2nd edition. New York, NY, USA: Oxford University Press; 2012. [Google Scholar]

25. Cooper HM. The IntegrAted ReseArch Review: A SystemAtic ApproAch. Vol. 2. Beverly Hills, Calif, USA: Sage Publications; 1984. [Google Scholar]

26. Landis JR, Koch GG. The measurement of observer agreement for categorical data. Biometrics. 1977;33(1):159–174. [PubMed] [Google Scholar]

27. Koenig HG, McCullough ME, Larson DB. Handbook of Religion and Health. 1st edition. New York, NY, USA: Oxford University Press; 2001. [Google Scholar]

28. Koenig HG. Religious beliefs and practices of hospitalized medically ill older adults. International Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry. 1998;13:213–224. [PubMed] [Google Scholar]

29. Pargament KI, Koenig HG, Tarakeshwar N, Hahn J. Religious coping methods as predictors of psychological, physical and spiritual outcomes among medically ill elderly patients: a two-year longitudinal study. Journal of Health Psychology. 2004;9(6):713–730. [PubMed] [Google Scholar]

30. Büssing A, Michalsen A, Balzat HJ, et al. Are spirituality and religiosity resources for patients with chronic pain conditions? Pain Medicine. 2009;10(2):327–339. [PubMed] [Google Scholar]

31. Tix AP, Frazier PA. The use of religious coping during stressful life events: main effects, moderation, and mediation. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology. 1998;66(2):411–422. [PubMed] [Google Scholar]

32. Zaldívar A, Smolowitz J. Perceptions of the importance placed on religion and folk medicine by non-Mexican-American Hispanic adults with diabetes. The Diabetes educator. 1994;20(4):303–306. [PubMed] [Google Scholar]

33. Fitchett G, Murphy PE, Kim J, Gibbons JL, Cameron JR, Davis JA. Religious struggle: prevalence, correlates and mental health risks in diabetic, congestive heart failure, and oncology patients. International Journal of Psychiatry in Medicine. 2004;34(2):179–196. [PubMed] [Google Scholar]

34. Sodergren SC, Hyland ME, Crawford A, Partridge MR. Positivity in illness: self-delusion or existential. British Journal of Health Psychology. 2004;9(2):163–174. [PubMed] [Google Scholar]

35. Yoshimoto SM, Ghorbani S, Baer JM, et al. Religious coping and problem-solving by couples faced with prostate cancer. European Journal of Cancer Care. 2006;15(5):481–488. [PubMed] [Google Scholar]

36. Shaw B, Han JY, Kim E, et al. Effects of prayer and religious expression within computer support groups on women with breast cancer. Psycho-Oncology. 2007;16(7):676–687. [PubMed] [Google Scholar]

37. Cooper-Effa M, Blount W, Kaslow N, Rothenberg R, Eckman J. Role of spirituality in patients with sickle cell disease. Journal of the American Board of Family Practice. 2001;14(2):116–122. [PubMed] [Google Scholar]

38. Hughes JW, Tomlinson A, Blumenthal JA, Davidson J, Sketch MH, Watkins LL. Social support and religiosity as coping strategies for anxiety in hospitalized cardiac patients. Annals of Behavioral Medicine. 2004;28(3):179–185. [PubMed] [Google Scholar]

39. Ai AL, Park CL, Bu Huang, Rodgers W, Tice TN. Psychosocial mediation of religious coping styles: a study of short-term psychological distress following cardiac surgery. Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin. 2007;33(6):867–882. [PubMed] [Google Scholar]

40. Heydecke G, Tedesco LA, Kowalski C, Inglehart MR. Complete dentures and oral health-related quality of life—do coping styles matter? Community Dentistry and Oral Epidemiology. 2004;32(4):297–306. [PubMed] [Google Scholar]

41. Magyar-Russell G, Fosarelli P, Taylor H, Finkelstein D. Ophthalmology patients’ religious and spiritual beliefs: an opportunity to build trust in the patient-physician relationship. Archives of Ophthalmology. 2008;126(9):1262–1265. [PubMed] [Google Scholar]

42. Giaquinto S, Spiridigliozzi C, Caracciolo B. Can faith protect from emotional distress after stroke? Stroke. 2007;38(3):993–997. [PubMed] [Google Scholar]

43. Cotton S, Puchalski CM, Sherman SN, et al. Spirituality and religion in patients with HIV/AIDS. Journal of General Internal Medicine. 2006;21(5):S5–S13. [PMC free article] [PubMed] [Google Scholar]

44. Rinaldi S, Ghisi M, Iaccarino L, et al. Influence of coping skills on health-related quality of life in patients with systemic lupus erythematosus. Arthritis Care and Research. 2006;55(3):427–433. [PubMed] [Google Scholar]

45. Kuttner L, Chambers CT, Hardial J, Israel DM, Jacobson K, Evans K. A randomized trial of yoga for adolescents with irritable bowel syndrome. Pain Research and Management. 2006;11(4):217–223. [PMC free article] [PubMed] [Google Scholar]

46. Abraído-Lanza AF, Vásquez E, Echeverría SE. En las Manos de Dios [in God’s Hands]: religious and other forms of coping among Latinos with arthritis. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology. 2004;72(1):91–102. [PMC free article] [PubMed] [Google Scholar]

47. Rabins PV, Fitting MD, Eastham J, Zabora J. Emotional adaptation over time in care-givers for chronically ill elderly people. Age and Ageing. 1990;19(3):185–190. [PubMed] [Google Scholar]

48. Folkman S, Chesney MA, Cooke M, Boccellari A, Collette L. Caregiver burden in HIV-positive and HIV-negative partners of men with AIDS. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology. 1994;62(4):746–756. [PubMed] [Google Scholar]

49. Hebert RS, Dang Q, Schulz R. Religious beliefs and practices are associated with better mental health in family caregivers of patients with dementia: findings from the reach study. American Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry. 2007;15(4):292–300. [PubMed] [Google Scholar]

50. Tepper L, Rogers SA, Coleman EM, Malony HN. The prevalence of religious coping among persons with persistent mental illness. Psychiatric Services. 2001;52(5):660–665. [PubMed] [Google Scholar]

51. Bosworth HB, Park KS, McQuoid DR, Hays JC, Steffens DC. The impact of religious practice and religious coping on geriatric depression. International Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry. 2003;18(10):905–914. [PubMed] [Google Scholar]

52. Murphy SA, Johnson LC, Lohan J. Finding meaning in a child’s violent death: a five-year prospective analysis of parents’ personal narratives and empirical data. Death Studies. 2003;27(5):381–404. [PubMed] [Google Scholar]

53. Brown SL, Nesse RM, House JS, Utz RL. Religion and emotional compensation: results from a prospective study of widowhood. Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin. 2004;30(9):1165–1174. [PubMed] [Google Scholar]

54. Idler EL, Kasl SV, Hays JC. Patterns of religious practice and belief in the last year of life. Journals of Gerontology B. 2001;56(6):S326–S334. [PubMed] [Google Scholar]

55. Emanuel EJ, Fairclough DL, Wolfe P, Emanuel LL. Talking with terminally ill patients and their caregivers about death, dying, and bereavement: is it stressful? Is it helpful? Archives of Internal Medicine. 2004;164(18):1999–2004. [PubMed] [Google Scholar]

56. Koenig HG, Cohen HJ, Blazer DG, et al. Religious coping and depression among elderly, hospitalized medically ill men. American Journal of Psychiatry. 1992;149(12):1693–1700. [PubMed] [Google Scholar]

57. Larson RW, Hansen DM, Moneta G. Differing profiles of developmental experiences across types of organized youth activities. Developmental Psychology. 2006;42(5):849–863. [PubMed] [Google Scholar]

58. Pienaar J, Rothmann S, Van Devijver FJR. Occupational stress, personality traits, coping strategies, and suicide ideation in the South African police service. Criminal Justice and Behavior. 2007;34(2):246–258. [Google Scholar]

59. Smith BW. Coping as a predictor of outcomes following the 1993 midwest flood. Journal of Social Behavior and Personality. 1996;11(2):225–239. [Google Scholar]

60. Hollifield M, Hewage C, Gunawardena CN, Kodituwakku P, Bopagoda K, Weerarathnege K. Symptoms and coping in Sri Lanka 20-21 months after the 2004 tsunami. British Journal of Psychiatry. 2008;192(1):39–44. [PubMed] [Google Scholar]

61. Pargament KI, Ishler K, Dubow E, et al. Methods of religious coping with the Gulf War: cross-sectional and longitudinal analyses. Journal For the Scientific Study of Religion. 1994;33(4):347–361. [Google Scholar]

62. Scholte WF, Olff M, Ventevogel P, et al. Mental health symptoms following war and repression in Eastern Afghanistan. Journal of the American Medical Association. 2004;292(5):585–593. [PubMed] [Google Scholar]

63. Schuster MA, Stein BD, Jaycox LH, et al. A national survey of stress reactions after the September 11, 2001, terrorist attacks. New England Journal of Medicine. 2001;345(20):1507–1512. [PubMed] [Google Scholar]

64. Ellison CG, Taylor RJ. Turning to prayer: social and situational antecedents of religious coping among African Americans. Review of Religious Research. 1996;38(2):111–131. [Google Scholar]

65. Pargament KI, Koenig HG, Perez LM. A comprehensive measure of religious coping: development and initial validation of the RCOPE. Journal of Clinical Psychology. 1999;56(4):519–543. [PubMed] [Google Scholar]

66. Nooney J, Woodrum E. Religious coping and church-based social support as predictors of mental health outcomes: testing a conceptual model. Journal For the Scientific Study of Religion. 2002;41(2):359–368. [Google Scholar]

67. Koenig HG, Kvale JN, Ferrel C. Religion and well-being in later life. Gerontologist. 1988;28(1):18–28. [PubMed] [Google Scholar]

68. Willits FK, Crider DM. Religion and well-being: men and women in the middle years. Review of Religious Research. 1988;29(3):281–294. [Google Scholar]

69. Levin JS, Chatters LM, Taylor RJ. Religious effects on health status and life satisfaction among Black Americans. Journals of Gerontology B. 1995;50(3):S154–S163. [PubMed] [Google Scholar]

70. Levin JS, Markides KS, Ray LA. Religious attendance and psychological well-being in Mexican Americans: a panel analysis of three-generations data. Gerontologist. 1996;36(4):454–463. [PubMed] [Google Scholar]

71. Ellison CG, Boardman JD, Williams DR, Jackson JS. Religious involvement, stress, and mental health: findings from the 1995 Detroit area study. Social Forces. 2001;80(1):215–249. [Google Scholar]

72. Krause N. Religious meaning and subjective well-being in late life. Journals of Gerontology B. 2003;58(3):S160–S170. [PubMed] [Google Scholar]

73. Krause N. Common facets of religion, unique facets of religion, and life satisfaction among older African Americans. Journals of Gerontology B. 2004;59(2):S109–S117. [PubMed] [Google Scholar]

74. Greene KV, Yoon BJ. Religiosity, economics and life satisfaction. Review of Social Economy. 2004;62(2):245–273. [Google Scholar]

75. Lelkes O. Tasting freedom: happiness, religion and economic transition. Journal of Economic Behavior and Organization. 2006;59(2):173–194. [Google Scholar]

76. Uppal S. Impact of the timing, type and severity of disability on the subjective well-being of individuals with disabilities. Social Science and Medicine. 2006;63(2):525–539. [PubMed] [Google Scholar]

77. Crabtree S, Pelham B, World Gallup Poll. 2009. Religion Provides Emotional Boost to World’s Poor, Gallup.

78. Dalgalarrondo P, Marín-León L, Botega JN, De Azevedo Barros MB, Bosco de Oliveira H. Religious affiliation and psychiatric morbidity in Brazil: higher rates among evangelicals and spiritists. International Journal of Social Psychiatry. 2008;54(6):562–574. [PubMed] [Google Scholar]

79. Sethi S, Seligman MEP. The hope of fundamentalists. Psychological Science. 1994;5:58–59. [Google Scholar]

80. Murphy PE, Ciarrocchi JW, Piedmont RL, Cheston S, Peyrot M, Fitchett G. The relation of religious belief and practices, depression, and hopelessness in persons with clinical depression. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology. 2000;68(6):1102–1106. [PubMed] [Google Scholar]

81. Ai AL, Park CL, Bu Huang, Rodgers W, Tice TN. Psychosocial mediation of religious coping styles: a study of short-term psychological distress following cardiac surgery. Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin. 2007;33(6):867–882. [PubMed] [Google Scholar]

82. Idler EL, Kasl SV. Religion among disabled and nondisabled persons I: cross-sectional patterns in health practices, social activities, and well-being. Journals of Gerontology B. 1997;52(6):S294–S305. [PubMed] [Google Scholar]

83. Krause N. Church-based social support and health in old age: exploring variations by race. Journals of Gerontology B. 2002;57(6):S332–S347. [PubMed] [Google Scholar]

84. Ai AL, Peterson C, Bolling SF, Koenig H. Private prayer and optimism in middle-aged and older patients awaiting cardiac surgery. Gerontologist. 2002;42(1):70–81. [PubMed] [Google Scholar]

85. Krause N. Religious doubt and psychological well-being: a longitudinal investigation. Review of Religious Research. 2006;47(3):287–302. [Google Scholar]

86. Francis LJ. The relationship between bible reading and purpose in life among 13-15-year-olds. Mental Health, Religion and Culture. 2000;3(1):33–36. [Google Scholar]

87. Skrabski A, Kopp M, Rózsa S, Réthelyi J, Rahe RH. Life meaning: an important correlate of health in the Hungarian population. International Journal of Behavioral Medicine. 2005;12(2):78–85. [PubMed] [Google Scholar]

88. Krause N. Meaning in life and mortality. Journal of Gerontology B. 2009;(supplement 64)(4):S517–S527. [PMC free article] [PubMed] [Google Scholar]

89. Krause N. God-mediated control and change in self-rated health. International Journal for the Psychology of Religion. 2010;20(4):267–287. [PMC free article] [PubMed] [Google Scholar]

90. Watters W. Deadly Doctrine: Health, Illness, and Christian God-Talk. Buffalo, NY, USA: Prometheus Books; 1992. [Google Scholar]

91. Ellison CG. Religious involvement and self-perception among Black Americans. Social Forces. 1993;71:1027–1055. [Google Scholar]

92. Krause N, Van Tran T. Stress and religious involvement among older Blacks. Journals of Gerontology. 1989;44(1):S4–S13. [PubMed] [Google Scholar]

93. Krause N. Stress, religiosity, and psychological well-being among older blacks. Journal of Aging and Health. 1992;4(3):412–439. [Google Scholar]

94. Krause N. Religiosity and self-esteem among older adults. Journals of Gerontology B. 1995;50(5):P236–P246. [PubMed] [Google Scholar]

95. Krause N. Religious meaning and subjective well-being in late life. Journals of Gerontology B. 2003;58(3):S160–S170. [PubMed] [Google Scholar]

96. Le TN, Tov W, Taylor J. Religiousness and depressive symptoms in five ethnic adolescent groups. International Journal for the Psychology of Religion. 2007;17(3):209–232. [Google Scholar]

97. Hill TD, Burdette AM, Regnerus M, Angel RJ. Religious involvement and attitudes toward parenting among low-income Urban women. Journal of Family Issues. 2008;29(7):882–900. [Google Scholar]

98. Trevino KM, Pargament KI, Cotton S, et al. Religious coping and physiological, psychological, social, and spiritual outcomes in patients with HIV/AIDS: cross-sectional and longitudinal findings. AIDS and Behavior. 2010;14(2):379–389. [PubMed] [Google Scholar]

99. Ellison CG, Taylor RJ. Turning to prayer: social and situational antecedents of religious coping among African Americans. Review of Religious Research. 1996;38(2):111–131. [Google Scholar]

100. Miller K, Yost B, Flaherty S, et al. Health status, health conditions, and health behaviors among Amish women. Results from the Central Pennsylvania Women’s Health Study (CePAWHS) Women’s Health Issues. 2007;17(3):162–171. [PubMed] [Google Scholar]

ie If don't give you (generic)  scholarly sources to prove its not flat, then I haven't proven this to you, and you  can feel justified in continuing to believe that it's flat  :)

BUT if you  (anyone) did a little unbiased research for yourself you would see that it is a sphere 

Factual ignorance is what allows people to keep believing what the y need to believe

Did you bother spending a little time examining the initial research and statistics for blue zones or the other papers  ? 

Here are a further cited sources from  another paper.

Batchelor S. The jewel in the lotus: a guide to the Buddhist traditions of Tibet. London: Wisdom Publications; 1987. [Google Scholar]

Brouard N, Lievre A (2002) Computing health expectancies using IMaCh (a maximum likelihood computer program using interpolation of Markov Chains). Institut National d’Etudes Demographiques (INED, Paris) and EUROREVES

Chang M-C, Hermalin AI (1989) 1989 survey of health and living status of the elderly in Taiwan: questionnaire and survey design. Comparative study of the elderly in four Asian Countries, Research Report No. 1. The University of Michigan: Ann Arbor, MI

Chida Y, Steptoe A, Powell LH. Religiosity/spirituality and mortality. Psychother Psychosom. 2009;78(2):81–90. doi: 10.1159/000190791. [PubMed] [CrossRef] [Google Scholar]

Crimmins EM, Hayward MD, Hagedorn A, Saito Y, Brouard N. Change in disability-free life expectancy for Americans 70 years old and older. Demography. 2009;46(3):627–646. doi: 10.1353/dem.0.0070. [PMC free article] [PubMed] [CrossRef] [Google Scholar]

Davidson RJ, Kabat-Zinn J, Schumacher J, Rosenkranz M, Muller D, Santorelli SF, Urbanowski F, Harrington A, Bonus K, Sheridan JF. Alterations in brain and immune function produced by mindfulness meditation. Psychosom Med. 2003;65(4):564. doi: 10.1097/01.PSY.0000077505.67574.E3. [PubMed] [CrossRef] [Google Scholar]

Ellison CG, Levin JS. The religion-health connection: evidence, theory, and future directions. Health Educ Behav. 1998;25(6):700–720. doi: 10.1177/109019819802500603. [PubMed] [CrossRef] [Google Scholar]

Gillum RF. Frequency of attendance at religious services, overweight, and obesity in American women and men: the third national health and nutrition examination survey. Ann Epidemiol. 2006;16(9):655–660. doi: 10.1016/j.annepidem.2005.11.002. [PubMed] [CrossRef] [Google Scholar]

Gillum RF, King DE, Obisesan TO, Koenig HG. Frequency of attendance at religious services and mortality in a US national cohort. Ann Epidemiol. 2008;18(2):124–129. doi: 10.1016/j.annepidem.2007.10.015. [PMC free article] [PubMed] [CrossRef] [Google Scholar]

Grossman P, Niemann L, Schmidt S, Walach H. Mindfulness-based stress reduction and health benefits: a meta-analysis. J Psychosom Res. 2004;57(1):35–43. doi: 10.1016/S0022-3999(03)00573-7. [PubMed] [CrossRef] [Google Scholar]

Helm HM, Hays JC, Flint EP, Koenig HG, Blazer DG. Does private religious activity prolong survival? A six-year follow-up study of 3,851 older adults. J Gerontol Ser A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2000;55(7):400–405. doi: 10.1093/gerona/55.7.M400. [PubMed] [CrossRef] [Google Scholar]

Hermalin AI. The well-being of the elderly in Asia: a four-country comparative study. Ann Arbor: The University of Michigan Press; 2002. [Google Scholar]

Hill TD, Angel JL, Ellison CG, Angel RJ. Religious attendance and mortality: an 8-year follow-up of older Mexican Americans. J Gerontol Ser B Psychol Sci Soc Sci. 2005;60(2):102–109. doi: 10.1093/geronb/60.2.S102. [PubMed] [CrossRef] [Google Scholar]

Hill TD, Ellison CG, Burdette AM, Musick MA. Religious involvement and healthy lifestyles: evidence from the survey of Texas adults. Ann Behav Med. 2007;34(2):217–222. doi: 10.1007/BF02872676. [PubMed] [CrossRef] [Google Scholar]

Hummer RA, Rogers RG, Nam CB, Ellison CG. Religious involvement and US adult mortality. Demography. 1999;36(2):273–285. doi: 10.2307/2648114. [PubMed] [CrossRef] [Google Scholar]

Hummer RA, Ellison CG, Rogers RG, Moulton BE, Romero RR. Religious involvement and adult mortality in the United States: review and perspective. South Med J. 2004;97(12):1223–1230. doi: 10.1097/01.SMJ.0000146547.03382.94. [PubMed] [CrossRef] [Google Scholar]

Idler EL, Kasl SV. Religion among disabled and nondisabled persons I: cross-sectional patterns in health practices, social activities, and well-being. J Gerontol Ser B Psychol Sci Soc Sci. 1997;52(6):294–305. doi: 10.1093/geronb/52B.6.S294. [PubMed] [CrossRef] [Google Scholar]

Iwasaki M, Otani T, Sunaga R, Miyazaki H, Xiao L, Wang N, Yosiaki S, Suzuki S. Social networks and mortality based on the Komo-Ise cohort study in Japan. Int J Epidemiol. 2002;31(6):1208. doi: 10.1093/ije/31.6.1208. [PubMed] [CrossRef] [Google Scholar]

Jagger C, Matthews R, Melzer D, Matthews F, Brayne C, MRC CFAS Educational differences in the dynamics of disability incidence, recovery and mortality: findings from the MRC cognitive function and ageing study (MRC CFAS) Int J Epidemiol. 2007;36(2):358–365. doi: 10.1093/ije/dyl307. [PubMed] [CrossRef] [Google Scholar]

Kaneda T, Zimmer Z, Tang Z. Socioeconomic status differentials in life and active life expectancy among older adults in Beijing. Disabil Rehabil. 2005;27(5):241–251. doi: 10.1080/09638280400006481. [PubMed] [CrossRef] [Google Scholar]

Katz LF, Branch LG, Branson MH, Papsidero JA, Beck JC, Greer DS. Active life expectancy. N Engl J Med. 1983;309(20):1218–1224. doi: 10.1056/NEJM198311173092005. [PubMed] [CrossRef] [Google Scholar]

Kelley-Moore JA, Ferraro KF. Functional limitations and religious service attendance in later life. J Gerontol Ser B Psychol Sci Soc Sci. 2001;56(6):365–373. doi: 10.1093/geronb/56.6.S365. [PubMed] [CrossRef] [Google Scholar]

Koenig HG, Hays JC, Larson DB, George LK, Cohen HJ, McCullough ME, Meador KG, Blazer DG. Does religious attendance prolong survival? A six-year follow-up study of 3,968 older adults. J Gerontol Ser A Biol Sci Med Sci. 1999;54(7):370–376. doi: 10.1093/gerona/54.7.M370. [PubMed] [CrossRef] [Google Scholar]

Krause N. Church-based social support and health in old age. J Gerontol Ser B Psychol Sci Soc Sci. 2002;57(6):S332. doi: 10.1093/geronb/57.6.S332. [PubMed] [CrossRef] [Google Scholar]

Krause N. Common facets of religion, unique facets of religion, and life satisfaction among older African Americans. J Gerontol Ser B Psychol Sci Soc Sci. 2004;59(2):109–117. doi: 10.1093/geronb/59.2.S109. [PubMed] [CrossRef] [Google Scholar]

Krause N, Ingersoll-Dayton B, Liang J, Sugisawa H. Religion, social support, and health among the Japanese elderly. J Health Soc Behav. 1999;40:405–421. doi: 10.2307/2676333. [PubMed] [CrossRef] [Google Scholar]

Krause N, Liang J, Shaw BA, Sugisawa H, Kim HK, Sugihara Y. Religion, death of a loved one, and hypertension among older adults in Japan. J Gerontol Ser B Psychol Sci Soc Sci. 2002;57(2):S96. doi: 10.1093/geronb/57.2.S96. [PubMed] [CrossRef] [Google Scholar]

La Cour P, Avlund K, Schultz-Larsen K. Religion and survival in a secular region. A twenty year follow-up of 734 Danish adults born in 1914. Soc Sci Med. 2006;62(1):157–164. doi: 10.1016/j.socscimed.2005.05.029. [PubMed] [CrossRef] [Google Scholar]

Laditka SB, Wolf DA. New methods for analyzing active life expectancy. J Aging Health. 1998;10(2):214–241. doi: 10.1177/089826439801000206. [CrossRef] [Google Scholar]

Lawler-Row KA, Elliott J. The role of religious activity and spirituality in the health and well-being of older adults. J Health Psychol. 2009;14(1):43. doi: 10.1177/1359105308097944. [PubMed] [CrossRef] [Google Scholar]

Lievre A, Brouard N, Heathcote C. The estimation of health expectancies from cross-longitudinal surveys. Math Popul Stud. 2003;10(4):211–248. doi: 10.1080/713644739. [CrossRef] [Google Scholar]

Lutz A, Slagter HA, Dunne JD, Davidson RJ. Attention regulation and monitoring in meditation. Trends Cogn Sci. 2008;12(4):163–169. doi: 10.1016/j.tics.2008.01.005. [PMC free article] [PubMed] [CrossRef] [Google Scholar]

Majumdar M, Grossman P, Dietz-Waschkowski B, Kersig S, Walach H. Does mindfulness meditation contribute to health? Outcome evaluation of a German sample. J Altern Complement Med. 2004;8(6):719–730. doi: 10.1089/10755530260511720. [PubMed] [CrossRef] [Google Scholar]

Maspero H. Taoism and Chinese religion. Amherst, MA: University of Massachusetts Press; 1981. [Google Scholar]

Obisesan T, Livingston I, Trulear HD, Gillum F. Frequency of attendance at religious services, cardiovascular disease, metabolic risk factors and dietary intake in Americans: an age-stratified exploratory analysis. Int J Psychiatry Med. 2006;36(4):435–448. doi: 10.2190/9W22-00H1-362K-0279. [PMC free article] [PubMed] [CrossRef] [Google Scholar]

Oman D, Reed D. Religion and mortality among the community-dwelling elderly. Am J Public Health. 1998;88(10):1469. doi: 10.2105/AJPH.88.10.1469. [PMC free article] [PubMed] [CrossRef] [Google Scholar]

Reynolds SL, Saito Y, Crimmins EM. The impact of obesity on active life expectancy in older American men and women. Gerontologist. 2005;45:438–444. doi: 10.1093/geront/45.4.438. [PubMed] [CrossRef] [Google Scholar]

Robinet I, Brooks P. Taoism: growth of a religion. Palo Alto, CA: Stanford University Press; 1997. [Google Scholar]

Roff LL, Klemmack DL, Simon C, Cho GW, Parker MW, Koenig HG, Sawyer-Baker P, Allman RM. Functional limitations and religious service attendance among African American and white older adults. Health Soc Work. 2006;31(4):246–255. doi: 10.1093/hsw/31.4.246. [PubMed] [CrossRef] [Google Scholar]

Ryan AK, Willits FK. Family ties, physical health, and psychological well-being. J Aging Health. 2007;19(6):907. doi: 10.1177/0898264307308340. [PubMed] [CrossRef] [Google Scholar]

Strawbridge WJ, Cohen RD, Shema SJ, Kaplan GA. Frequent attendance at religious services and mortality over 28 years. Am J Public Health. 1997;87(6):957–961. doi: 10.2105/AJPH.87.6.957. [PMC free article] [PubMed] [CrossRef] [Google Scholar]

Strawbridge WJ, Shema SJ, Cohen RD, Kaplan GA. Religious attendance increases survival by improving and maintaining good health behaviors, mental health, and social relationships. Ann Behav Med. 2001;23(1):68–74. doi: 10.1207/S15324796ABM2301_10. [PubMed] [CrossRef] [Google Scholar]

Yeager DM, Glei DA, Au M, Lin H-S, Sloan RP, Weinstein M. Religious involvement and health outcomes among older persons in Taiwan. Soc Sci Med. 2006;63(8):2228–2241. doi: 10.1016/j.socscimed.2006.05.007. [PubMed] [CrossRef] [Google Scholar]

Yong V, Saito Y. Are there educational differentials in disability and mortality transitions and active life expectancy among Japanese older adults? Findings from a 10-year prospective cohort study. J Gerontol Soc Sci. 2012;67(3):343–353. doi: 10.1093/geronb/gbs029. [PubMed] [CrossRef] [Google Scholar]

Zeng Y, Gu D, George LK. Association of religious participation with mortality among Chinese old adults. Res Aging. 2010 [PMC free article] [PubMed] [Google Scholar]

Zhang W. Religious participation and mortality risk among the oldest old in China. J Gerontol Soc Sci. 2008;63(5):293–297. doi: 10.1093/geronb/63.5.S293. [PubMed] [CrossRef] [Google Scholar]

Zimmer Z, Martin LG, Lin H-S. Determinants of old-age mortality in Taiwan. Soc Sci Med. 2005;60(2):457–470. doi: 10.1016/j.socscimed.2004.06.006. [PubMed] [CrossRef] [Google Scholar

Edited by Mr Walker

1 hour ago, Nuclear Wessel said:

if true, then my points should be all the more convincing .

A scientist wouldn't allow prejudice to blind them to  scientific facts.

I don't see it as my business to prove such a well known fact. 

It is so well known that it is now incorporated in most teaching hospitals and universities, in courses on medicine, psychology, and aged care, for example 

And Ive been studying /researching this for two decades at least, so I  probably  have a better knowledge than a scientist in another area . 

12 minutes ago, Mr Walker said:

If you think I am wrong based on your beliefs,  then you go researching and try to find if /where I am wrong. 

I am probably better at locating research articles than you are.  It will save both of us time if I do my own research.  However, that is not really my area of interest or expertise.  So I am asking you just to back up whatever you say.  Nothing more is needed.

14 minutes ago, Mr Walker said:

Ps You realise that many such articles give their own  scholarly  sources at the end

The ones you posted and I reviewed did not.

15 minutes ago, Mr Walker said:

Koenigs summation, for example provides over 600 sources that you might find interesting 

So what, exactly, are you trying to show by copying somebody else's references?

Doug

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, Mr Walker said:

so I  probably  have a better knowledge than a scientist in another area

You probably do.  But what I would like to see is some of that expertise posted in support of your opinions.  A hundred references are useless,  You need to cite the exact one that backs up a particular statement.  Example (Walker 2021) with a link posted below.  Any item that MIGHT be controversial, or about which someone might ask how you know that should have a reference.  EXCEPT:  this is UM.  We don't ordinarily post our sources unless asked.  But we do need to be ready in case somebody asks.

We are getting a little off-topic here.  God-and-motherhood statements about how religion is/is not great is not really what this thread is about.  If you'd like to say that I got something wrong, like for example, the top Nazis weren't Christians, that we can discuss.

Doug

Edited by Doug1066
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Doug1066 said:

Doug

Thanks 

Sherapy has a tendency to try and shut me up, rather than debate issues she disagrees with me on 

I am well informed and read on this particular issue, having been studying it and following it for over 2 decades 

In this case my argument goes directly to your thread 

I personally believe that faith and belief (from shamanism to the most modern forms)are evolved qualities of human cognition, and that religion is an evolved social structure (like organised sport)

They all evolved because they promote human survival and well being .

Thus, despite the harm done by religion and competing faiths, in principle  I believe human are intrinsically spiritual beings, and social ones, who benefit from  faith and relgion.

ALL the research supports this view although, as with anything, there are exceptions and complexities eg destructive faiths can bring negative outcomes, but these are comparatively rare (something like  5% of people report that faith/belie  has harmed them 

Humans would not have evolved self  aware consciousness without also evolving spirituality and religious forms.

Thus, it is no good trying to eliminate them  They are too "tied in"  to our cognitive /psychological evolved processing

. We should, instead, work towards using them, and their power, for constructive purposes. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mr Walker said:

Thus, it is no good trying to eliminate them 

Does anybody think we actually can?  After 70+ years of communist atheism, the Orthodox church returned almost overnight.  It had just gone underground.  No.  We're not going to stamp out religion any time soon.

Doug

• Like 2

On 9/3/2021 at 8:59 PM, Doug1066 said:

And, so, the Holocaust was brought to you by good Christians.

Before you crucify me:  I have more on that subject.

The Holocaust was brought about by Adolph Hitler.   Consider  yourself crucified.  

Religions...all of them have done a great deal of good for billions of people.  There are no perfect entities, no perfect corporations,  so this entire thread is nothing more than your own prejudiced views of religion because you were born into a Birth Box of your parent's beliefs.   As are we all.  Your prejudice is just your prejudice.  Maybe you should start a blog entitled...How Religion Harmed Me.   

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Doug1066 said:

I am probably better at locating research articles than you are.  It will save both of us time if I do my own research.  However, that is not really my area of interest or expertise.  So I am asking you just to back up whatever you say.  Nothing more is needed.

The ones you posted and I reviewed did not.

So what, exactly, are you trying to show by copying somebody else's references?

Doug

Showing you that the first source I gave you provided a wealth of material, which you could examine, including hundreds of scholarly /peer reviewed articles  written in academic journals etc.  It also backs up my claim about the number and   range of scholarly sources on this issue.

Tell me, would you argue if I told you that, having a dog ,exercise,  social contacts, or (for men but not women)  marriage; ,adds years to a statistical l life  expectancy,  and  better health?

if not, then why argue that a positive faith and religious attendance (which serve similar psychical purposes)  do not. 

I'm not here to change your mind, just to tell you that you are wrong (on this issue)  :)  

if you read those articles (most of which I have read) then, as a scientist, you would change your mind, or at least be better informed,  given the evidences presented in them.

Failure to do your own research enables you to maintain a belief driven position, because you haven't looked at the facts.

Maybe it is simple lack of interest,  as you say.   

2 minutes ago, joc said:

The Holocaust was brought about by Adolph Hitler.   Consider  yourself crucified.  

Religions...all of them have done a great deal of good for billions of people.  There are no perfect entities, no perfect corporations,  so this entire thread is nothing more than your own prejudiced views of religion because you were born into a Birth Box of your parent's beliefs.   As are we all.  Your prejudice is just your prejudice.  Maybe you should start a blog entitled...How Religion Harmed Me.   

Religion has indeed done a great deal of good for billions of people.  But it has also harmed billions.

The Catholic church, for example, has been around for almost 2000 years.  In that time it has been everything an organization can be, from extremely pious and beneficial to something that would make the Mafia cringe.  So where does the balance lie?

Doug

• Like 1

• The topic was locked
  • The topic was unlocked