Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

'Creature' picked up on sonar in Loch Ness

UM-Bot

34 minutes ago, UM-Bot said:

An amateur Nessie Hunter believes that he picked up evidence of the creature during a recent boat trip.

https://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/350343/creature-picked-up-on-sonar-in-loch-ness

Sadly at 13 feet long it's more likely some type of fish, and .I found a story that Wells Catfish were introduced into Loch Ness approximately 100 years ago. Wells Catfish can easily reach sizes of 13 feet of more and can live from 50 to 80 years or more. 

Well Catfish were introduced into Loch Ness https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/nessie-hunter-theres-only-one-6080181

Well Catfish Statistics. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wels_catfish

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, jethrofloyd said:

Could it be just a shoal of fish?

Or a log?

• Thanks 1

I'm going with shoal of fish too. Seems like when I've seen fishing videos, a shoal of fish can look like that.

• Like 1

Most likely a sturgeon or even a seal (They've been known to enter Loch Ness).

• Like 1

Pretty sure there are seals and even porpoises in the loch. It does connect to the sea and there have been many sightings of such things.

It could also be a shoal of fish as suggested, but highly unlikely to be a log as logs tend to float and not lay at 20 feet depth in a 40 feet overall depth unless it was tied to something.

Does anyone remember way back in the '90s (I think) that a search for the monster turned up a strange device that was chained to the bottom of the loch. They managed to raise it to the surface and couldn't identify what it was.
I have been searching for any article or information on that as that was a real mystery rather than an urban legend mystery, and have always wondered over the past 30 years or whatever it has been, whether they ever had an explanation for what they found?

18 minutes ago, ExoPaul said:

Does anyone remember way back in the '90s (I think) that a search for the monster turned up a strange device that was chained to the bottom of the loch. They managed to raise it to the surface and couldn't identify what it was.
I have been searching for any article or information on that as that was a real mystery rather than an urban legend mystery, and have always wondered over the past 30 years or whatever it has been, whether they ever had an explanation for what they found?

Can't say I remember such a thing in Loch Ness. But I was watching some YouTube videos about horrible devices used to punish people on the middle ages, and there was a device used to drown witches that I think was chained down in a lake.

Edited by DieChecker

39 minutes ago, ExoPaul said:

I dunno about it, but I remember(2016) when they found a lost 30ft (9m) big model of the Loch Ness Monster built in 1969. For a Sherlock Holmes movie. It has been found almost 50 years after it sank in the loch.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/apr/13/loch-ness-monster-remains-discovered-by-robot

33225D0F00000578-3537498-image-a-27_1460

Edited by jethrofloyd
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, DieChecker said:

. . .about horrible devices used to punish people on the middle ages, and there was a device used to drown witches . .

Content --- interesting.

• Like 1

There is obviously no loch Ness monster. If there is it do be walking around and chilling by the lake..

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, DreadLordAvatar said:

Nessie is a hoax.  Mystery solved.

It's a money making hoax for the only revenue that city can make. 

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Probably a large eel, or a shoal of fish.
The eel thing has been a compelling Nessie explanation, too. Lots of eel DNA is in the loch, and exceptionally large specimens are not unknown.

20 hours ago, ExoPaul said:

Pretty sure there are seals and even porpoises in the loch. It does connect to the sea and there have been many sightings of such things.

There are many locks to negotiate to get to Loch Ness, over 20 locks and swing bridges all along the canal, all of which are operated for you by Scottish Canals' staff. It would be difficult for anything of any size to negotiate these with ought being spotted.

I will stick to my theory that this a large Wels Catfish. Coming from the time when the Victorians threw them into lakes to provide sport fishing for the upper classes.

• 1 month later...