Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Still Waters

"Sleep when awake" Woman claims she hasn't slept in 40 years

Still Waters

Chinese media recently reported the bizarre case of a woman who claimed that she hadn’t slept in about four decades but never felt tired or sleepy either.

Most people can’t go 24 hours without a little shut-eye, but Li Zhanying, a woman from Henan, China claimed to have gone 40 years without any sleep, a feat confirmed by her husband and their neighbors, some of whom actually put her to the test, only to fall asleep themselves. Li last remembered getting some sleep when she was five or six, but now in her mid-40s, sleep is nothing but an old memory.

https://www.odditycentral.com/news/chinese-woman-claims-she-hasnt-slept-in-40-years.html

https://www.bastillepost.com/hongkong/article/9120842-河南婦自稱40年從未睡覺卻不感到累-專家揭驚人真?current_cat=1515

Using Google Translate

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Tom1200

And there are other people who claim they haven't eaten or drunk in 40 years.  They know they're lying.  I'm sure this lady knows that she zones out for periods, as if she's - you know - asleep.  But if it suits people to believe see doesn't that's their concern.  I wonder what she does with all time?  The husband's claim that she does chores all night hardly rings true.

As for me - I haven't been abducted by aliens in the past 40 years.  Not even once.  But am I also lying?

Nnicolette
26 minutes ago, Tom1200 said:

And there are other people who claim they haven't eaten or drunk in 40 years.  They know they're lying.  I'm sure this lady knows that she zones out for periods, as if she's - you know - asleep.  But if it suits people to believe see doesn't that's their concern.  I wonder what she does with all time?  The husband's claim that she does chores all night hardly rings true.

As for me - I haven't been abducted by aliens in the past 40 years.  Not even once.  But am I also lying?

Well are you?

quiXilver
30 minutes ago, Tom1200 said:

y u mad bro?

razman

Lol!

MissJatti

If that was me I would be bored dead.

ChetManly

- post removed -

...sooo you know better than the doctors that studied her? Or did you not bother reading the article?

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

fred_mc

Interesting. There are animals who sleep with half their brain at a time while the other half is awake. Maybe this condition is a bit similar to that.

• Like 1

pallidin

The human heart, not to mention other vital organs, REQUIRE the host to sleep in order to regenerate and otherwise function properly.

So, the article is BS.

• Like 2

Saru
7 hours ago, pallidin said:

The human heart, not to mention other vital organs, REQUIRE the host to sleep in order to regenerate and otherwise function properly.

So, the article is BS.

Did you actually read the article though, or just the headline ?

She reportedly suffers from a rare medical condition that enables her to sleep while outwardly awake, similar to sleepwalking.

• Like 1

ZOXS
On 9/6/2021 at 8:48 PM, pallidin said:

So, the article is BS.

I agree

• Like 1