Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

A Thought On the Paranormal

joc

I had what I thought was an interesting thought while taking  a shower the other day.  

I always spray mosquito repellent on before mowing... Mostly because of the chiggers but for some reason I had forgotten to do that. As soon as I finished mowing, I immediately took a shower.  I wanted to get rid of all the chiggers before they could burrow into my skin...so I soaped up all over including my hair and began the rinsing process.  As soon as I closed my eyes to wash the soap out of my hair, I had these optical hallucinations...the kind like lights inside your head you can see when your eyes are closed.

There were several tiny bright lights that just appeared and then turned black and then disappeared.  Not a big deal.  Completely normal.  But as soon as I saw the tiny light flashes I had a strange thought.  What if those tiny lights were the electrical essence of the chiggers that were dying as I soaped up?  Of course, I don't think they were.  However;  it sparked an interesting thought process no pun intended) ...so...here it is:

Lightning as you probably know doesn't just suddenly strike out of nowhere during a thunderstorm...it is a path of sorts of connected positive ions (feel free to correct me if that is wrong) When you get struck by lightning, it is because you, being grounded, inadvertently touched the last connection from an invisible string in the sky.   This isn't an original thought by any means...Mary Shelley no doubt had the same thought when she wrote Frankenstein.   But life forms are electrically charged...so what happens to that electric charge when our bodies die?  

Is it possible, and this was my strange thought, that our electrical essence consisting of negatively and positively charged ions, no longer being anchored to the body, just floats off and either becomes scattered...i.e. goes black...or perhaps gets connected to another string possibly in an endless loop where we would not be alive but our electric essence would still be 'active'?  And could that 'electrical essence' be Conscious? 

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, joc said:

Is it possible, and this was my strange thought, that our electrical essence consisting of negatively and positively charged ions, no longer being anchored to the body, just floats off and either becomes scattered...i.e. goes black...or perhaps gets connected to another string possibly in an endless loop where we would not be alive but our electric essence would still be 'active'?  And could that 'electrical essence' be Conscious? 

Even if this were to case the "self" as we are now would fragment and never be whole again. Like crushing a rock, no matter what you do the rock will never be whole again. 

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, joc said:

And could that 'electrical essence' be Conscious? 

I will go with the 'No' answer. Lightening in not even conscious. Just individual atoms and electrons following natural law. Consciousness I believe is fundamental and 'what it is?', we can't get our minds behind.

54 minutes ago, joc said:

This was pretty much theme of the X-Files episode ''This". Aired 2018.

Edited by jethrofloyd
  • Like 1

Interesting theory @joc ,just one question .... what's a chigger ?.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, diddyman68 said:

Interesting theory @joc ,just one question .... what's a chigger ?.

Chiggers are tiny little red bugs.  They like to crawl on your body until they find a 'warm' place...usually around the groin area or arm pits and then they burrow into your skin and if you are allergic to them which most people are...you wind up with a large very itchy red welp.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, joc said:

Chiggers are tiny little red bugs.  They like to crawl on your body until they find a 'warm' place...usually around the groin area or arm pits and then they burrow into your skin and if you are allergic to them which most people are...you wind up with a large very itchy red welp.

While I’m sure this is true and a real thing, it’s just so freaking creepy I kinda wish I never heard it.

• Haha 4

Chiggers aren't fun...but they are nothing....absolutely nothing like Straw Mites.  I got those once looking for my dog, walking through tall grass...I was covered in tiny bites...it took weeks to get rid of them, because I didn't know what they were...so I had no idea they were laying eggs in my truck seat and so every few days I would have a huge outbreak of bites again...it was a nightmare!   I did find my dog though...

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Guyver said:

While I’m sure this is true and a real thing, it’s just so freaking creepy I kinda wish I never heard it.

Just don't go to the southeast U.S. or Texas.   I'm sure the midwest has something equivalent that the rest of us would freak out over.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, joc said:

I had what I thought was an interesting thought while taking  a shower the other day.  

...so...here it is:

Lightning as you probably know doesn't just suddenly strike out of nowhere during a thunderstorm...it is a path of sorts of connected positive ions (feel free to correct me if that is wrong) When you get struck by lightning, it is because you, being grounded, inadvertently touched the last connection from an invisible string in the sky.   This isn't an original thought by any means...Mary Shelley no doubt had the same thought when she wrote Frankenstein.   But life forms are electrically charged...so what happens to that electric charge when our bodies die?  

how does lightning work?     < I tried to post a link to a Google search I did..(guess it didn't 'take').  Anyway , it said lighting is  

Negatively charged Electrons (at the base of the clouds) , being attracted to the Positively charged Protons (in the ground) , enough to overcome the insulating property of the Air in between.

Seems like it's always opposites in nature that energizes and makes everything possible!!  

But I love your 'thoughts' on this..  You should shower more often ! :P.   Ya!    what does become of the 'electrical' energy 'in' our bodies?   Beats me   (the strict materialists might say something like "it's like turning off a light..the energy is just gone". or something equally uninteresting) . . But,  aren't we still taught that energy cannot be created or destroyed but, only transformed ??!       

Edited by lightly
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Just thought about something. All that's going on in our heads is basically an organic lightning storm.

That seems silly, but it isn't.  i remember a long time ago...I think I was 19... when it occurred to me that the universe is equally as small as it is large.  

I also think that would be a great name for a band.   And now ladies and gentlemen...O r g a n i c   L i g h t n i n g    S t o o o o o o r r r m m m m m  m m

• Like 5

1 minute ago, joc said:

That seems silly, but it isn't.  i remember a long time ago...I think I was 19... when it occurred to me that the universe is equally as small as it is large.  

I also think that would be a great name for a band.   And now ladies and gentlemen...O r g a n i c   L i g h t n i n g    S t o o o o o o r r r m m m m m  m m

https://www.brainfacts.org/brain-anatomy-and-function/cells-and-circuits/2014/lightning-in-your-brain

Not as silly as some might think. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think I came across the idea of it when I was looking up something for a topic. Trying to figure out what thoughts are made of. I believe that might have been it.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, lightly said:

Negatively charged Electrons (at the base of the clouds) , being attracted to the Positively charged Protons (in the ground) , enough to overcome the insulating property of the Air in between

Something like that  yes!  That's why lightning is so zig zaged...it's like putting a lot of dots on the paper and then connecting them randomly with lines...

here ya go..excellent video explaining...leaders....

• Like 1

Interesting thought.

On a side note I'm now never going to live anywhere with chiggers. Sounds unpleasant haha

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, joc said:

What is electric essence?  If you mean bioelectricity then it comes from the charged chemicals in our cells, which comes from our diet.  Is our food conscious?

Edited by Rlyeh
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Rlyeh said:

What is electric essence?  If you mean bioelectricity then it comes from the charged chemicals in our cells, which comes from our diet.  Is our food conscious?

Actually the food we eat is not charged, or ionized. The ionization comes much later, when our cells break down the carbs into water and CO2, generating heat, and it's that heat that ionizes potassium, sodium, calcium and magnesium, that our neurons and muscles use to trigger events / communicate.

Since we don't know for sure what consciousness emerges from, the energy state of the brain is not something that can be dismissed totally as a candidate.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, joc said:

I think people should mix them with the band Electric Light Orchestra (ELO).

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, jethrofloyd said:

the band Electric Light Orchestra (ELO)

Writing what ELO stands for is redundant. Those who know the band, don't need it, and everyone else (the youngest) don't care.

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, Rlyeh said:

IDK, wouldn’t it be more correct to say it’s cellular metabolism that creates the energy, and the diet isn’t as large part of that equation since we can survive off a wide variety of food sources?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rlyeh said:

I don't really know.  There are numerous anecdotes of NDE's where people have experienced hovering over the operating table where they died...but then were brought back to life.

My thinking is...if you weren't dead, then you weren't really dead. My question is...as @XenoFish alluded to... is the 'electrical storm' inside our brain...neurons firing ...is our consciousness contained in the matter of the brain cells, or, is it contained in the electrical storm in our brain.  Do we know?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, joc said:

I don't really know.  There are numerous anecdotes of NDE's where people have experienced hovering over the operating table where they died...but then were brought back to life.

My thinking is...if you weren't dead, then you weren't really dead. My question is...as @XenoFish alluded to... is the 'electrical storm' inside our brain...neurons firing ...is our consciousness contained in the matter of the brain cells, or, is it contained in the electrical storm in our brain.  Do we know?

Every one of them were alive when recounting their story.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, joc said:

The third option of this is our consciousness a product of this activity. A fourth choice is that we're possessing some poor primate because of blah, blah, blah, some unconvincing reason. 

• Like 1