Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
SteveKlinko

A 25 Year Journey Into Mind, Seeing, And Light

206 posts in this topic

lightly

:P

• Haha 1

SteveKlinko
15 hours ago, lightly said:

What if the question was...if sunlight shines through the trees ,but, no one is there to see it..  Is it light?   Yes, because light is not sight.   Exactly as, sound is not hearing.

Very good. I have never heard anyone frame this in terms of Light. It is the same problem and has a similar answer. What you always thought was Light, was really your own Conscious Light in your Mind. Your Sight, as you want to call it, is made out of Conscious Light. So if the sunlight shines through the trees and there is nobody there to See it there is Physical Light (Electromagnetic Phenomenon) but there will not be any Conscious Light in a Mind. 

All Conscious Experience is like this.

• Thanks 1

SteveKlinko
17 hours ago, lightly said:

:P

This reminded me that my Doors Greatest Hits CD doesn't work anymore. Need to get on Amazon.

• Haha 1

quiXilver

Not sure if I mentioned this already, but @SteveKlinko I think you'd appreciate and get a lot of mileage from the work of Donald Hoffman.  He's a Neuro-Physiologist with several decades of experience in the field of human perceptual modeling.  His team's conclusions so far orbit around the seeming fact that we all hallucinate our reality.  Manufacturing our own individual models of the external world through the tranduction of signals received through the varied perceptual processes.

He's got several interviews and lectures on youtube.  I find it fascinating that our modeling process purposely ignores much of what is around us, we decrease full accuracy in favor of highlighting aspects of the environment that support survivability over accurate depictioning.

As a child I often asked my friends if they thought they saw the same hue of colors when they looked at the grass, sky, etc.  We use the same words for colors for grass, but that does not imply we 'see' the same hues at all.  Color blindness proves this to be true, but I've suspected my entire life, that it goes further and is more varied than that.

That and I've always wondered, 'what is the speed of dark?'.

Thanks for a great conversation, it's a fascinating topic and kudoz to the way you've presented and handled yourself in this thread.  The Skepdicks as you've seen can be a bit carnivorous here.

• Like 1

lightly
4 hours ago, SteveKlinko said:

Very good. I have never heard anyone frame this in terms of Light. It is the same problem and has a similar answer. What you always thought was Light, was really your own Conscious Light in your Mind. Your Sight, as you want to call it, is made out of Conscious Light. So if the sunlight shines through the trees and there is nobody there to See it there is Physical Light (Electromagnetic Phenomenon) but there will not be any Conscious Light in a Mind. 

All Conscious Experience is like this.

Ok, I'm a bit slow sometimes,but I'm listening..   When you say Conscious Light ..do you mean Light which IS Conscious??   (or light we are conscious of/ aware of...light we see?) 

.     What about a stinky scent in the trees..but no one's there to smell it ?  ..I suppose you'd say that it doesn't stink until someone smells it ?    What I always thought was stink was really my own Conscious Stink?

.    Or a breeze in the trees, but no one's there to feel it....  No breeze?

Edited by lightly

third_eye
2 hours ago, quiXilver said:

That and I've always wondered, 'what is the speed of dark?'.

Here you go... 

Darkness travels at the speed of light. More accurately, darkness does not exist by itself as a unique physical entity, but is simply the absence of light.20 Jun 2013

~