Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
WVK

New ‘mu’ COVID variant now found in 49 U.S. states

Recommended Posts

WVK

Since being discovered in Colombia in January, the mu variant of COVID-19 has spread to nearly four dozen countries and has made its presence known in Hawaii and Alaska. It has so far been found in 49 states with Nebraska being the only state to not have a mu variant case detected.

Health officials believe mu is even more transmissible that the delta variant and has the potential to resist vaccines.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/new-mu-covid-variant-now-found-in-49-u-s-states/ar-AAO9Uf6

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Sakari

Yup. Past time to go on with life. Glad I never stopped.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
and then

Yeah... I get the feeling that someone, somewhere is trying to cause America a collective psychotic break ;)   Sometimes it's good to live in the back of beyond where most Americans have no desire to be :tu:

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
susieice

I heard of the Mu variant a couple weeks ago. It was first identified in Columbia. Every variant is a "possible" vaccine skirter until shown otherwise. I haven't heard it spreads faster than Delta. It doesn't sound anywhere near that prevalent right now.

https://www.newsweek.com/mu-covid-variant-vaccine-resistant-most-prevelant-us-states-alaska-1626322

That said, Fauci added that there isn't a lot of clinical data on Mu at the moment and said that even if Mu is slightly vaccine resistant, "vaccines still are quite effective against variants of that type."

He concluded that U.S. health officials were "paying attention" to Mu but "don't consider it an immediate threat right now."

In any case Mu is far from dominant in the U.S. right now. The most recent Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) data shows that the Delta variant is by far the most prevalent COVID variant in the country, accounting for more than 99 percent of cases sequenced in the week ending August 28.

At that time, Mu, also known as B.1.621, accounted for just 0.2 percent of cases and had not been declared a Variant of Interest (VOI) yet.

Edited by susieice
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
zep73

Don't worry!

It doesn't take much effort for the medical companies to change the mRNA vaccines to target a new spike protein. What they are waiting for right now is to see which one, or ones, to go for. My guess is that the next new vaccine they produce will be targeting the Delta. But I'm not sure. It depends how many lives can be saved by producing a new. So far the old vaccine-profile does the job.

Edited by zep73

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Princess Serenity
On 9/6/2021 at 7:22 PM, Sakari said:

Yup. Past time to go on with life. Glad I never stopped.

Anything to keep the "fear" alive. Right, Sakari? 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
spartan max2
On 9/6/2021 at 8:29 PM, zep73 said:

Don't worry!

It doesn't take much effort for the medical companies to change the mRNA vaccines to target a new spike protein. What they are waiting for right now is to see which one, or ones, to go for. My guess is that the next new vaccine they produce will be targeting the Delta. But I'm not sure. It depends how many lives can be saved by producing a new. So far the old vaccine-profile does the job.

Sure. But the amount of time it takes to produce and send around the world. 

Alot of the world hasen't been vaccinated with the regular shot yet.

It will be mutated again by then probably.

I say this just to point out that at some point we really got to accept that it's not going anywhere.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ExpandMyMind

The fact that this virus has mutated so many times, so quickly, is the stuff of a dystopian nightmare. It's mutating due to so many unvaccinated, no-mask idiots spreading it.

I don't think people have half a clue just how dangerous this can get.

Edited by ExpandMyMind

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GlitterRose
11 minutes ago, ExpandMyMind said:

The fact that this virus has mutated so many times, so quickly, is the stuff of a dystopian nightmare. It's mutating due to so many unvaccinated, no-mask idiots spreading it.

I don't think people have half a clue just how dangerous this can get.

I think that is not taking into account that these variants form in places that don't have very good access to vaccines. 

The bulk of their populations have not even had the chance to get their first shots. 

And not everyone can be vaccinated or wear a mask, so the variants spread when they make it here.

The variants also get stealthier each time, and with waning immunity depending on when people got their vaccines, there may be more and more breakthrough cases.

So far, it has held up that most of the vaccinated fare much better if they experience a breakthrough case. 

Anyway, there's more of an issue than just Joe Blow who refuses to be vaxxed or wear a mask. He isn't being part of the solution, but he's not the largest part of the problem, either. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
and then
7 hours ago, GlitterRose said:

The variants also get stealthier each time, and with waning immunity depending on when people got their vaccines, there may be more and more breakthrough cases.

That's exactly what Israel is experiencing now.  They're queueing up for the 3rd shot.  The rant about the unvaccinated being what drives this situation is disproved by the fact that fully vaxxed individuals are carrying as much Delta in their nasal passages as the unvaxxed.  But, some folks have to continue to make it tribal and political.  The news out of Denmark is very encouraging, IMO.  It can be the first true test of herd immunity with between 70-80 percent fully vaccinated.  I suspect that Mu will continue the trend that we've seen with Delta.  It will tweak itself in ways that guarantee ITS survival by becoming more easily transmitted between hosts and less like to be lethal to the host so that it doesn't quickly lose its "home".

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GlitterRose
18 hours ago, and then said:

That's exactly what Israel is experiencing now.  They're queueing up for the 3rd shot.  The rant about the unvaccinated being what drives this situation is disproved by the fact that fully vaxxed individuals are carrying as much Delta in their nasal passages as the unvaxxed.  But, some folks have to continue to make it tribal and political.  The news out of Denmark is very encouraging, IMO.  It can be the first true test of herd immunity with between 70-80 percent fully vaccinated.  I suspect that Mu will continue the trend that we've seen with Delta.  It will tweak itself in ways that guarantee ITS survival by becoming more easily transmitted between hosts and less like to be lethal to the host so that it doesn't quickly lose its "home".

I think I read it here that Denmark just opened everything up because they reached 80% fully vaccinated.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
jmccr8
On 9/6/2021 at 5:31 PM, and then said:

Yeah... I get the feeling that someone, somewhere is trying to cause America a collective psychotic break ;)   Sometimes it's good to live in the back of beyond where most Americans have no desire to be :tu:

 

Hi And Then

From what I am seeing you are one of the select few that has been affected. How weak do you think the common American is give the MAJORITY have taken both shots and believing it is a cure may not be a major factor over preserving the health of others. Should we feel your despair? No FG way we did our part given the circumstanses of the day why b**** about people that try to care the best they can?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.