Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Weird conspiracy claims the Internet is 'fake'

UM-Bot

4 minutes ago, Tatetopa said:

On many days I have agreed with you.  Some of the adventure and unexpected is gone but the utility is still there. I use it for education quite a bit now, but the surprises have become much rarer.

Like you my friend I use the internet to expand my horizons, but I do remember the beginning of this thing we call the Internet. I joined the US Army in 1978, and in 1983 I was given a Computer to use as part of my Job in the US Army. Well honestly I did not even know how to turn it on much less use it, but like all things in the Military was I sent to a civilian class for 1 week Training. The Computer was made by Wang Laboratories and it was  possibly the first Wang Professional Computer,  but it turned out to be a great learning tool and a great experience. it had a 8086 16-bit CPU, a MS-DOS operating System that was Command Prompted it used MS-DOS 2.00, and the system had 128k of RAM, but best of all it had MS-Basic interpreter and that's where I learned my first Computer Language MS-Basic, so you could say I got in on the ground floor of computing.

In the beginning our internet capabilities were linked to networks on Military bases but before long we could go online and it was an experience that I treasure to this day!:yes:

Peace my friend!:tu: 

6 hours ago, Manwon Lender said:

That's a frightening thought how do they survive:w00t:, I bet they have Neanderthal DNA, that must be the problem!!!!!!!!:wacko::lol:

Peace my friend!!!!!:tu:

Hi Manwon

Then I am a Neaderthal as my phone doesn't own me I own it and sometimes it sits somewhere when I am doing other things like working in the garage or leave it in the car when I am working. Tech has it's advantages that I use to my end but it has no idea the scope of what I do because it is not with me and I have dedicated machines that know me in a specific way because I do not sync them. Things serve a purpose and for me if they are assuming my need I am suspicious of how that is used in whatever way

I try not to leave footprints yet still be seen to those that need to see me and I seldom download an app just because it exists simply because of the access they want to pics, peeps and files. Show me yours I will show you mine is my motto.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/20/2021 at 2:18 PM, Myles said:

You are old.  

I do remember our first TV with a remote.  Had a big wire that ran from the handheld across the floor to the TV.   It would only control On/Off and volume.  

Hi MYLES

i REMEMBER SITTING ON THE SECOND STORY ROOF OVER THE BATHROOM WATCHING COLOR TV AND LISTENING TO THE SAME SHOW THOUGH THE OPEN WINDOW OF MY BEDROOM. Sorry for the cap locks and normally would edit but at least I made and effort in my closing by not yelling at you

PS my hearing aide should be here soon so I hope that fixes the yelling bit.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, jmccr8 said:

Hi Manwon

Then I am a Neaderthal as my phone doesn't own me I own it and sometimes it sits somewhere when I am doing other things like working in the garage or leave it in the car when I am working. Tech has it's advantages that I use to my end but it has no idea the scope of what I do because it is not with me and I have dedicated machines that know me in a specific way because I do not sync them. Things serve a purpose and for me if they are assuming my need I am suspicious of how that is used in whatever way

I try not to leave footprints yet still be seen to those that need to see me and I seldom download an app just because it exists simply because of the access they want to pics, peeps and files. Show me yours I will show you mine is my motto.

That's actually a great way to live, and I respect it. Personal security to me is to level you can't even imagine, I even use an encrypted router and software built by a friend who designs such things for military applications, every time he's updates the software he sends it to me, about every 6 months. It's impossible for anyone using the internet in my home to use a infected devise or to try and download anything infected from online. My router will destroy or completely block any infection from reaching my devises. So I need absolutely no Virus protection at all, plus I only use Apple products, and the MAC Operating System is practically bullet proof anyway. 

But it goes farther than that for me, I have never used Face Book, Twitter, or any other such media platform because their is no Security. I don't understand how people can put their presence online, it's truly flirting with disaster. I only have two photos online and they are  30 years old, I do this because if my background and to keep my family safe and nothing is more important than that. It is impossible if your share everything you do with others online, and terrible things can happen to people that they not capable of understanding, or that  they created the entire problem themselves. 

No, not me I totally agree with what you said about, but I take personal and online security much more seriously than most people today could imagine or ever understand!

Good on you.

Peace my friend!:tu:

10 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

That's actually a great way to live, and I respect it.

Hi Manwon

Thanks, life has taught me to be cautious and I am well aware of how tech tracks.:tu:

12 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

Personal security to me is to level you can't even imagine,

Given my life I may be able to imagine ore than you think, war is war we have both survived our battles even if they are not done yet and attitude is everything.

15 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

I even use an encrypted router and software built by a friend who designs such things for military applications, every time he's updates the software he sends it to me, about every 6 months.

I do not have the advantage of the tech you use but have several security and cleaning apps from one company that has served me well because of how I browse and  the protocols that I use in my use in of this type of tech.

17 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

So I need absolutely no Virus protection at all, plus I only use Apple products, and the MAC Operating System is practically bullet proof anyway. 

I have no problem with saving files that have been scanned and wiping the drive if I suspect that it has been compromised, what I value is on external hard drives whether it's pics or research and do not use the cloud to store data as it is not in my physical possession and may not have the controls I apply in all aspects of my life .I grew up with the phrase "discretion is the greater part of valor" and live that to my best abilities. That said I am also the kind of guy that will not let someone bring their sh!t to my door if I think that they will compromise my life in a negative way. I will do what I believe in and not what others do or want me to.

31 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

But it goes farther than that for me, I have never used Face Book,

More than a decade ago when I first had a computer I had facebook and when I left back home there were people from a past life that tried to contact me and facebook wouldn't let me delete my account so i asked a couple of people to unfriend me and waited a couple of months and posted a death notice. End of story there, I do have an instagram account that I post some pics of my works and there is no personal info on my account and use it for limited personal exchanges. In as sense it is advertising I don't have a personal need to put it all out there in this medium.

40 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

But it goes farther than that for me, I have never used Face Book, Twitter, or any other such media platform because their is no Security. I don't understand how people can put their presence online, it's truly flirting with disaster. I only have two photos online and they are  30 years old, I do this because if my background and to keep my family safe and nothing is more important than that. It is impossible if your share everything you do with others online, and terrible things can happen to people that they not capable of understanding, or that  they created the entire problem themselves. 

No, not me I totally agree with what you said about, but I take personal and online security much more seriously than most people today could imagine or ever understand!

Good on you.

Peace my friend!

Thanks and yes protecting my family was not letting to many people know that I had one to start with, I walked alone a great deal of my life in a world full of life and experience that probably only I can truly appreciate the reality that I am still alive. :lol::innocent::whistle:

50 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

Peace my friend

You as well.:)

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

There definitely some elements of truth in the article I read. You can see bots posting on Reddit. They farm karma. Bots are relatively new. We didn’t see them in the 90s or much in the 2000s. The internet is trending into a more AI centred network just not to the extent the conspiracy is claiming.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

There's a difference of being a conspiracy and being painted as a conspiracy theory. When something is smeared as a conspiracy theory, you have to take a very close look because those are cases of (this was deleted off of this website after the word "of" when I mentioned the next wording)  wwrrongg tth1nk and are harmful to governing interests.

Edited by llegendary
  • Haha 1

• 10 months later...

Proof that this is total BS?  No actual intelligence would post anything close to the amount of utter stupidity that gets posted online. 

I do think the algorithms are deliberately limiting our choices into ones based on our previous habits.  We all need to become more weird and eclectic to beat those bots who want to tell us what to buy.  Otherwise our internet lives slowly become an echo chamber.

Edited by Alchopwn
  • Like 1

The internet has become less user accessible and more streamlined to be out of touch to the average user. There were fake sites, bots, scams almost since its inception but now it is more a tool used by groups to influence people. I miss the "old" (as opposed to "real") internet when you could do more. Now everything is behind apps and user agreements. Sort of like the way older cars and appliances were easier to use and fix before onboard computers. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

i just want to write that it’s been awesome speaking with all my alter egos on my psicadelic dream called internet.

• Haha 1

• 1 year later...
Posted (edited)

This is one of the very few conspiracy theories which actually has a ring of truth to it. I didn't get connected to the internet properly until 2014. Prior to this I could only access the internet in public libraries or cyber cafés but there just seemed to be so many more obscure websites pre-2007. Particularly if you were interested in reading about black helicopters, FEMA camps and Project Blue Beam which I was. 

Edited by Whelmar