Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Weird conspiracy claims the Internet is 'fake'


UM-Bot
 Share

Recommended Posts

On 9/7/2021 at 2:55 PM, OverSword said:

Years ago you could get on someone's website for anything from original music, to art, to conspiracy theories to, you name it.  From that page you would find links to their "friends' website.  That's how I found UM and UM also used to have links to similar sites (if I remember correctly) but no more.  Years ago you could follow rabbit holes for hours and I don't feel that vibe anymore.  The internet is comparably boring to me now.  It's more useful for watching movies without a physical player or a disc, or shopping for shoes than it is for intellectual fun.  Maybe the internet is now not only fake, but also dead. 

It's not just you, it's true. Like when everything became google I noticed the switch. Somehow it got censored and all the really interesting things disappeared. All the little private sites from random people, including mine. I remember being really suspicious of it when I noticed the change, because a lot of the really cool things being shared that I wanted to see again suddenly didn't exist and there were no sources on them, if so it was incredibly biased uninformational bits. I thought it was the search engine and everything being switched into a propaganda and targeted marketing tool.

  • Like 2
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sadly i already had this same discussion a while back with a girl who thinks the world is flat. She didn't like my idea of satellites being in orbit. So then she declared that the internet was fake :rolleyes:

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just goes to show there are people out there with no internet or cell phone, using DOS tower computers with floppy disk drives and CRT monitors, who still text each other in code on their pagers.:yes:

Edited by Hammerclaw
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Fake or not, the Internet sucks these days. A person can't even use it to get laid anymore, what with all the monitoring and list making and freaky catfish crap.

I say let it die. Then, from the ashes will arise a new and better phoenix, that will allow human beings to literally plug their heads into each others' and experience the true horrors of walking in someone else's shoes. It will bring a whole new meaning to the word "sharing".

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, theSOURCE said:

Fake or not, the Internet sucks these days. A person can't even use it to get laid anymore, what with all the monitoring and list making and freaky catfish crap.

Tried Grindr?

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've been active online for the past twenty years, since I was just a kid, and it really has changed quite a lot and mainly for the worst. UM is kind of a bastion of older web forums which has managed to survive the dawn of social media, but millions of other communities haven't, new ones don't catch on, and the likes of Reddit and Facebook have fundamentally changed netiquette, if you will. The Internet is no longer the exclusive domain of enthusiasts interacting with one another, it's now much more like a public park. As a consequence, corporations actually give a **** now, and they've sanitized, sterilized, and corporatized the net. Google will no longer readily deliver to you a slew of fan sites when you search a topic--you now have to specifically know the names of these sites if you want them to be returned. Otherwise all you're going to get are sponsored links to Amazon, eBay, *maybe* an official website, and the tabloids. Gone are the days of somebody's geocities page being the top result for something like Lord of the Rings or Star Trek, now are the days of burying that content or outright removing it from the results in favor of BuzzFeed, IMDB, Wikipedia, and TechRadar. Creators online are no longer enthusiasts doing cool things for fun, but for profit, and they do so at the handful of designated financial hubs, creatively beholden to the guidelines of places like Patreon. As mentioned before, affiliate links on smaller websites have died. Even in the signatures in this thread there are not links to personal websites or blogs. You could hop from site to site to site, all different, unique, all with character, because--again--it was enthusiasts just kind of making things specifically to be explored.

You can find this stuff still, if you try. The point is that the corporations actively try to hide it from you, modern Internet culture actively discourages the sort of whimsy which used to permeate the net, and the standardization of platforms has led to a dearth of unique content and style.

It's not that you're all robots, it's that Google, which used to be one's gateway to the Internet, is no longer interested in showing you what you want to see, but what they have been paid to show you.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, AlphaGeek said:

Don't tell Al Gore. He is already p.o.'d that Florida, and New York didn't sink like 8 years ago.

I, at least, am totally willing to surrender Florida to the sea. The meth-ed up dolphins might be a problem, though.

--Jaylemurph

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have a brother-in-law in a wheelchair. He's had spina bifida his entire life and is now stuck in the chair. I'm pretty sure he's faking, but I can't prove it yet. Even the government makes him prove he's still handicapped every few years. I don't think they believe him either. Bet he's the guy behind the fake internet AI!!!

For the record, he is handicapped. His legs are shorter than his torso, turned outwards, and totally undeveloped. He has to go every few years to prove he is handicapped. I kid you not.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/7/2021 at 7:06 PM, Scholar4Truth said:

Yes its true the internet went offline years ago we are now all plugged in the Neuralink ;)

as much as it sounds crazy, it adds up, tens, hundreds of millions of people worldwide, got neural shorts in their brains, and all their neural connections are leading to one place, TDS, it is like their brains got rewired, i saw people i know for years, change dramatically over very short time

Edited by aztek
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, aztek said:

as much as it sounds crazy, it adds up, tens, hundreds of millions of people worldwide, got neural shorts in their brains, and all their neural connections are leading to one place, TDS, it is like their brains got rewired, i saw people i know for years, change dramatically over very short time

Nope. It doesn't.

You were quite right when you said it sounds crazy.

--Jaylemurph

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, jaylemurph said:

Nope. It doesn't.

You were quite right when you said it sounds crazy.

--Jaylemurph

of course it does,  this board  is a living proof. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/7/2021 at 7:16 PM, OverSword said:

I'm not moaning at others I'm just saying that from my perspective the web is not as vibrant as it used to be.  There is a ton on it, certainly, but I think after a certain point in life you will find it's not as substantial as it seems now.   One day you may agree with me, who knows?

I understand where you are coming from.  Perhaps it is that the internet isn't new anymore.   I remember being enthralled with being able to search out things I never could before, but now it's just kind of expected.   I remember pulling up nudie pics that I never could before.  Now it is just common.  

Edited by Myles
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Myles said:

I understand where you are coming from.  Perhaps that the internet isn't new anymore.   I remember being enthralled with being able to search out things I never could before, but now it's just kind of expected.   I remember pulling up nudie pics that I never could before.  Now it is just common.  

Very true. I'm old enough to remember when TV first came into our home - it was amazing! Now.....?

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Obviousman said:

Very true. I'm old enough to remember when TV first came into our home - it was amazing! Now.....?

You are old.  

I do remember our first TV with a remote.  Had a big wire that ran from the handheld across the floor to the TV.   It would only control On/Off and volume.  

Edited by Myles
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Myles said:

You are old.  

I do remember our first TV with a remote.  Had a big wire that ran from the handheld across the floor to the TV.   It would only control On/Off and volume.  

Did the remote kinda look like a rocket? I remember one like that. Didn't care so much about the TV but the remote! A rocket!

Edited by Obviousman
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Obviousman said:

Did the remote kinda look like a rocket? I remember one like that. Didn't care so much about the TV but the remote! A rocket!

Nope.   Maybe that would have been better.  

 

It looked kind of like this one which oddly is called space command to go with your rocket theme.

 

image.png.1ce53c8ac6afc09eae36dd820e2d7080.png

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/20/2021 at 1:44 PM, Myles said:

Nope.   Maybe that would have been better.  

 

It looked kind of like this one which oddly is called space command to go with your rocket theme.

 

image.png.1ce53c8ac6afc09eae36dd820e2d7080.png

That is known as a clicker :yes:  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/9/2021 at 7:17 PM, Xetan said:

I've been active online for the past twenty years, since I was just a kid, and it really has changed quite a lot and mainly for the worst. UM is kind of a bastion of older web forums which has managed to survive the dawn of social media, but millions of other communities haven't, new ones don't catch on, and the likes of Reddit and Facebook have fundamentally changed netiquette, if you will. The Internet is no longer the exclusive domain of enthusiasts interacting with one another, it's now much more like a public park. As a consequence, corporations actually give a **** now, and they've sanitized, sterilized, and corporatized the net. Google will no longer readily deliver to you a slew of fan sites when you search a topic--you now have to specifically know the names of these sites if you want them to be returned. Otherwise all you're going to get are sponsored links to Amazon, eBay, *maybe* an official website, and the tabloids. Gone are the days of somebody's geocities page being the top result for something like Lord of the Rings or Star Trek, now are the days of burying that content or outright removing it from the results in favor of BuzzFeed, IMDB, Wikipedia, and TechRadar. Creators online are no longer enthusiasts doing cool things for fun, but for profit, and they do so at the handful of designated financial hubs, creatively beholden to the guidelines of places like Patreon. As mentioned before, affiliate links on smaller websites have died. Even in the signatures in this thread there are not links to personal websites or blogs. You could hop from site to site to site, all different, unique, all with character, because--again--it was enthusiasts just kind of making things specifically to be explored.

You can find this stuff still, if you try. The point is that the corporations actively try to hide it from you, modern Internet culture actively discourages the sort of whimsy which used to permeate the net, and the standardization of platforms has led to a dearth of unique content and style.

It's not that you're all robots, it's that Google, which used to be one's gateway to the Internet, is no longer interested in showing you what you want to see, but what they have been paid to show you.

Way back when if you were looking for information on a certain subject you had to actively look for it. This often led to rabbit holes and you'd end up never even finding what you were searching for and you didn't care. These days there's no reason to really look because you can always get the Cliffs Notes from Social Media with extra added sensationalism and opinions.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Dial up that was proper webby net log in go and make a cuppa feed the dog cook ya dinner then come back to your computer just in time to get on line

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

there are alternatives to google and bing, like duckduckgo or ecosia, they plant a three every search, I kid you not. These last two gives also better results than google.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/8/2021 at 8:53 PM, Nnicolette said:

It's not just you, it's true. Like when everything became google I noticed the switch. Somehow it got censored and all the really interesting things disappeared.

Money?  Google found a way to prioritize searches to sites that advertise and make them money. Every web address becomes a potential money generation site.  Internet providers prioritize paying sites with lots of advertising traffic.  Everybody else gets pushed to the outskirts.  Anything that does not show up in a search is unavailable unless you already know th eaddress. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/7/2021 at 4:16 PM, OverSword said:

One day you may agree with me, who knows?

On many days I have agreed with you.  Some of the adventure and unexpected is gone but the utility is still there. I use it for education quite a bit now, but the surprises have become much rarer.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/9/2021 at 4:20 PM, Hammerclaw said:

Just goes to show there are people out there with no internet or cell phone, using DOS tower computers with floppy disk drives and CRT monitors, who still text each other in code on their pagers.:yes:

That's a frightening thought how do they survive:w00t:, I bet they have Neanderthal DNA, that must be the problem!!!!!!!!:wacko::lol:

Peace my friend!!!!!:tu:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.