Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Tesla's new robot - is it really a good idea ?

UM-Bot

Robot with ai are inevitable... On the personal informations side, we have already so many stuff spying us that one more will change more ore less nothing. We have home management and driving system that have enough reach to kill us if they go haywire... Putting it in an humanoid form change nothing beside making it look more human.

Edited by Jon the frog

Someone's gotta quote Blade Runner sooner or later! :lol:

"Replicants are like any other machine. They're either a benefit or a hazard. If they're a benefit, it's not my problem."

A reasonable statement I'd say.

Intelligent machines will be crucial in areas such as space exploration, and working in extreme environments where conditions are too hazardous for delicate biological entities such as ourselves.

As with almost everything a human hand touches, we'll no doubt find a way to mess progress up with greed and shortsightedness though.

• Like 2

One thing's certain... things will get interesting.

It’s a concept, AFAIK they don’t even have a prototype yet.

Unfortunately I think that this is just more vapourware from Elon which will probably not come to fruition.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Artificial intelligence in whatever shape is still not a self-aware threat to anyone at this time. MAYBE someday we will be able to make a computer so advanced that it could become aware but even then I can't imagine anyone creating something like that without a self destruct or at least shutdown on demand as part of its base program. 

Have you been to Walmart recently? Have you seen the floor cleaning machine with no one at the wheel? There is a job replaced but where people fear robotics knocking people out of a job it�s been going on for years. Watch that robotic floor cleaner it has sensors that picks up on people walking around so it just stops. And it waits, and waits then it goes back to cleaning the floor. Is it better than a human? Safer? Faster? No it�s cheaper than paying some fool to ride it and risk hurting someone. So it�s not always about production it�s about the risk. Tesla is on the money looking into this but he�s stupid trying to build a humanoid robot. We are no where near this technology yet. When artificial intelligence wakes up if it ever becomes self aware then we are. But for now it would take that stupid robot 12 hours to run to the store. I imagine it would get robbed in the process. But most of all the batteries would be weak for it to run away and avoid it. Technology is not there he�s just playing with his money being stupid.

I think it's just more hot air from Musk.
I mean, cool that he's thinking about the future, but this isn't going to work well, it's not going to replace human minimum wage or manual labor workers, and if it even goes into production, it'll be like those Roombas or VR/AR goggles. A nice product for rich tech junkies that's inferior to a human or an older type of UI in every way.
Some people love the 'new', but what actually works is what actually sells. Look at how 3D tv did. Look at motion controls for video games. Look at foldable smartphone screens, VR headsets, etc....So much stuff that even if people can afford it, most don't even want it.

Besides, there will be a revolt if robots take jobs, but it won't be the robots rebelling, it'll be the millions of manual laborers, migrant farm workers, waitstaff, cashiers, etc. who will need UBI or something to live on once the Tech Class eliminates their jobs.

Edited by Seti42

Would be interesting, but Honda I think, has been working on ASIMO for something like 20 years...