Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Portland to declare trade and travel ban against Texas

OverSword

Almost seems like a good reason to ban abortion :lol:

Portland will be voting on an emergency resolution Wednesday that would ban trading with Texas and bar city employees from traveling to the state as a direct response to the state’s new abortion law. 

Portland Mayor Ted Wheeler made the announcement on Friday, stating, “The Portland City Council stands unified in its belief that all people should have the right to choose if and when they carry a pregnancy and that the decisions they make are complex, difficult, and unique to their circumstances.”

“We urge other leaders and elected bodies around the nation to join us in condemning the actions of the Texas state government,” Wheeler added.

Link

Seem unlikely that zero city employees are originally from Texas or may have family there so I can't see banning people from traveling just because they work for you.  

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

What about Florid, Arizona  and Tennessee?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tatetopa said:

Waiting for the travel ban  to Afghanistan.

Afghanistan has the excuse that it's run by extremist ultra-orthodox fundamentalist religious nutters.  Whereas as Texas ........ oh  :unsure2:

• Haha 7

1 minute ago, Desertrat56 said:

This is for the abortion law, but I see your point. 

Mississippi?

Wouldn't a trade and travel ban between states contravene federal law?

I mean, I'm just a curious Brit, but that sounds like an overextension of state powers to a layman?

• Like 3

1 minute ago, LV-426 said:

I mean, I'm just a curious Brit, but that sounds like an overextension of state powers to a layman?

The U.S. Constitution, through the Commerce Clause, gives Congress exclusive power over trade activities between the states and with foreign countries. Trade within a state is regulated exclusively by the states themselves.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I still have living relatives. in Texas.  It is possible I may have to defy that travel ban.

I was heartened but confused by Abbott's decision to get all rapists off the street.   I think it has been illegal since long before I left Texas over 30 years ago.  I have not heard of a decrease in rapes or rapists since Abbott took over.  Sounds like raw meat for the base and total BS.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Tatetopa said:

I still have living relatives. in Texas.  It is possible I may have to defy that travel ban.

Only if you work for the city.  Sadly the mayor of Portland can not micro-mange you personally. :(

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, OverSword said:

This is for the abortion law, but I see your point. 

Mississippi?

Oh, I didn't read the whole thing, I have Covid on the brain.    It would make sense if it were about Covid.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Almost seems like a good reason to ban abortion :lol:

Link

Seem unlikely that zero city employees are originally from Texas or may have family there so I can't see banning people from traveling just because they work for you.  

That's business travel, especially the kind that produces travel expense bills.  And I'll bet there's a way around it if a person is high enough on the totem pole.

Doug

• Like 1

If not for this being very dumb, it'd be comical.

"The Portland City Council stands unified in its belief that all people should have the right to choose"

Unless it is the right to choose to trade or travel to Texas.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, LV-426 said:

It would only contravene federal law if the state government blocked it for everyone in the state.  All the ban does really is prevent the state government from doing business with companies based in Texas and for the state to not pay for any state employee to travel and stay in Texas.

The business part is generally more for show then actually enforced with companies frequently being distributed across multiple states.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, OverSword said:

Only if you work for the city.  Sadly the mayor of Portland can not micro-mange you personally. 

I've done many foolish and some would say bad things, but never that.

• Haha 1

There's a whole swathe of 'Murica that I have a personal travel and trade ban in place for...

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, OverSword said:

Only if you work for the city.  Sadly the mayor of Portland can not micro-mange you personally. :(

There’s a kink for that on OnlyFans or FetLife I think.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

There’s a kink for that on OnlyFans or FetLife I think.

Not my thing, thanks :ph34r:

4 hours ago, Myles said:

If not for this being very dumb, it'd be comical.

"The Portland City Council stands unified in its belief that all people should have the right to choose"

Unless it is the right to choose to trade or travel to Texas.

That is absolutely hilarious.

• Like 1

Proof that the right doesn't have a corner on crazy.

I don't know what people are thinking.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, quiXilver said:

There's a whole swathe of 'Murica that I have a personal travel and trade ban in place for...

Yeah, those people are all bigots and racists. Oh, wait...

OMG!!! Texas may want tovrethink this!

KGW.com: Portland's planned boycott over Texas abortion law could cost Lone Star state 7 million a year.
https://www.kgw.com/article/news/local/portlands-boycott-texas-abortion-law-cost/283-61d19bfb-4986-431d-8128-42e841993f07

That's like 25 cents for every Texan!!

To use a quote from our President... "This is a big ****ing deal.". NOT!

Edited by DieChecker

16 hours ago, Desertrat56 said:

I think Oregon governor already claimed right to ban travel to Florida.... For racist voting laws...

I'll check.

Edit: can't immediately find anything on Florida. I guess it was probably California. Usually when California announces some kind of liberal woo, Oregon stands up and say, "Yeah, me too!".

Edited by DieChecker
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, GlitterRose said:

Proof that the right doesn't have a corner on crazy.

I don't know what people are thinking.

"Thinking" seems to be a luxury commodity these days.

For anyone that wants to take a balanced view and critique each issue on its own merits, it's like being stranded on a desert island with cannon-laden warships on either side, decked with furious sabre-rattling pirates... :unsure2:

• Like 3