Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

My University Sacrificed Ideas for Ideology. So Today I Quit.

el midgetron

2 hours ago, LV-426 said:

I know I'll take flak for saying that, and it is a generalization - some younger contestants still excel - but it is a very noticable trend.

I hope you are not basing that on only connect.   I struggle with that one.

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Tatetopa said:

I hope you are not basing that on only connect.   I struggle with that one.

I watched the beginning of a single episode of the show with family, when we ran out of other quizes to watch.

We got no further than looking at each other with puzzled expressions!

I suspect that some kind of narcotics are required to tune your brain into the appropriate wavelength to think that laterally! :lol:

• Haha 1

On 9/10/2021 at 11:42 AM, Michelle said:

You don't have to have peer reviewed papers to be invited to campuses for a debate, lecture or discussion.

There are generally no requirements to be a speaker; although, the best usually have some qualifications.  A college campus isn't like the public square on Main Street.  You have to be invited to speak.  But there are lots of clubs and associations that invite speakers all the time, so it isn't too hard to get invited.

The big problem arises when someone thinks you're doing "hate speech."  As that is usually defined by the listener, it can create problems for a controversial speaker.

Doug

In social debates, everyone should have a seat at the table and everything should be on the table. If not, debate devolves into mere discussions, reinforcing foregone conclusions.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Hammerclaw said:

In social debates, everyone should have a seat at the table and everything should be on the table. If not, debate devolves into mere discussions, reinforcing foregone conclusions.

You mean like on UM?

Doug

2 hours ago, Doug1066 said:

You mean like on UM?

Doug

More often than not. The only way you can usually get a debating experience here, is to argue from the perspective the majority is arguing against; become the devil's advocate, as it were. 

• Like 2